Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replaced IPD plenum w IPD Competition/82mm throttle body

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2015, 12:40 PM
Adam M Aldrich
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had to trim the rubber boot a smidge to get it all to fit in place. Didn't expect that to be an issue at all.
Old 06-27-2016, 01:18 PM
BBurago
Track Day

Default Any resolution

Originally Posted by Adam M Aldrich
I've tried two different throttle bodies, reconnecting hoses, checking vacuum lines and everything else I can think of. My issue is the car will start and shut down within seconds or it will run and misfire. The only code thrown so far that pops up every time is maf below limit. Tried cleaning it and removing it and still the same results every time. Has anyone else had this issue at all?
I'm having the same exact issue. Did you ever find a way for the larger plenum and throttle body to work for you?
Old 06-27-2016, 03:46 PM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by BBurago
I'm having the same exact issue. Did you ever find a way for the larger plenum and throttle body to work for you?
I've installed and uninstalled these many times. Take off the TB and run your hand inside of the plenum and feel where it mates to the rubber sleeve. It is very easy to have the rubber sleeve not set causing an air leak and a poor running engine. The rest of the stuff is in plain sight and easy to confirm its connected properly.
Old 06-27-2016, 07:12 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by jkw911
I've installed and uninstalled these many times. Take off the TB and run your hand inside of the plenum and feel where it mates to the rubber sleeve. It is very easy to have the rubber sleeve not set causing an air leak and a poor running engine. The rest of the stuff is in plain sight and easy to confirm its connected properly.
I applied some Armor All to the tube to make it easier to slide into the airbox and TB.
Old 06-28-2016, 12:07 AM
BBurago
Track Day

Thanks fellow members!! I did as suggested, too early to confirm but there was indeed an leak. Seemed like the joining tubes at each side of the plenum "T" may have not fallen in the groove of the plenum. Upon removal I studied it well, and upon reinstall I made certain everything lined up. I was working with a bright flashlight and an inspection mirror this time. Towards completion, I inspected my fabspeed CF intake tube. I noticed a 1.5" hair line crack at the end where the tube joins the TB, now being that I don't have a 1.5" overlap on the joining hose, I decided to fit the hose and clamp it down gently off the car. I quickly confirmed it was clamping "out of round", so I turned off the lights in the garage dropped my bright little flashlight in the intake tube, cupped the end and light shined through. What do you know, a very evident leak!
The void was equvalant to the size of a standard sized flat screwdriver tip. I mixed some epoxy tonight, spread it evenly on both sides of the intake tube and I'll give it 24hrs to cure before I complete the reinstall. I'll come back in a couple of days to report if all is better. For me it would mean no more MAF CELs or hesitation at engine idle.
Old 07-04-2016, 01:21 AM
BBurago
Track Day

Default Not perfect but making progress.

I haven't given up yet. I want to like this mod, and I have been verifying and correcting everything I possibly could.
MAF CODE P1095 was my first issue the very next day after doing the mod. I was told to check for vacuum leaks so I took everything back out and upon doing the reinstall I noticed the leak at the top end ( bottom side) of my Fabspeed intake tube, I repaired it but continued to have MAF code come up. Even after resets of the TB and ECU. I decided to try a new Bosch maf and guess what, after the 1st start up with the new Maf, CEL comes on again (P1095).
I troubleshot further, continued to listen for leaks by moving hoses around and I could hear a faint hiss coming from the O-ring at the end of the quick connect hose attached to the side of the plenum. That hose is rigid but under its own weight tends to slope a bit and allow the O-ring to leak ever so slightly. I could have simply zip tied it to other hoses but I decided to swap out the O-ring for one I just happened to have in my garage. The new o-ring was a "God send", It took some force to seat and clip to the machined end of the plenum but it was exactly what I needed, no more hiss and the tube no longer sags under its weight. I have started the car multiple times since and so far, no CEL. The thing now is that at start up, the car sounds right, but after 45 seconds it would fluctuate a bit and I would have to help stabilize the rpm's by applying slightly on the gas for about another 30 seconds, but the good thing is, I think the new MAF is definitely helping in keeping the CEL from coming on. Fixing the leaks of course too, but the new MAF has my car running much smoother with this mod. With my dying MAF car was acting strange. Now no more flat spots getting up to speed. Now I'm just hoping the ECU continues to learn. I'm ready to pick up the phone and call IDP but sure I'm not going to get anyone because of the holiday.
I'm wondering if others have experienced the initial idle chasing mostly after cold starts at first with this mod, and did your stock ECU end up adapting to specific behavior I mention now, or did a specific tune correct it for you? I'm curious.
BTW I've been driving it pretty hard, doing some hard pulls as recommended to help adaptation, but just concerned about the stuttering messing up my car. I definitely don't want to continue letting that happen at the start of every day I drive it. It doesn't sound and feel healthy for the car.
Old 07-20-2016, 10:10 PM
BBurago
Track Day

Default Problem continues

I'm still having the same exact issue. Car doesn't seem to want to adapt. Not sure why anymore. Upon every cold start the car missfires to the point of almost stalling and only after another minute does she stabilize and run smooth. I'm gonna go back to my stock setup to have to figure this one out. Seems like everyone else just had the car "learn" and adapt.
Old 07-20-2016, 11:35 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Remembering back to the original post I have to say that any adjustment was smooth and the motor ran good from the get go. Something that wrong has not to do with adaptation imo. I'd be concerned about air leaks as has been stated.
Old 07-21-2016, 09:34 AM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 133 Posts

Mine worked fine from the first install. Putting it all in is done by feel in the back where you can't see anything. My fingers came out bloody though. I got used to tight spaces from working on motorbikes over 20+ years.
Old 07-21-2016, 05:42 PM
Wasserkühlung
Rennlist Member

Just got my 997.1 S back on the road. Did a Aasco flywheel, Quaife LSD, GT3 TB, Comp plenum and Evoms intake. I drove the car for about 5 miles and still may need some more driving but I did get a MAF code P1095 and P2087,P2089 (lean codes both banks at idle). I was told no tuning would be needed and the ECU should adapt. I cleared codes and will drive it again tonight. If I get the lean codes again I suspect I am getting unmetered air in. Hoping for the best.
Old 07-21-2016, 05:52 PM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Wasserkühlung
Just got my 997.1 S back on the road. Did a Aasco flywheel, Quaife LSD, GT3 TB, Comp plenum and Evoms intake. I drove the car for about 5 miles and still may need some more driving but I did get a MAF code P1095 and P2087,P2089 (lean codes both banks at idle). I was told no tuning would be needed and the ECU should adapt. I cleared codes and will drive it again tonight. If I get the lean codes again I suspect I am getting unmetered air in. Hoping for the best.
I assume you installed everything tight so my suggestion if the code returns is to reinstall your stock air box and see if that corrects your issue. The ECU learning the new air flow should not trigger a CEL and it is doubtful that an unrelated component failed.
Old 07-21-2016, 06:07 PM
Wasserkühlung
Rennlist Member

I assume you installed everything tight so my suggestion if the code returns is to reinstall your stock air box and see if that corrects your issue. The ECU learning the new air flow should not trigger a CEL and it is doubtful that an unrelated component failed.

Yes I agree. My battery was totally dead so its on the charger now and codes are cleared. Checked again for air leaks with spraying some brake cleaner around the connections and got no fluctuation in the idle. I also installed Billy Boat Headers. Its amazing how good the throttle response is. Also put in some PTX gear oil and no more hard 1st and 2nd gear engagements. Looking forward to getting it back on the road.
Old 05-29-2017, 11:30 AM
BBurago
Track Day

I returned to say thanks to jkw911. His suggestion of returning to stock air box was the best solution. I now believe It was never really an air leak that caused my problems. The fabspeed competition intake (dual cone type) caused too much turbulent air and messed with the maf, thus triggering the p1095 CEL. Hope this follow up helps others. To prove this, I did an experiment in which I installed an air straightener screen pulled from an old stock air box and placed it deep into to fabspeed intake and the CEL never returned again. Ran it like that for months, loved the sound at high rpm, but ultimately found the stock box provided the best power.
To fabspeed, why didn't you guys ever incorporate an air straightener in your tube to begin with? Seems like it's a requirement when running a competition plenum and gt3 throttle body. Oh well..., hope this post helps others.
Old 05-29-2017, 09:16 PM
Joehatz
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 39 Posts

2006 Carrera S Cab.

I installed the Fabspeed Air Intake and GT3 TB and Plenum. Had no issues from the start and has worked flawlessly ever since.
Also installed the Fabspeed Mufflers, Cat Bypass Pipes and ECU Tune since then with no issues.
No Check engine lights or codes and car runs perfectly.
Had the TB and Plenum installed by Local Porsche Dealer and replaced the rubber boots to the Plenum at the same time as they had problems with the ones on previous vehicles not sealing when changing the TB.
It is hard to say whether I notice a difference in power but sure sounds nice.
Would I do it again, not sure may be just the Mufflers and Air Intake as that alone made the car sound really good.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:32 PM
andrewjt19
Advanced

Is the GT3 throttle body a direct fit for the stock 996 throttle body?

Quick Reply: Replaced IPD plenum w IPD Competition/82mm throttle body