Sponsored by:

997.1 Performance Modifications - Fact of Fiction

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 08:03 PM
maxrod
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997.1 Performance Modifications - Fact of Fiction

I will first admit that I am no expert in Porsches, as I was born with BMW's since my first 3.0CS and then raced 2002 Tii in SCCA.

In reading many of the posts, many if not most have stated that Porsche has really squeezed out most of the performance when the send the cars across the pond and therefore anything that can be gained is minimal from the HP perspective from the various options.

Now, usually the first thing that I do to a car is the suspension. I either lower with performance springs, thicker bars or both. Usually both. That was the first thing I did with my 996 C4 using the M030 and I loved it. Wife hated it, but then again, I said "that is why you drive a MB". :-)

I always felt the stock power of the 996 was good enough to beat a Mustang GT in a Light to Light sprint. Enough said.

Now with the new toy, I am doing the same thing, except that I opted for the Bils BS14's. Ordered them from Carnewal and waiting. Next I need to decide on a set of bars.

From an engine perspective, It is always been a known fact that if you let more air in and more air out, in essence you will produce more HP. This will require Headers (everyone seems to recommend the x51 variants), and might as well replace the entire exhaust with less restrictive CATS. The Air Box, I have never believed much in the claims of K&N, but the X51 Airbox looks like the recipe. The last thing is of course with more air in and out, is a new SW MAP. Several choices here: AWE, Shark, MAxSpeed, etc.

As we do not have the luxury of long High Speed runs, our joy is limited to 1) Sound 2) Torque.

How would you guys suggest to increase the fun factor of increased Torque?

What I used to do with Bimmers, is Diff Change and Boy does that throw you back in the seat. A change from 3:45 to 3:90 was a WOW!!! and cost was minimal.

I would appreciate your comments and recommendations on SW Mapping.

Not planning to track it as I don't have time and have tracked from many years BIMS and rear engine cars.

BTW, mine is an 07 997 C2.

Cheers
Old 08-27-2012, 10:30 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Well, your research is right, there's not much you can do to 997 engine... the only items that have produced some gains are 200 cal CATS and chip. X51 parts do work, but it needs a new program as well as some engine modification to get the full gains.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:15 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

You'll soon find out that modifying your car will be very expensive. Doing what you want mentioned above is probably $15-20k. You want 50hp? Buy an 2009 C2S....it may be cheaper. You want even more power? Buy the GTS, then the GT3, then the GT3RS.........

The cost to add 100hp is about $35k. Just say'n sometimes it's cheaper to just buy a new car but you might not have as much fun.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:45 PM
maxrod
Intermediate

Thanks you.. oh yes..HP is $$$$.. I remember my racing days no matter what car and of course reliability does along with it.. So that is why I was thinking of a differential change with a different final drive. Does anyone know if that is available? I am familiar with the Quaife and for less than $2000, there can be a great improvement in the fun factor.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:22 AM
aaks38
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

I grew up owning cars that you could modify and the 911 is the last car you buy with modifications in mind especially when it comes to power increases. The aftermarket support is minimal and whatever is available is expensive considering what little gains are to be made.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:29 AM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As others said, you're better off just buying the faster model. This is one of the reasons I like 911's because I hate the whole damn modding fad. Similar exists with BMW M models that already have most of the available performance in the car already (again, cheaper & more reasonable to just buy a different car than spend big bucks for small gains).
Old 08-28-2012, 02:34 AM
ScorpionT
Instructor

If you want more serious grunt, get a supercharger kit. Otherwise, headers, cats, airbox, and ECU tune will be the primary steps. A diff does give you some increase torque multiplication, but it also essentially shortens the gears which requires shifting earlier.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:20 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

For performance mods I went with a full FVD exhaust system - 70mm vs. the stock 63mm exhaust system. Includes the exhaust manifold with long race pipes, 200 cell cats, muffler, and tips. Been running this setup for a few months now without any issues(CEL codes) so I just pulled the trigger on the ECU remap. As others have mentioned it gets expensive very quickly. I wanted a reputable systems so I went with FVD. They OEM their exhaust systems from MM GmbH in Germany... MM builds exhaust systems for Porsche Motorsport. FVD also seems to have access to Porsche ECU source code and can affect the ECU code change without changing the number of code reprogram count from the factory. Most ECU reprogrammers will increase the ECU program count. It's important to not change this number if the car is still under warranty/CPO. Add the IPD Plenum and you're looking at close to $10K retail for parts alone to get an additional 20-25hp. If you're a good wrench hand then you can save the additional $3-4K in labor cost to have all these mods installed by a p-dealer mech.

Is it worth it? For me half the fun of sports car ownership is modifying it to my own needs/wants, learning about the car by doing the mods myself, and maintaining it myself. The car from the factory provides for a starting point and I take it as a personal challenge to improve the car towards my own liking.

BTW, one of the most cost effective mods is the SSK... it's amazing how this makes the car feel that much faster off the line and precisely the shifts feel. I like the B&M kit for ~$250 but Porsche offers one as well for ~$500 which many here prefer. Also a good idea to add the 3rd radiator especially if you're in a hot climate.

Let us know if you go down the path of Quaife... have always wondered about how that would work.

Last edited by USMC_DS1; 08-28-2012 at 11:00 AM.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:45 AM
Spokane5150
Banned

That WEVO semi solid motor mount upgrade is my next mod. I didn't realize how much that motor floats around with the stock mounts. For less than $500 you can really improve handling and shifting performance.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...my-engine.html

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
For performance mods I went with a full FVD exhaust system - 70mm vs. the stock 63mm exhaust system. Includes the exhaust manifold with long race pipes, 200 cell cats, muffler, and tips. Been running this setup for a few months now without any issues(CEL codes) so I just pulled the trigger on the ECU remap. As others have mentioned it gets expensive very quickly. I wanted a reputable systems so I went with FVD. They OEM their exhaust systems from MM GmbH in Germany... MM builds exhaust systems for Porsche Motorsport. FVD also seems to have access to Porsche ECU source code and can affect the ECU code change without changing the number of code reprogram count from the factory. Most ECU reprogrammers will increase the ECU program count. It's important to not change this number if the car is still under warranty/CPO. Add the IPD Plenum and you're looking at close to $10K retail for parts alone to get an additional 20-25hp. If you're a good wrench hand then you can save the additional $3-4K in labor cost to have all these mods installed by a p-dealer mech.

Is it worth it? For me half the fun of sports car ownership is modifying it to my own needs/wants, learning about the car by doing the mods myself, and maintaining it myself. The car from the factory provides for a starting point and I take it as a personal challenge to improve the car towards my own liking.

BTW, one of the most cost effective mods is the SSK... it's amazing how this makes the car feel that much fast off the line and precisely the shifts feel. I like the B&M kit for ~$250 but Porsche offers one as well for ~$500 which many here prefer. Also a good idea to add the 3rd radiator especially if you're in a hot climate.

Let us know if you go down the path of Quaife... have always wondered about how that would work.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:37 AM
piiqmark
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spokane5150
That WEVO semi solid motor mount upgrade is my next mod. I didn't realize how much that motor floats around with the stock mounts. For less than $500 you can really improve handling and shifting performance.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...my-engine.html
+10000000 on the mount suggestion

I have a wevo semi solid tranny mount and torque solutions semi solid motor mounts - Shifting = awesome rear end feel = awesome.

Maybe its just my car but i had the tranny mount installed first - not too long after the stock mounts failed. Now and then I do drive it hard so that probably made the motor mounts fail sooner but I am sure glad they did. very happy with my set up. Suspension is next. I have a K&N CAI and Custom Exhaust - it sounds faster and makes you think its got more power but if it does - its minimal - surely not 23 HP (K&N Claim).
Old 08-28-2012, 12:26 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Been considering semi-solid mounts as one of my future mods. Have been curious as to how it affects DD. Glad to hear that it's working out well for others.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:34 PM
Suns_PSD
Instructor

The most cost effective thing you could do is speak to flat6innovations.

These motors have known problem areas that can be addressed before catastrophic failure occurs.

They can also get you a lot more hp for the $ than other mods that I've seen.

The SC kit will certainly put more power down for the cash. But it won't be a capable track day car and you run a fair risk of turning your engine in to a boat anchor.

Good Luck!
Old 08-28-2012, 02:42 PM
piiqmark
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
Been considering semi-solid mounts as one of my future mods. Have been curious as to how it affects DD. Glad to hear that it's working out well for others.
much more driveline noise - I dont drive daily but i do drive most of the weekend (in NYC i should add - so you are either moving or youre not) and it doesnt bother me. 997 might have better sound deadening material though. If so, Maybe a slight decrease in noise? You will feel a much more positive transfer of power.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:59 AM
maxrod
Intermediate

Brilliant answers from everyone. Thank you. I was traveling and thus my delay. I now have to print this and categorize it. :-) I agree with USMC-DS1 that the fun is being able to personalize your ride. How do I hide the expenses from the Mistress? Actually she is pretty cool about all of it, but does not understand this "childish behavior of boys and their toys and engine music". So here is the order of things from what I see I should do:

Chassis:
1) change to Coilovers - ordered the Bils BS14 non adjustables (not tracking the car)
2) change the bars - need suggestions and where to find them at the best price.
3) Front Strut Bar
4) Engine/trans mounts
5) Optional SSK

Before heading to the whole exhaust, plenum, etc., I am still looking for a Diff with a different Ring/pinion perhaps go from the stock which I believe is 3.45 to a 3.6 or even 3.9. Investigating and will report back.

If this does not work, maybe I will take a week off be home in Florida and put the car on jacks and work on my back to replace and execute the other mods.

Suggestions on Bars? or should I leave them stuck.

Thanks
Old 08-29-2012, 11:38 AM
kdurg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you want to increase low end torque with the 997 and not break the bank with forced induction or compromise the engine internals, LOSE WEIGHT.

Get the lightest set of rims available. Upgrade to a Single Mass Lightweight Flywheel. ( this was the biggest improvement i've noticed in my car ) an ECU Tune and Exhaust will help in the mid and upper ranges but not down low where you need it most.

.........and post some pics of your car !!

Quick Reply: 997.1 Performance Modifications - Fact of Fiction