Sponsored by:

Which 997 would you choose?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 08:18 PM
Jaan
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by eflight
The 2009(non-S) will be very close in power to the 2006 S, so thats not really a factor. Base 2009 has more HP than a base 2006 and almost as much as a 2006 S

I would think it would really come down to wanting a MT versus PDK.

Think about why you are buying the car and what you want to use it for.

For me I found the automatic in my BMW left me feeling like I was just along for the ride and I really wanted the MT to get more involved in the drive. So the 911 had to have the MT
It's not about the power but how the vehicle uses it. Power usability is different between the S's and non-S versions. Also, there are lots of variables that makes the S what it is, hence the badge.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:22 PM
Jaan
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SMR
So, I have a chance to buy one of two different 997s owned by colleagues/friends at a true wholesale/auction price. Both vehicles have been well maintained and not tracked or even driven hard.

Choice One - 2006, S Cab, manual trans, very few options (thus no navi, no Bose, no XM, etc.), only 17,000 miles, All new tires.

Choice Two - 2009 Cab 4 (Not S), PDK transmission, 30,000 miles, well optioned, but no navi.

I can buy Choice One for approximately $48,000. No warranty left, so would probably buy an extended warranty.

I can buy Choice Two for approximately $56,000. Would have benefit of factory warranty through March of 2013. Would certainly prefer a manual transmission, but the PDK would be nice in traffic. Would lose the "S" engine and suspension of the '06, but would get the benefit of the direct injection engine and 4 wheel drive. Plus, it has the more updated touchscreen radio, bluetooth, etc.

Both vehicles have color combinations that I like - silver/black/black or grey/black/black.

So - does either vehicle scream out "buy me" over the other? What factors should I take into account in making this decision? For those of you who have a 997.2, what are your thoughts of the changes over the 997.1. And, finally, what real benefit is there in the 4 wheel drive for a car that will never see the snow.

Thanks much for any advice.
Nobody really can help you on this. You will have to test-drive both vehicles with certain observations and feel to draw a conclusion to what's better suited for you. It isn't inappropriate to do a 30 minute test-drive (that's "some" money that will be exchanging hands once a deal emerges). This will be your best yard-stick.

Quick Reply: Which 997 would you choose?