Intro & Soon to be 997 Owner

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 11:36 PM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 64 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Intro & Soon to be 997 Owner

Longtime 911 owner here who was an inch or two away last week from purchasing a 2010 Cayenne GTS (very special ride but the anticipated depreciation gave me cold feet) and who, while searching for the Cayenne GTS kept being distracted by various 997s, most frequently different flavors of a 2009 C4S.

Long story short, my wonderful spousal unit gave me the thumbs-up to bring home a 997 4S (if it has PDK so she and daughter #2 can drive it!) and I've begun negotiation on a potential candidate; time will tell if it is the one however it does have a number of options that I desire.

My use of this vehicle will be once a month trips down to Santa Barbara where my wife attends grad school, as well as infrequent trips to visit/fetch my kids at a couple of UC campuses in NorCal, as well as some local travel in the Bay Area (and a perhaps a couple of blasts to the Eastern Sierra...and perhaps beyond!) during Spring/Summer/Fall.

I'm having a bit of trouble gauging fair selling prices and I'm wondering if y'all could please provide me with some guidance on the following vehicle, which has a tad over 40k miles, one-owner, perfect cosmetic and mechanical condition, has had the 40k service, has had new brakes and new tires installed and has CPO warranty through June 2015 (or 100k miles). The current price is $69k (negotiated down from $72. Options include:

Meteor Grey Metallic
Black Full Leather
Floor Mats in Interior Color
Universal Audio Interface
Bluetooth Phone Interface
Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)
Bose High End Sound Package
Self Dimming Mirrors
Sport Chrono Package Plus
XM Radio
Navigation Module for PCM
Sport Bucket Seats
PASM Sports Suspension
PAG Code - Launch code

I suspect that I'll attempt to negotiate the price down another couple of thousand dollars based primarily on mileage. Any thoughts if that is fair??? Any thoughts on the build options and what I may want (and not even know it)?

Thanks in advance for any/all feedback!!!
Old 09-16-2012, 01:13 AM
Money Pit 951
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome. Price seems high, but I don't know the west coast market
Old 09-16-2012, 01:14 AM
David in Talent
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That car is most likely a LAUNCH CAR . Launch Cars were distributed to dealers when the C4S was first introduced and were used as demos for prospective dealers to drive. Each of these demos had exactly the same options and the options you listed were the options for the demos. That's most likely why it has high mileage. Definitely get a PPI (pre-purchase inspection) that includes the readouts of any over-revs and the level (Level 1 to Level 4), level 4 being SERIOUS as in a missed downshift known as the "money shift' !

I remember that a number of these demos were very difficult to sell because of the Sport Bucket Seats which can be very difficult to get into and out of. Most customers preferred the Sport Seats which were easier for ingress/egress. Try them on for size and see if you like them. I have a sneaking suspicion that your significant other WON'T ! Good luck !
Old 09-16-2012, 02:23 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,037 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by David in Talent
That car is most likely a LAUNCH CAR . Launch Cars were distributed to dealers when the C4S was first introduced and were used as demos for prospective dealers to drive. Each of these demos had exactly the same options and the options you listed were the options for the demos. That's most likely why it has high mileage. Definitely get a PPI (pre-purchase inspection) that includes the readouts of any over-revs and the level (Level 1 to Level 4), level 4 being SERIOUS as in a missed downshift known as the "money shift' !
Tough to do with a PDK car. Maybe even impossible unless you know something I don't. And yes.....that looks like a launch car. I have one just like it and it's a blast. The sport buckets get an undeserved bad rap imo. For someone who's in reasonably good shape, the slight extra effort to get in and out is well worth it. Not to sound overly dramatic but they completely transform the connection between driver/car. And they really are comfortable once you're installed. Go from the sport bucket to a regular stock seat and you feel like you're sitting on a padded table top.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:11 AM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Many thanks for all of the invaluable feedback!

I've yet to sit in the sport buckets as the 4S is at the wrong end of the state but the wife and I are in good physical condition so they aren't a dealbreaker (and daughter #2 said "OMG those seats are incredible!)

I'm not limiting my search to the west coast and I'm aware of the approximate cost is to ship (enclosed) from various locations and I'll use this as a tactic. That said, perhaps if the perception is that these vehicles are difficult to sell I should be more aggressive on the downside as I'm not emotionally connected with it and can move on if it falls through.

An independent PPI will be performed on just about any of the vehicles when I get to that stage.

Sandwedge: if that would be your 4S in your avatar, that is exactly one of the reasons why I want one...what a tush...just gorgeous!!!

Thanks guys...if you have any leads I'm all ears and greatly appreciate having my hand held.

David
Old 09-16-2012, 11:39 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,273 Likes on 586 Posts

I came very close to buying one of these exact launch cars. It's got the Sports suspension that lowers it by 20mm. It s a great car and the seats? You have to limbo into them but once you're there they are great. Loved them, but not for everyone. I was looking for more support on spirited runs on the twisties. Super nice color combination. I would swap out the steering wheel for the new Carrera Sport and you'll be done. Good luck!
Old 09-16-2012, 08:24 PM
P0rsch3F113
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Tough to do with a PDK car. Maybe even impossible unless you know something I don't. And yes.....that looks like a launch car. I have one just like it and it's a blast. The sport buckets get an undeserved bad rap imo. For someone who's in reasonably good shape, the slight extra effort to get in and out is well worth it. Not to sound overly dramatic but they completely transform the connection between driver/car. And they really are comfortable once you're installed. Go from the sport bucket to a regular stock seat and you feel like you're sitting on a padded table top.
+1 on the Sport Seats!
Old 09-16-2012, 08:29 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Keep in touch and I can suggest a few excellent Porsche roads between here and there!
Old 09-16-2012, 11:48 PM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Keep in touch and I can suggest a few excellent Porsche roads between here and there!
Will do. I'll be staying in the Ventura/Oxnard area so I can easily pop into WLA to see my sister. I'd sure like to see your beautiful (is that Mexico Blue???) C4S!
Old 09-16-2012, 11:57 PM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

One more question: does anyone know how many '09 launch vehicles were manufactured?

Also, I spent some time at Sonnen Porsche today and I was advised that the 2013 C4S will be delivered soon and Porsche will also deliver special launch vehicles.

I'm hoping that this will break loose some of the '09s and '10s from 997 owners who want the "more desirable" (salesperson's words not mine) 991.

Trying to be patient here...
Old 09-17-2012, 12:07 AM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it is a California car likely it hasn't seen any salt on the roads except perhaps a Tahoe run or so. Good luck with this one. Don't forget to take it on the track and place it in sport mode and then sport plus. Fun.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:28 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,037 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by david
One more question: does anyone know how many '09 launch vehicles were manufactured?

Also, I spent some time at Sonnen Porsche today and I was advised that the 2013 C4S will be delivered soon and Porsche will also deliver special launch vehicles.

I'm hoping that this will break loose some of the '09s and '10s from 997 owners who want the "more desirable" (salesperson's words not mine) 991.

Trying to be patient here...
Somebody should start a thread on this subject. 991 vs. 997 desirability.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:52 AM
mnmasotto
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The same car is for sale at Hoehn Porsche. I was interested in the car until I sat in the seats. They look great and feel great once you are in them but are a pain in the *** to enter and exit.

Last edited by mnmasotto; 09-17-2012 at 02:13 AM. Reason: Gramer
Old 09-17-2012, 01:26 AM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Daughter driving the 997? please tell us with parent in passenger seat! (insert scared smiley face)
Old 09-17-2012, 09:03 AM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by mnmasotto
The same car is for sale at Hoehn Porsche. I was interested in the car until I sat in the seats. They look great and feel great once you are in them but are a pain in the *** to enter and exit.
Sending PM...

Quick Reply: Intro & Soon to be 997 Owner