Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CPO Warranty - Rattles and Squeaks?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 11:43 PM
trevor9098
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CPO Warranty - Rattles and Squeaks?

I purchased a 997.1TT, and find there are several rattles and squeaks in the cabin. Does the CPO warranty typically cover these issues? Reading the brochure I would guess it goes under "body", and should be covered. Does anyone have any experiences dealing with this? I also have a CPO BMW, and BMW's CPO warranty covered all of this sort of thing with nary a complaint. I'm hoping Porsche is the same!
Old 09-13-2012, 03:21 AM
MagnusB
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Buy some sticky felt pieces and apply to all speaker grilles.
Should take care of the majority of squeaks and rattles.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:15 PM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 997 is one of the squeakiest and rattle prone vehicle I have ever owned.

I presume the hard suspension and tires contribute significantly to that.

My sunroof has such an irritating rattle when it is open, I loathe opening it.

It is going into the dealer for its 20k mile service next week and more importantly, taking care of the rattles.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:45 PM
zanwar
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CPO covers rattles and squeaks. Every 997 I've ever driven has them. Some can be removed, some can't.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:27 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

4 years old and 35k miles. Zero squeeks and zero rattles.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:50 PM
wanderingwheelz
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a pretty noticable squeak somewhere in the rear seat area. My cab is a 997.2 Cab with 1200 miles on it. The squeak is there regarless if the top is up or down, and I've looked hard at any of the moving parts, like the seat back latches. Frustrating! Especially when the nearest dealer is 100 miles away.

My 996 had a squeaky passenger seat that I never addressed since it was out of warranty when I bought it.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:19 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 129 Posts

Turn up the radio more. That solves a lot of the problem. I know that is a smart answer, but if rattles drives you nuts (which they should) you have to mask them. Get away from the quieter classics and move onto the Rolling Stones or Led Zep. But to answer your question, it depends. Some dealers will want to make you happy and attempt to solve those for you. However, most Porsche warranty work is limited to the original warranty period of three years. After that, you are on your own, save those with an extended warranty, and even those are limited to the real meaty issues like engine and tranny stuff--the 'cosmetic and rattle' issues will never be covered by those warranties. This is precisely why it's important to not be obsessed with buying a used Porsche with a hand full of miles on it. Generally those cars have not had a thorough enough shaking out and it will be your discovery and your dime to resolve. Infant mortality on components never happens and even items that were a little loose may never quite shake loose enough to present themselves to you in the warranty period.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:19 PM
beden1
Pro

Mine has 445 miles on it and I have a rattle coming from somewhere near the center console. This is a timely thread because it reminded me to ask if my rattle was similar to others and if there was a known solution. It's driving me nuts. Everytime I think I've found where it's coming from it starts again from wherever.

Along with the Porsche, we have a number of cars including 3 BMWs and an Audi. There are no rattles in any of them (fortunately). My ZO6 that I traded for the Porsche didn't have any rattles either.

What's up with Porsche?

Last edited by beden1; 09-15-2012 at 02:04 AM.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:43 PM
desmoh
Rennlist Member

Oh boy... mine [2011 997.2] developed a mysterious squeak the day I bought it, brand new from the dealer. All was well and a mile before arriving at the house and there it goes. It comes and goes so it's hard to pinpoint where it's coming from. This is my second Porsche and my previous 996 had many rattles and squeaks. It's a tightly/ hard suspended car, so going on bumps and such forces the plastics to move and rub. Ignore them and focus on the driving. It's a great machine.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:50 PM
trevor9098
Advanced

Well. I dropped the car off this morning with my laundry list! Here's hoping it comes back tomorrow a bit happier, and a bit less noisy.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:30 AM
beden1
Pro

I remember cars I had 20 years ago were prone to squeaks and rattles. I also remember dealers never seemed to be able to "duplicate" the sound or they could not pinpoint the source.

I guess I can't blame them because the noises are hard to find and it takes time to do so.

Old 09-14-2012, 12:34 AM
beden1
Pro

Originally Posted by desmoh
Oh boy... mine [2011 997.2] developed a mysterious squeak the day I bought it, brand new from the dealer. All was well and a mile before arriving at the house and there it goes. It comes and goes so it's hard to pinpoint where it's coming from. This is my second Porsche and my previous 996 had many rattles and squeaks. It's a tightly/ hard suspended car, so going on bumps and such forces the plastics to move and rub. Ignore them and focus on the driving. It's a great machine.
Yes, but the car is a very expensive (to me anyway) and I would expect that Porsche would assemble the parts so they have padding between the pieces or whatever to keep them from making noises. (especially since they really don't change them all that much over the years)

My ZO6 had very stiff suspension and I was always amazed by how it was without squeaks and rattles when hitting bumps or bad stretches of road.

Old 09-14-2012, 12:42 AM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by beden1
I remember cars I had 20 years ago were prone to squeaks and rattles. I also remember dealers never seemed to be able to "duplicate" the sound or they could not pinpoint the source.

I guess I can't blame them because the noises are hard to find and it takes time to do so.
I'm embarrassed to mention this b/c it is so obvious but make a recording of the issue w/ your smartphone or camera. I did this once when the techs couldn't duplicate the noise and once they heard it they knew exactly what it was (I think a tensioner that needed a little gummiflex). At any rate, at least if you have it recorded they won't think your imagining things.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:52 AM
beden1
Pro

Originally Posted by desmoh
Originally Posted by Tcc1999
I'm embarrassed to mention this b/c it is so obvious but make a recording of the issue w/ your smartphone or camera. I did this once when the techs couldn't duplicate the noise and once they heard it they knew exactly what it was (I think a tensioner that needed a little gummiflex). At any rate, at least if you have it recorded they won't think your imagining things.
That's a great suggestion. Thanks.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:47 AM
Spokane5150
Banned

Drove a Corvette a few times and it by far had more rattles than any other car I've ever driven.

Originally Posted by beden1
Yes, but the car is a very expensive (to me anyway) and I would expect that Porsche would assemble the parts so they have padding between the pieces or whatever to keep them from making noises. (especially since they really don't change them all that much over the years)

My ZO6 had very stiff suspension and I was always amazed by how it was without squeaks and rattles when hitting bumps or bad stretches of road.

Quick Reply: CPO Warranty - Rattles and Squeaks?