Intro & Soon to be 997 Owner

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 09:16 AM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 64 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by yemenmocha
Daughter driving the 997? please tell us with parent in passenger seat! (insert scared smiley face)
Lol...yup, that would be with the old man in the passenger seat!

Both of my daughters have been hauled since birth in my (ummm...our!) 911s, and daughter #2 in particular has been watching how to drive them ever since I can remember. She now tells me she has always wanted to get in the left seat (with engine on!) and I find it very difficult to say no, so I've narrowed my search to a PDK car and she (who nailed HS with a 4.0 GPA) will drive the next P-car.

Strangely, daughter #1 never has expressed a desire to drive the 911 although I suspect that once I fetch her from school (UC Santa Cruz) in a 997, I may let her pilot it up US 1 back up to Marin...at least until Half Moon Bay.

This should be fun...with perhaps just a bit of anxiousness for good measure
Old 09-17-2012, 09:38 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 850 Likes on 578 Posts

I'm sure you can get them down a little. I almost bought a launch but chickened out over the seats. I bought my C2S new (see avatar). It has the sport PASM too. I think you shoud still get a PPI. Maybe try and get CPO (cant remember if that was in your post) - that way you have a longer warranty. GL.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:16 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,273 Likes on 586 Posts

Originally Posted by david
Sending PM...
But... Oh so AWESOME once you are in. If you are going to be driving any real twisties in your area I would seriously consider them. They're not bad getting in... You just kind of grad the steering wheel and gravity feed your self in. Getting out is another issue.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:20 AM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by rodsky
I'm sure you can get them down a little. I almost bought a launch but chickened out over the seats. I bought my C2S new (see avatar). It has the sport PASM too. I think you shoud still get a PPI. Maybe try and get CPO (cant remember if that was in your post) - that way you have a longer warranty. GL.
Yup, CPO is mandatory (as per the spousal unit!)
Old 09-17-2012, 11:23 AM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Zeus993
But... Oh so AWESOME once you are in. If you are going to be driving any real twisties in your area I would seriously consider them. They're not bad getting in... You just kind of grad the steering wheel and gravity feed your self in. Getting out is another issue.
The twisties would be one of the primary reasons I live in this neck of the woods!

I can think of many worse things than not being able to remove myself from the 911!!!
Old 09-17-2012, 12:24 PM
Jasper1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Way back in my college days in CA, one of my all time favorites was Highway 9 from Saratoga to Santa Cruz in my TR6...too bad I couldn't afford a Porsche back then.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:03 PM
LewisB
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well...OP....everything you wrote about driving the car is correct... EXCEPT.....drive the heck out of it in the Sierras!!! Take every single pass. Sonora pass is my fave but all of them are excellent! Drive over, up or down 395 to the next one, and drive back over. There's lotsa fun to be had in those hills in a Porsche!!!!!! Oh, and don't forget Hwy 1 up and down the coast...but it sounds like you have that covered.
Attached Images  
Old 09-17-2012, 02:17 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Use caution on Route 1 these days They just announced today a major construction project from Cambria north for 23 miles that will impose a 30 minute delay throughout the day.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:45 PM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by LewisB
Well...OP....everything you wrote about driving the car is correct... EXCEPT.....drive the heck out of it in the Sierras!!! Take every single pass. Sonora pass is my fave but all of them are excellent! Drive over, up or down 395 to the next one, and drive back over. There's lotsa fun to be had in those hills in a Porsche!!!!!! Oh, and don't forget Hwy 1 up and down the coast...but it sounds like you have that covered.
I hear you with driving the 911 in the Sierra! I've spent loads of time in the Eastern Sierra (I used to live in Mammoth Lakes after college) and I'm looking forward to getting that stupid smile on my face with a 997 underneath me and the gorgeous Sierra all around.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:55 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,037 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by mnmasotto
The same car is for sale at Hoehn Porsche. I was interested in the car until I sat in the seats. They look great and feel great once you are in them but are a pain in the *** to enter and exit.
Again, I can't believe all the negative comments about these seats. I strongly urge anyone who considered them to try it out in person before giving in to some of the testimony here. I agree that in and out is different but as with most everything else that's different, we adapt and this is very easy to adapt to - unless your mobility is compromised in any way. Then I can see how it could become difficult. The good news for the detractors is that my two buckets won't be back on the market anytime soon as I will keep transferring them to my next 911's (unless already installed). Changes the driving experience so much that the adjustment in entering and exiting seems like something that can easily be tolerated.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:45 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Did you say Mammoth Lakes? A great spot for cruising!
Attached Images  

Last edited by Edgy01; 09-19-2012 at 04:44 AM.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:26 AM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 48 Posts

Dan,
I am not generally a fan of cabs but yours and that other one are just stunning. Congrats. Sorry for the hijack. Get out there and show your car some love.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:33 AM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

I love how you went in looking at a Cayenne and came out owning a 911. That's a hell of a swing. I think you made the right choice though.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:58 PM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Di you say Mammoth Lakes? A great spot for cruising!
Lake Mary has never looked so good!!! Dan, if my wife saw your cab she would not let me come home with anything less...what a color!

I'm greatly looking forward to the next time I'm in Santa Barbara!
Old 09-18-2012, 05:01 PM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 997_rich
I love how you went in looking at a Cayenne and came out owning a 911. That's a hell of a swing. I think you made the right choice though.
No so quick...the new 911 is not yet in hand...but I am already having dreams about it AND I drove the 911sc to work today so that will suffice for now

Quick Reply: Intro & Soon to be 997 Owner