do I already have ssk?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 03:17 PM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 48 Posts
Default do I already have ssk?

Looks like I may. There are marks already on the cables. Does this look like an oe ssk. How can you tell?
Attached Images  
Old 08-20-2012, 05:18 PM
mattyf
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Little Green
Looks like I may. There are marks already on the cables. Does this look like an oe ssk. How can you tell?
Don't know... but the marks only mean that someone adjusted the shifter cables and put a zero reference before starting.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:45 PM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

I out in the b&m shifter and it works great other than on 1,3 and 5 there is definitely a metallic stop for lack of a better term. When you putt in one of those gears it definitely hasna metallic stop. Does that sound right?
Old 08-20-2012, 08:02 PM
BevHillsPorsche
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

YES

That's the factory Short Shifter

The tell tale is the large Blue plastic pivot block. You'll notice that that center pivot point is of a different design than the regular shifter which kind of reminds me of an old Atari joystick.

I just installed the factory part in my car and while I like the length of the throw, I don't like the feel as it still feels a little rubbery for me. I was trying to replicate the rifle bolt feel of a 997 GT3 shifter which is mainly due to the internal shift mechanism inside the GT3's transaxle.

I've been toying with the idea of replacing the main bushings with steel ones but I think the links below the shifter base where the cables connect might be the first area to mess with to get the feel i'm after.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:10 PM
BevHillsPorsche
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also a few notes about installation (I've swapped the shifter out 3 different times already)

There's a very handy installation tool used to center the shifter for installation. It eliminates the guess work when reattaching the cables.

Whenever you remove or install the shifter you must make sure that the cars in neutral. Once in neutral you can remove the cables. When you install the new shifter you mount a small green colored plastic piece on the rod itself and it clips into the top of the shifter base locking the shift rod in the neutral position. Once the shifters bolted to the center tunnel just reattach the cables and remove the green alignment tool and your done.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:12 PM
Rocco07
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The tool you mention works ONLY with Porsche equipment is what I've read in other posts on the same subject.
I too did not like the feel of the B&M kit. It did shorten the throw but it wasn't as smooth as the stock unit. I ended up returning to stock.
Also, I've seen aftermarket machined metal parts that connect the cable ends to the shifter *****. That may help more with the "rifle bolt" feel.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:44 PM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well you take out the bushings so no way to reinstall the oem piece. I thought the throw was about the same. Well too late now and I like the B&M kit better. Feels "clickier" maybe that's a stupid word but that's how it feels and easier to slide into first. There is the issue of the odd (1,3,5) gears kind of hitting metal on metal at the top of the shift. It's loud enough that my wife mentioned it. Is this normal?
Old 08-20-2012, 11:45 PM
Poshaman
Instructor

I've heard a lot of good things about oem ssk and I ordered a kit just now through Suncoast. I am going to intall it myself and am hoping it won't be too difficult.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:37 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I highly recommend the OEM sport shifter. I ordered it with the car when I discovered how many on the 997 Forum were raving about it. It makes the 6-speed a more precise tool, removing so much of the long throws that mark the older cars. After my 06 sport shifter, when I climb into any other Porsche (older 911, 928, 356) the throws seem to be massive.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:33 AM
Poshaman
Instructor

Originally Posted by Edgy01
I highly recommend the OEM sport shifter. I ordered it with the car when I discovered how many on the 997 Forum were raving about it. It makes the 6-speed a more precise tool, removing so much of the long throws that mark the older cars. After my 06 sport shifter, when I climb into any other Porsche (older 911, 928, 356) the throws seem to be massive.
I can't wait !!!
Old 08-21-2012, 10:59 AM
Rocco07
Racer

Well you take out the bushings so no way to reinstall the oem piece. I thought the throw was about the same. Well too late now and I like the B&M kit better. Feels "clickier" maybe that's a stupid word but that's how it feels and easier to slide into first. There is the issue of the odd (1,3,5) gears kind of hitting metal on metal at the top of the shift. It's loud enough that my wife mentioned it. Is this normal?
Mine was noisy as well and popped from 2nd to 3rd and from 4th to 5th. The straight forward & back shifts were fine. It was the lateral moves that weren't smooth.

Maybe you can get just the bushings that were cut out if you wanted to return to stock. I got lucky with mine. When the CPO required replacement of the B&M SSK, they gave it to me to when I purchased the car.

Does the porsche SSK come with only the shift lever or is it the entire shift assemby that's held down with 4 nuts ? (black plastic cradle)
Old 08-21-2012, 11:12 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocco07
Mine was noisy as well and popped from 2nd to 3rd and from 4th to 5th. The straight forward & back shifts were fine. It was the lateral moves that weren't smooth.

Maybe you can get just the bushings that were cut out if you wanted to return to stock. I got lucky with mine. When the CPO required replacement of the B&M SSK, they gave it to me to when I purchased the car.

Does the porsche SSK come with only the shift lever or is it the entire shift assemby that's held down with 4 nuts ? (black plastic cradle)
Rocco07,

Yes, the Porsche SSK comes mounted in the black tower (base). I installed one in my car 6 month ago.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:33 AM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

I definately like the B & M better it's just the click at the stop that is weird. I will either get used to it or will have to adjust it a bit.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:24 PM
Rocco07
Racer

Originally Posted by gota911
Rocco07,

Yes, the Porsche SSK comes mounted in the black tower (base). I installed one in my car 6 month ago.
With the B&M unit about $240, the Porsche a shade over $400, (but it comes with the base), you have the option of easily returning to stock. Plus, you don't have to assemble anything. Just bolt it in.
Does it come with the alignment tool?

If I go the SSK route, again, the Porsche unit will be the solution.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:15 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

I definately like the B & M better it's just the click at the stop that is weird. I will either get used to it or will have to adjust it a bit.
Like better than OEM or OEM SSK? It's defnitely better than OEM and comparable to OEM SSK.

Quick Reply: do I already have ssk?