Sponsored by:

Please verify the Total 911 article

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 06:28 AM
Henrik964
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Please verify the Total 911 article

In the latest issue of total 911 there was an article about Autofarm and their IMS fix and engine upgrade. In it it says they have never heard of a IMS failure with the updated IMS (june 2006)? If so I would be very interested in a 2007 997 4S. Now is this right or is it that the updated is IMS get fewer failures....

Last edited by Henrik964; 09-01-2012 at 06:51 AM.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:20 AM
cibergypsy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car has a Feb, 2006 build date and it has the newest version of the IMS in it, so the date in which they started putting the stronger IMS was at some point in late 2005.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:43 AM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Search here on IMS or talk to LN Engineering. Fewer failures but failures nonetheless.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:10 AM
Palmbeacher
Banned

The 2006-08 uses a larger-diameter bearing with a larger spindle. Porsche took the cheapest possible route: overbuild the part. There's no arguing it works. But it is still a sealed bearing in an oil environment, and as such, still subject to the same potential for accelerated wear as the earlier bearing. Enlarging the diameter of the bearing also introduces a new factor: each ball now travels farther with each rotation, meaning increased friction and wear if and when the grease becomes contaminated with abrasive particulates. The upshot is that the late bearing can probably be counted upon to last longer in moderate and low-rpm use, but less so as average rpms increase. Given that the former is probably the majority with these cars, it would account for the lack of anecdotal reports of IMS failure in '06-'08 cars and of re-failures in older cars that have had their engines replaced with later remanufactures. But in a car that is tracked, the disadvantage of the larger diameter would tend to come into play.
Old 09-01-2012, 01:18 PM
Henrik964
Rennlist Member

Thanks Palmbeacher, good input. This is what I have guessed myself. I have read most of the threads here around the IMS. However, much is related with I have a friend who had a friend and You know disaster. Knowing Autofarm is a company REALLY knowing what they are talking about this thing puzzles me. Specially thinking of what to buy, for me 997 GenII is a bit expensive using it as a daily in sweden with snow, mud and bad wheather and kids kicking their way out of the car... Best option is probably an early car with a fix installed or wait for genII to come down when the 991 takes over...
cibergypsy, where do You see the build date? Also what engine number are You on?

Thank You guys a lot!!!
Old 09-01-2012, 01:31 PM
P0rsch3F113
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by cibergypsy
My car has a Feb, 2006 build date and it has the newest version of the IMS in it, so the date in which they started putting the stronger IMS was at some point in late 2005.
+1 same here, 02/06 build date...I have the same info that the revised IMS bearing began in the late 05 MY06 builds.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:10 PM
cibergypsy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Henrik964
Thanks Palmbeacher, good input. This is what I have guessed myself. I have read most of the threads here around the IMS. However, much is related with I have a friend who had a friend and You know disaster. Knowing Autofarm is a company REALLY knowing what they are talking about this thing puzzles me. Specially thinking of what to buy, for me 997 GenII is a bit expensive using it as a daily in sweden with snow, mud and bad wheather and kids kicking their way out of the car... Best option is probably an early car with a fix installed or wait for genII to come down when the 991 takes over...
cibergypsy, where do You see the build date? Also what engine number are You on?

Thank You guys a lot!!!
My car is a US car so I don't know if the same applies to an european car; my build date is on a sticker with a bar code on the driver door right next to the factory name. The sticker can be seen when the door is open below where it locks. I'll get back to you on the engine number later.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:31 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Henrik964

Thank You guys a lot!!!
Why this puzzles you? It is CORRECT. No failure has been reported/seen on the upgraded IMS cars, and that's all proof you need to have. Buy a car with build date of 2006-2008 and you're good to go!

997.2 engines do not have that problem, but then they got carbon build-up, which may or may not cause issues in the long-run, not enough milage/years on those cars to see for sure, but there has been many issues with direct injections on Audis and VW engines (that have been around a lot longer, and many more miles than typical 911).
Old 09-01-2012, 08:59 PM
ecostellodo
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...tion-date.html

Just in case you haven't read it yet.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:17 AM
Henrik964
Rennlist Member

AlexB76 this is My plan what puzzles me is that it is still romours around.. Was not clearing on that.

Last edited by Henrik964; 09-02-2012 at 04:26 AM.

Quick Reply: Please verify the Total 911 article