Sponsored by:

An Unlikely Comparison - 997 GTS vs. MB C63 AMB Black Series

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 06:59 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
We actually have the hill country here in NW Austin. Likely not as good as PA but hilly and fun. Plus where it's flat we can do 85 mph... boring drive though. I'd like to see the OP get the MB just to hear about some varying reviews on the forum. Would be interesting to see what he does after a few years of MB ownership. For me it would be the GTS with MT given the choice. BTW, beautiful g-red GTS cab!
This is exactly right. Very hilly in the Texas Hill Country, which begins with Austin and pushes west. As a passenger, can get car sick pretty quick at speed As a driver, its like our little bit of Bavaria, when the temperature gets below 50 for about 30 days in the dead of winter
Old 09-24-2012, 07:03 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by rodsky
Interested as to why as I have a similar car to you.

To the OP, I would ultimately pick a GTS. But from my perspective, its sorta apples and oranges. I view a 911 as a sports car with some GT like attributes. Comfortable, BT, Nav etc., so you can live with it daily. I view an M3 or a Mercedes as a Sporty Coupe/Sedan. So 911's (Carreras) start out as sports cars and Porsche makes them a little more GT. M3's and Mercedes Blk series start as sedans/coupes that the manufacturer tries to make more sporty. Different.

I had an M3 and while I liked it, it wasnt really that great at anything. But very good at a lot of things. I just prefer (for me) the sports car that I can live with daily. At some point i'm more inclined to go to a Gt3 which is further down the spectrum vs. "back" to a M3, AM, Maserati etc.

I'd love a F car - i like them. But when I get close to doing it I back away. Too much attention. Cant just run around town with it like I do the P car. I use the 997.2 for almost anything and fly very much under the radar - especially in LA.
I think that this is true/fair for the normal C63 AMG coupe. And I agree. I felt the same about my E46 M3. But this is a pretty raw version... coil over suspension, compound brakes, ridiculous engine, riduclous exhaust, (apparently) sharp steering, etc. This is a great comparison to the GT3RS 4.0 and the M3 GTS. Again, I'll take mine without all the wing and aerokit stuff, but I think it closes the coupe gap to a closer distance than a "typical" C63, M3, etc.

Old 09-24-2012, 07:48 PM
beden1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
We actually have the hill country here in NW Austin. Likely not as good as PA but hilly and fun. Plus where it's flat we can do 85 mph... boring drive though. I'd like to see the OP get the MB just to hear about some varying reviews on the forum. Would be interesting to see what he does after a few years of MB ownership. For me it would be the GTS with MT given the choice. BTW, beautiful g-red GTS cab!
Thanks, and I'm hoping this will be a keeper for many years.

I didn't know Austin had hill country. I just figured TX was all pretty flat as that is mostly what I've seen. My parents used to live in Houston and I used to travel to Dallas quite a bit.

A Maserati dealer opened near to where I live in PA. I passed by there today and a white coupe (GT?) pulled out in front of me. It sounded spectacular and possibly even better than a Ferrari. Whatever they did to make the exhaust sound like that, I want it on my car!

I don't know if that car had back seats, but it did look super sexy.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:03 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

I'll make it easy for you...

- Do you track? or plan to track at least a few times a year?

If so, get GTS (better yet GT3), if not, get Merc!

Done!
Old 09-24-2012, 08:27 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 843 Likes on 572 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
I'll make it easy for you...

- Do you track? or plan to track at least a few times a year?

If so, get GTS (better yet GT3), if not, get Merc!

Done!
He needs back seats so that rules out GT3.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:43 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rodsky
He needs back seats so that rules out GT3.
Yeah... I missed that, although not sure how big the kids are to fit in the back.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:22 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 843 Likes on 572 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
Yeah... I missed that, although not sure how big the kids are to fit in the back.
Its illegal (and kinda dangerous) to carry people in the back of a GT3 - there are no seats, seatbelts etc.

I have a 7 and a 8 year old and they fit very well in the back of my regular 911. Another reason I dont have a GT3 yet
Old 09-24-2012, 09:31 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
I have a C63 Black Series on order. 2013, one of very few. I ordered in a "subtle" spec, if that word can be used to describe this car. I.E. no wing, track pkg winglets, no matte paint, etc. Just Obsidian Black. Pretty standard spec. I have driven the "standard" C63 AMG coupe, but not the Black. From everything I read and hear, I expect it to be an "epic" (as the kids say) driving experience. Scored #2 to the 991 S as 2012 drivers car by Motor Trend, Chris Harris put it against a GT3 RS 4.0 on a recent review and raved, etc. Lots of positive press, essentially a detuned SLS AMG engine, etc.

Only problem is that the early November delivery is giving me too much time to think At the spec I ordered, the price is on equal footing to a brand new GTS. Or certainly, an opportunity to save $20k or so and pick up a lightly used GTS. I have driven several 997 S, but not the GTS. Again, I expect its as good if not slightly better driving experience with nice bells /whistles optioned. I have a read on a couple new and used that I could pull the trigger on.

They may seem like odd cars to compare. But I am looking for a weekend/toy that will be an experience and excite me. After several pristine 993s, I am looking for a more modern experience. But I require at least a small backseat. If you give yourself a roughly $100k or less budget for such a car, at least in my case, I come to these two choices. Yes, there is the 997 turbo, but having driven it (unholy fast) I find the experience a little clinincal. And for a weekend only toy, I dont think its the right choice. Of the Porsche lineup, the GTS seems the way to go.

So curious people reaction to these two cars and if if you had the option, which you would pick. Yes, I know that I am on a Porsche 997 board, and I know that the answers will be biased. But I have actually over the years found rennlisters to be enthusiasts, not just of Porsches, but in general. Which would you pick?

And before anyone mentions 2005 Aston Martins or new Maserati GTs, etc....those cars are all very cool looking and certainly head turners, but I think I would like to stick with Porsche or AMG. Not looking for the maintenance/reliability/depreciation headaches from exotics. The Audi RS5 is a car I have tried to get excited about, but for a weekend toy, it just doesnt cut it for me. And I dont like the direction BMW has gone on design and some other elements of their M cars. The M6 could maybe be interesting, but I dont think it will be as raw or fun as a GTS or Black Series.

Thanks!
Not sure I understand this thread, maybe its just me....probably

You new car will be here within 6 weeks, a beauty to add.....good luck

But your second thoughts, I would be costly to lose your deopsit as you had to have put a deposit on the Merc to order it right ???.......

If I were you I'd be over the moon Mr Sullivan, and countin the days..
Old 09-24-2012, 11:16 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Mumbles, refundable deposit, no issue there, they would easily sell the car to someone else. I am excited about the Black. But I also have really enoyed Porsches over the last several years...and the other day saw a GTS in person, white, beautiful, read a couple reviews, really got me thinking about one. I guess the point of my thread was just to vent a little amongs other enthusiasts, get some perspectives, etc. that may /may not influence final decision. I have a strong case of ADD sickness when it comes to cars, even when they are still on order
Old 09-24-2012, 11:30 PM
CAA
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

Why second guess yourself? Take delivery and if you dislike it after a few months switch up. That car's no slouch and finding a GTS isn't that hard...
Old 09-24-2012, 11:53 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Mumbles, refundable deposit, no issue there, they would easily sell the car to someone else. I am excited about the Black. But I also have really enoyed Porsches over the last several years...and the other day saw a GTS in person, white, beautiful, read a couple reviews, really got me thinking about one. I guess the point of my thread was just to vent a little amongs other enthusiasts, get some perspectives, etc. that may /may not influence final decision. I have a strong case of ADD sickness when it comes to cars, even when they are still on order
You'll go crazy like this... first off, test drive GTS, must be easy to find one to test drive, then I'd wait to see if they let you test drive the Merc when it's in... then pick one, can't go wrong either way.

Again, for tracking, I'd pick 911 anyday, for sports car with back seats and luxury, Merc looks like an amazing car!
Old 09-25-2012, 02:30 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Great problem to have Mr Sullivan. But I'd take your cards off the table until your ready to play. Your not certain about the Merc, so don't do it, drive a few , have some fun , then decide.

Good Luck
Old 09-25-2012, 03:58 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Mumbles
Great problem to have Mr Sullivan. But I'd take your cards off the table until your ready to play. Your not certain about the Merc, so don't do it, drive a few , have some fun , then decide.

Good Luck
If I did this, I would never have bought any of my cars!

I get it though, thanks for the advice...
Old 09-26-2012, 07:13 AM
hakaida702
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love my GTS, but it seems like you want something a bit more crazy so maybe the c63bs might be the right car for you. The only thing that I don't like about the bs is lack of aftermarket support. There's only a few companies that I know of that have stuff for the bs. You probably could flip the bs for a few bucks too if you decided to pass on it. Seems like theres people on mbworld.org that still want one and missed out on the final allocations.

I bought the GTS because I decided that it was time to get a proper midlife crisis car and I have wanted a Porsche for over 30 years. If I was the type of person that swapped out cars every few years then I don't know what I would pick, but hopefully this is a keeper car for me. It is everything I wanted and more. It can be very civilized in daily traffic and a crazy monster in sport and sport plus mode at the track.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:08 AM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What's the Porsche tag line?

There is no substitute

See you back here or on another Rennlist forum in 18 months. Meanwhile have fun with your right foot in that Black Series Benz.

Quick Reply: An Unlikely Comparison - 997 GTS vs. MB C63 AMB Black Series