Replaced IPD plenum w IPD Competition/82mm throttle body

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 05:57 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Replaced IPD plenum w IPD Competition/82mm throttle body

Here's my three cents on the plenum topic:

The origional IPD plenum was one of my favorite mods. The Competition plenum (do the other mods first) as before is another impressive piece of work. Gone is the drilled wedge diverter and the plastic coated Y. Here you do have a large, beautifully finished casting with a solid diverter; I could literally pass my fist throught the openings so unrestricted air flow seems assured. Greg provided the larger TB at a fair price and it came packaged as a factory piece. IPD's website has great pics so I won't bother here.

Installation for me was by Lynmore in Huntington. Tx guys. The adaptation process is noticeable. Driver adaptation involves learning that throttle response is improved. Unaware you might drive into the car in front of you leaving the first traffic light. Intake sound is different, more so at large applications of go and high revs. Most interesting to me was that on the pkwy I found higher oil temps at first. 225 in steady state running. After 2 runs through the gears I gratefully watched the needle drop and settle back at 210 which is normal for my motor. Good ECU!

Most noticeable to me is a sense of freer running and a smoother, more linear (and stronger) power delivery. Torque seems significantly increased especially between 3k to 6k rpm and the motor seems so much happier to play in the upper ranges that I find myself smiling more. I cannot speak to HPmax but the revlimiter will greet you sooner than before. Over a measured piece of road on my personal closed airfield I find myself into 4th sooner and carrying 2-3 more mph than before. Engine roar at WOT over 6k rpm is stimulating once you learn to expect it.

Bottom line: as before I'll not be sending this part back. There is the caveat from IPD that you should first do full exhaust and possibly an ecu mod before going here. I have no association w IPD. etc. just sharing the joy. Btw, ne1 starting out that wants the fine original IPD piece: I have one for sale. Pm me. After 6 1/2 years I love this car even more.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:22 PM
joelpirela
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so, what car do you have? how did you mate the air box rubber tube to the new diameter of the TB? do you have a ecu tune? sounds like the combo works.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:14 AM
s329
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

to the OP, does the GT3 TB that IPD sells include all the proper mounting hardware? Was it a plug and play application as far as the TB? Just need to confirm before I order the kit. Thx.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:30 AM
joelpirela
Racer

I think the TB just needs a plenum that matches the opening. if you have both, it's pretty much plug and play. too bad that you need a full exhaust and tune to take full advantage of this...
Old 09-18-2012, 07:05 AM
s329
Racer

understood, but the GT3 throttle body isn't just "one part" it needs OEM supplied screws and metal bracket to complete the actual throttle body. Once you have the complete throttle body, obv that connects directly to the new plenum they are selling.

I was fortunate enough to purchase a new X51 Carbon air box for a very good price so this is a full install for me including the airbox, TB and new plenum. No need for adaptor sleeves...etc.

One day I'll get the intake manifolds done too, but that is a much bigger job.

Last edited by s329; 09-18-2012 at 07:06 AM. Reason: n/a
Old 09-18-2012, 09:25 AM
joelpirela
Racer

How much did you find the Carbon Airbox? (if you don't mind me asking) I'm looking for one like crazy... but really don't want to pay $3000+

joel
Old 09-18-2012, 10:44 AM
s329
Racer

PM Sent
Old 09-18-2012, 03:52 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Hello. The throttle body is "plug and play." There is a large diameter supplied connecting pipe that runs from the airbox to the plenum. There is a cap to close off the outlet to the "resonator" on the top of the box. Nothing else is necessary. This is on an 06 997S with full AWE exhaust and Revo ecu tune. The .1 motors do seem to respond nicely to this sort of thing.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:49 PM
joelpirela
Racer

s329 got the PM. thanks.
This seems to be a great mod!
Old 09-18-2012, 09:04 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by s329

I was fortunate enough to purchase a new X51 Carbon air box for a very good price so this is a full install for me including the airbox, TB and new plenum. ...

One day I'll get the intake manifolds done too, but that is a much bigger job.
You have to choose between either using the IPD set-up with the stock manifolds or go with the full three piece x51 intake manifolds. The IPD plenun is not interchangeable with the x51 manifold pieces.

I have the two x51 side manifolds and a GT3 throttle body, just missing the one piece aluminum center manifold to complete the x51 conversion. Haven't installed any of it yet. Now that the IPD comp plenum is out, which is a much easier install, I'm considering going that route. The x51 manifold install requires the engine to be lowered a bit to allow a minimum of access to an incredibly cramped work area.

The IPD unit simply replaces the first of the stock two, plastic center manifolds.
This is an easy swap out of bits, the x51 job looks like a b!tch.

I'm curious if the x51 intake manifold setup can out perform the IPD? , or not? Seems like the factory designed, from the air scoops to the intake ports, x51 power kit, might have an edge?
Old 09-19-2012, 10:27 AM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RollingArt

I'm curious if the x51 intake manifold setup can out perform the IPD? , or not? Seems like the factory designed, from the air scoops to the intake ports, x51 power kit, might have an edge?
Some top end horsepower vs midrange torque bump perhaps? Euromags described x51 as "pulling away slowly (from the S) in upper gears" Of questionable value for real world driving on the street. Perhaps someone in the area has a kitted car and would agree to a roll on in the interest of science

Last edited by gpjli2; 09-19-2012 at 11:18 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 12-25-2015, 06:49 AM
Adam M Aldrich
5th Gear

Default 996 ipd comp plenum and gt3 throttle

I've tried two different throttle bodies, reconnecting hoses, checking vacuum lines and everything else I can think of. My issue is the car will start and shut down within seconds or it will run and misfire. The only code thrown so far that pops up every time is maf below limit. Tried cleaning it and removing it and still the same results every time. Has anyone else had this issue at all?
Old 12-25-2015, 07:47 AM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam M Aldrich
I've tried two different throttle bodies, reconnecting hoses, checking vacuum lines and everything else I can think of. My issue is the car will start and shut down within seconds or it will run and misfire. The only code thrown so far that pops up every time is maf below limit. Tried cleaning it and removing it and still the same results every time. Has anyone else had this issue at all?
Been there before so I feel your pain. Have you reinstalled the stock plenum and throttle body? This will help isolate you problem.
Old 12-25-2015, 09:04 AM
Adam M Aldrich
5th Gear

Going to tackle that over the weekend as of right now, I'm going to hope it's something related to the changed throttle body as I doubt it's a plenum issue.
Old 12-25-2015, 12:09 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 133 Posts

I did the IDP competition plenum and GT3 TB swap on my 997.1S and it worked great no issues or problems. But it takes some bloody fingers to get things lined up and sealed properly. Getting the rubber boot that's after the TB to line up and properly seal on the manifold is tricky and done more by feel. Also the new tube that goes from the airbox to the TB is very stiff and once again hard to line up and get sealed. If it's not working right you don't have things lined up and sealed properly and have a vacuum leak.

Quick Reply: Replaced IPD plenum w IPD Competition/82mm throttle body