Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which 997 would you choose?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 11:31 AM
OGWGFIW
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm sitting on an 03 and dreaming of an 09, waiting for prices to come down. If I had that opportunity from a known source I would sell my car tomorrow. It is an incredible deal. No way would I go from one car with an IMS to another. I have done all the LN upgrades already, but I want a DFI engine. I also want PDK, but outlooks and opinion vary.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:51 AM
SMR
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sy308
For me, $55K is NOT wholesale for the 06. Wholesale is probably closer to $48K-$50K. Your pricing is more like trade in value with profit for the seller, thus probably a soft retail price. Good luck.
The '06 price to me is $48 to $49k, which appears to be wholesale/trade in value.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:55 AM
SMR
Advanced

Originally Posted by PHX 911
PDK is an amazing transmission. If the car your considering does not have Sport Chrono, figure a couple grand to add this option. It's essential to enjoy the PDK.
Forgive my ignorance, what does the Sport Chrono add to the PDK experience?
Old 08-29-2012, 01:25 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

With the additional information re the '09 I would have to say that the '09 C4 Cab is more attractive as a financial investment... on paper it's a non-emotional comparison of a newer car at a trade in price vs. older car at closer to "retail" type prices.

But I've been down this slippery slope before with my prior '98 M3. A personal friend gave me such a great deal on his M3 that I overlooked the one thing I've always lived/drove by(MT) and went with an auto(1st and last time in my life) for my personal car. My mind set at the time was wrapped around the financial aspect of the deal vs. what I really wanted at the time - a MT M3. What I did not consider was the fact that I would be stuck with the same car for the next 10 years... kids, raising kids, cost of raising kids, saving for their college, buying them cars, insurance for two young teenage boys, etc... plus I believe in paying cash for cars so it takes that much longer to replace an existing car with raising a young family. Along the way I would continuously mod the M3 with ever possible performance mod known to mankind including the final and most expensive mod - a super charger. Surly forced induction would satisfy what I felt was missing in the car... it just did not feel right, sports car right, for me. In fact, after all the mods it still was not right because at it's heart it was an auto and with the SC it made for a great cruiser but not a sports car IMHO. At the end of my 10 yr journey I came to the realization that there was a cost to my personal driving enjoyment due to these types of financial compromises and that I would not go down that "other" path so easily next time. BTW, my wife loves autos and wanted me to replace the old M3 with a new M3 with DCT... she fought me on getting the MT 997 and to this day will not drive my 997. I'm in marital bless! Regardless of outside factors I knew this was a personal purchase and one I would not replace for years to come. I'm so much happier back in an MT car now.

Sorry for the lengthy post but in some way I see that you might be an MT enthusiast and as good as PDK is and it's very good... IMHO, it's a slope you want to be very careful about. Drive both cars extensively and give some weight to the emotional choice that engages you with a rich driving experience vs. the one which satisfies a financial statement years down the line. In the end either choice will imply a cost financially or emotionally... If I were in your shoes I would try to negotiate the '06 as close as possible to $45K to make it a really good financial deal and still satisfy the MT enthusiast within my soul. Good luck and it's wonderful that you have such great choices to struggle over.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:09 PM
P0rsch3F113
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

+1 ...well said USMC_DS1!
Old 08-29-2012, 03:28 PM
SMR
Advanced

USMC-DS1 - I hate to admit it, but you are probably right on target. I love to drive, and there is no question, that on the right stretch of road, there is nothing that comes close to the feeling of running up and down the gears in a car with a third pedal. And, I am being influenced by the "deal" and "value" of the '09 vs. why I am buying a sports car in the first place. Having said that, I intend to do an extended test drive of the PDK equipped car and get a better sense of the fun to drive factor.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:37 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

cabs are heavy - so both are equal in that regard

C4 will be heavier still (advantage C2, unless you have snow, etc.)

MT > PDK (IMO advantage C2)

S > non-S (advantage C2)

.1S > .2 non-S exhaust notes (advantage C2)

.1S$$$ > .2non-S$$$ (advantage C2)

997.1 non DFI vs 997.2 DFI = your choice (mine is non DFI)

lower mileage > higher mileage (advantage C2)
Old 08-29-2012, 03:51 PM
Poshaman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a mt lover as well but 09 cab 4 with warrenty at $56k seems like a such a sweet deal. I'd get 09 and drive for a few months to see if I like PDK. If not, trade it in for an S. Doesn't look like you're going to lose money that way.
Old 08-29-2012, 04:28 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 850 Likes on 578 Posts

PDK vs. manual - is blonde vs brunette. I have both. You decide what you like. Some people say MT > PDK. Thats in their opinion. I prefer PDK (for me and my use of the car).

I wouldnt buy an IMS car. Thats why I bought an 09.
Old 08-29-2012, 04:29 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 850 Likes on 578 Posts

Originally Posted by SMR
Gives you the option to pick normal, sport and sport plus modes. PDK without SC is terrible. You're basically always in Lexus mode. You dont need SC with manual.
Old 08-29-2012, 04:50 PM
SMR
Advanced

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy
cabs are heavy - so both are equal in that regard

C4 will be heavier still (advantage C2, unless you have snow, etc.)

MT > PDK (IMO advantage C2)

S > non-S (advantage C2)

.1S > .2 non-S exhaust notes (advantage C2)

.1S$$$ > .2non-S$$$ (advantage C2)

997.1 non DFI vs 997.2 DFI = your choice (mine is non DFI)

lower mileage > higher mileage (advantage C2)
Don't plan on driving in the snow, so no real need for C4
I follow all your points (and tend to agree with them) except for DFI. Why do you prefer non - DFI?

Last edited by SMR; 08-29-2012 at 06:19 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-29-2012, 04:54 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

If MT is a must-have, then you got no choice... if not, then 2009 looks like a better deal, specially since it's got warranty!

Now, the one thing you gotto check on the 2006, check the build date, if 2005 build date, 100% skip and get 2009.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:26 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 978 Likes on 638 Posts

'09 will have no potential IMS issues and the mileage on the '06 is low enough that it could be a concern. The higher the mileage, the better off you are in that regard.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:28 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 978 Likes on 638 Posts

why is an '05 build date an absolute skip? any issues related to the '05 also pertain to the '06, afaik. please explain?

Originally Posted by alexb76
If MT is a must-have, then you got no choice... if not, then 2009 looks like a better deal, specially since it's got warranty!

Now, the one thing you gotto check on the 2006, check the build date, if 2005 build date, 100% skip and get 2009.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:59 PM
PHX 911
Official Rennlist Snake Slayer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SMR
I think rodsky answered your question in basic terms, in that you have 3 modes you can select from, normal, which is default when you start the car, sport, which along with having the PDK shift at higher rpm's, hold a gear longer depending on throttle position, but also remaps the throttle position to a more aggressive setting IIRC. I.E. 3/4 throttle in sport is like floored in normal. Sport Plus mode the PDK shifts at redline, and you also get launch control, which is an absolute hoot. From a stop, press the sport plus button, put your left foot on the brake, floor it with your right foot, and the car will go to redline and hold. Take your left foot off the brake, and you'll launch like you've never before.
If the car does not have this from the factory, the buttons and remapping can be done by your dealer.

Quick Reply: Which 997 would you choose?