Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hood Re-spray

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 10:21 PM
CORSASCHNELL
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Little higher than I expected. Dr. Colorchip works OK for darker color, so it might work well with your jet black C2S.
Old 09-01-2012, 05:33 PM
Dmitri
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tried the Dr. Color Chip approach and, I have to say, the results are pretty decent. Hopefully, these before and after pictures will show well. (The couple specs on the bottom photo are dust, not chips.) https://rennlist.com/forums/graemlins/rockon.gif

Attachment 660601

Attachment 660602

Last edited by Dmitri; 09-10-2013 at 11:21 PM.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:31 PM
Dmitri
Instructor

I should add, that while the Dr. Color Chip worked well on rock dings that showed white underneath, it could do nothing for all of the nicks on the front bumper that are not through the paint. Looks like a bunch of tiny cuts there.

After getting everything touched up, I think putting a clear bra on the hood and fenders will look fine. I'm on the fence about what to do to the bumper. Do I: 1) put a clear bra on it as is (after getting everything cleaned and polished as much as possible); or 2) re-spray the bumper and have all the nicks sanded out?

And, here's a third option: I have a line on a used OEM bumper that can be painted to match my car for less than it would cost to redo the existing bumper. Crazy, I know.

As always, your thoughts/ comments are appreciated.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:58 PM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 352 Likes on 183 Posts

I would get another quote or two. Those prices that you were given are completely outrageous. Due to some damage I had the entire front bumper replaced with a brand new one and repainted and then replaced the clear bra. The total cost was around $2200. And the cost of the bumper itself was around $1200. Painting the hood should not be very expensive at all. It requires the least amount of masking of any part.

Also, I would not want blending on my fenders. A good paint shop can match the paint and guarantee a match. And black is supposed to be the easiest to match I think. I had my seal grey done and I specifically requested no blending and they guaranteed it would match and would not blend. It is perfect. I am across the country so I can't help with my shop, but you can surely find a much better price.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:17 AM
CORSASCHNELL
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another option is a wrap, matte black or carbon fiber wrap is not uncommon. It is removable if you change your mind down the line and much cheaper than a re-spray.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:22 AM
Dmitri
Instructor

Option 3 - the replacement bumper (Porsche, remanudfactured), painted black and delivered to my door, is about $600. I can't imagine it would take much more than a couple of hours labor to remove and replace existing bumper and transfer all of its parts (gills, etc.) to the new one.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:42 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,030 Likes on 731 Posts

Originally Posted by Dmitri
So, I went to Sterling to see what they'd want to re-spray the front and the cost for an invisible bra.

Paint - no less than $4k
Invisible bra - $3.5k

Pass. Let's see how the Dr. Color Chip works out. Having it done tomorrow.
$4K to paint the hood has to be a misprint or a joke. I dropped a garden tool in the garage on the hood of my black -06. Total cost to fix the dent and respray: $615. Perfect match and not even mentioned when I traded the car. Please get more quotes.
Old 09-11-2012, 03:03 AM
Dmitri
Instructor

$4k-plus was the quote from Sterling, which several folks recommended. Perhaps if I have an insurance repair where money is no object, I'll check them out. In the meantime, a more reasonable quote from a P-certified collision center was about $1,800 for hood, bumper and fenders.

But, as mentioned, the hood and fenders are looking pretty good w/Dr. Color Chip touch-up. Once the XPel is on there, I doubt you'd even be able to see anything. So, I'm leaning toward not re-spraying the hood/fenders. The Only question is what to do on the bumper. The XPel will more or less hide the small nicks unless you get up close to it. So, that's an option. The other two options are to re-spray the existing bumper or replace it for close to the same cost.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:08 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,030 Likes on 731 Posts

$4k-plus was the quote from Sterling, which several folks recommended. Perhaps if I have an insurance repair where money is no object, I'll check them out. In the meantime, a more reasonable quote from a P-certified collision center was about $1,800 for hood, bumper and fenders.

But, as mentioned, the hood and fenders are looking pretty good w/Dr. Color Chip touch-up. Once the XPel is on there, I doubt you'd even be able to see anything. So, I'm leaning toward not re-spraying the hood/fenders. The Only question is what to do on the bumper. The XPel will more or less hide the small nicks unless you get up close to it. So, that's an option. The other two options are to re-spray the existing bumper or replace it for close to the same cost.
Especially for a black car, even a second tier paint shop should be able to restore both the bumper and the hood without touching the front fenders. You don't want factory paint molested for no good reason. My current car was rear ended a while back so I went through the same drill as you're describing now. One of the shops - highly reputable - went down the same path. "We have to blend both rear fenders to make it look good". The shop ultimately doing the job spent their time matching the paint just right instead of blending all over the place and you'd never know the car was hit.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:19 AM
gillie
Instructor

Calling Earl Scheib. I know I'm dating myself but I remember when he advertised he would paint any car
for $19. That's nineteen. Of course that was in the late fifties. And that was the whole car. I'm sure it wasn't a Sterling job but 4K is way over the top.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:11 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

if you plan on respraying, take some photos and document everything. This will help when it comes time to sell.

Also respray w/ the hood off the car. Blending of the fenders is prob not needed.

I view the bumpers on our cars as comsumables.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:41 PM
CAA
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts

Option 3 - the replacement bumper (Porsche, remanudfactured), painted black and delivered to my door, is about $600. I can't imagine it would take much more than a couple of hours labor to remove and replace existing bumper and transfer all of its parts (gills, etc.) to the new one.
I'm curious about this option - who provides this service. I have the usual nicks and chips and this seems like a very reasonable solution for when it gets to the point where I want to correct it. Thanks.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:01 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 56 Posts

Yes i do think bumpers are consumables including the hood and windshield as these unavoidably get hit when one uses the car, which we all should

Quick Reply: Hood Re-spray