Sponsored by:

996tt vs 997 interior -- pics inside

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 11:04 AM
nuclearfishin
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default 996tt vs 997 interior -- pics inside

Ok, so I'm new to p-cars but have been doing a lot of reading and have come across the same dilemma many others have mentioned here. do I get a 996tt or a 997.1cs? One thing that keeps coming up is the difference in interior. Sure, the newer car will have an updated interior, but i don't see a huge difference between the two. The tt doesn't seem all that different than the cs. What are some of the main gripes between the interiors (please be specific)? Below are a few pics for reference.

996tt interior

997.1cs interior

Old 08-19-2012, 11:24 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,431 Likes on 827 Posts

997 interior materials are generally higher quality (that is non-leather to non-leather and leather vs. leather)
design is 100% better in my mind.

aside from that, there isn't a huge difference, aside from slightly better ergonomics.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:53 AM
sixtosune
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As Quadcammer said, there is a marked jump in both quality and ergonomics from the 996 to the 997 in terms of interior.

That said, IMHO, a decision between a 996TT and a 997.1S shouldn't be made based solely on their interiors, but on the different cars that they are, as a whole. A Porsche 911 Turbo has always been in a different league than a 911 or 911S in terms os performance, and even when compared to a newer 997.1S, the 996TT is still the higher performing machine out of the 2.

A decision between the 2 may also depend on what You plan to do with the car (long-term keeper, weekend fun ride, daily driver etc).

Last edited by sixtosune; 08-19-2012 at 07:52 PM.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:32 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,279 Likes on 591 Posts

The 996 TT is the bargain P-car these days. Some of them are well optioned with nice leather interiors that, interestingly enough, the new 991 has taken design cues from. I.e. compare the door handles. And yes - it's a mammoth performer. They look much better with the suspension lowered, but short of that they are a great car. Many still available with lower miles. And don't forget the bullet-proff engine in TT with its GT1 heritage.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:52 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

997.1 is better but I think the 997.2 took it up a notch with the PCM and other features. I like the black face of the PCM and other controls of the 997.2.

Originally Posted by nuclearfishin
Ok, so I'm new to p-cars but have been doing a lot of reading and have come across the same dilemma many others have mentioned here. do I get a 996tt or a 997.1cs? One thing that keeps coming up is the difference in interior. Sure, the newer car will have an updated interior, but i don't see a huge difference between the two. The tt doesn't seem all that different than the cs. What are some of the main gripes between the interiors (please be specific)? Below are a few pics for reference.

996tt interior

997.1cs interior

Old 08-19-2012, 01:31 PM
smokestack20
Instructor

You'd have to access someone who has owned or knows both cars well to nit pick the difference and quality of interiors. (hopefully a few listers)

I own a 997 C2S and I enjoy everything about it. That said, the interior wasn't what sealed the deal for me. The pics you provided of the Turbo show a clean, nice looking interior. I liked it!

I agree with sixtosune... and would add, you must consider your maintenance budget (Turbo likely to cost more) and make sure you do your homework on buying the best "quality" car you can find.

Good Luck, Ken
Old 08-19-2012, 01:32 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 62 Posts

Cosmetically i feel the 997 is head aand shoulders above the 996. The 996 tt might be a better performer than a 997 na, even a 3.8 (S), but you have to be able to live with the looks. Another thing to consider is maintenance costs - you can still get a 997 cpo'd, whereas it will be tough to get that with a 996 tt, and the maint costs with the turbo and awd could be formidable. I'd vote 997 C2S.
Old 08-19-2012, 02:10 PM
hakaida702
Racer

Originally Posted by Selo
Cosmetically i feel the 997 is head aand shoulders above the 996. The 996 tt might be a better performer than a 997 na, even a 3.8 (S), but you have to be able to live with the looks. Another thing to consider is maintenance costs - you can still get a 997 cpo'd, whereas it will be tough to get that with a 996 tt, and the maint costs with the turbo and awd could be formidable. I'd vote 997 C2S.
Yeah looks are a big factor when considering the 996 vs the 997. I have a friend that wants to buy a 911, but refuses to buy the 996 because of the headlights. Her budget isn't quite 997 level yet so shes looking at caymans.
Old 08-19-2012, 03:10 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 380 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by sixtosune

That said, IMHO, a decision between a 996TT and a 997.1S shouldn't be made based solely on their interiors, but on the different cars that they are, as a whole. A Porsche 911 Turbo as always been in a different league than a 911 or 911S in terms os performance, and even when compared to a newer 997.1S, the 996TT is still the higher performing machine out of the 2.
If by performance you mean
brutal acceleration then yes, but if you mean lightweight & nimble then I think the opposite could be said.

Depends on what you're looking for from the car. I don't like turbo cars but like the rear wheel drive nimbleness of my c2s.
Old 08-19-2012, 04:03 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 222 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
If by performance you mean
brutal acceleration then yes, but if you mean lightweight & nimble then I think the opposite could be said.

Depends on what you're looking for from the car. I don't like turbo cars but like the rear wheel drive nimbleness of my c2s.
Interestingly enough the 997 Turbo is essentially a RWD car in its default power distribution mode. Power is only transferred to the front wheels when there is a loss of traction. My understanding is that up to 100% of the power can be distributed to either the front or rear wheels depending upon traction. I've had the pleasure of driving a 997.2 Turbo S with PDK. In the old days it took a considerable amount of talent to launch a 500 HP car and get a decent time. With PDK's launch option, anyone can achieve an outstanding launch every time.

Regarding your nimble point, yes the AWD option adds over 300 lbs. Nevertheless, the Tubo S is one hell of a car. Anyone who owns one can be secure in the knowledge that they are driving one of the fastest accelerating cars in the world.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:01 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 134 Posts

For anyone who is a long time 911 driver the 997 interior is much closer to the older designs of the 911, 964 and 993 than the 996. The 996 marked a significant departure from the traditional 911 interior. But, it appears that you are completely new to the "911" experience so those things should not be a factor for you. Since you are comparing a 996TT and a 997S.1 it would appear that you are budget driven. Is that your only factor, or is there anything else that comes into play?

If budget is really your prime issue then you need to factor in the significantly higher repair costs of the 996TT. The AWD system with turbo comes at a price. Every time you want to do something to that engine figure that it will take twice as long as the 997. Much more has to be removed and then replaced to access things like spark plugs. The classic 911 buying recommendation is to always buy the newest that you can afford. BUT, also factor in maintenance expenses down the road if you want to go about this intelligently. Interiors are just that--interiors. The entire package has to be considered.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:10 PM
nuclearfishin
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for the responses so far guys. Let's try and keep it on topic, I'm aware of the repair costs, differences in performance, etc. In this thread I was hoping to get real information on what people seem to dislike about the 996tt interior. Saying "the 997 is a better quality interior" doesn't help. Do you not like the leather? Comfort of seats? Layout? Loose parts? ergonomics? Air vents? For those that have driven both I'd really like to hear your opinions. As for budget, yes I am factoring in repair costs, but I also set a limit on what I'll spend on a car, so I'm trying to get as many opinions as I can before I decide. Thanks again for the responses!
Old 08-20-2012, 03:47 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,058 Likes on 742 Posts

Thanks for the responses so far guys. Let's try and keep it on topic, I'm aware of the repair costs, differences in performance, etc. In this thread I was hoping to get real information on what people seem to dislike about the 996tt interior. Saying "the 997 is a better quality interior" doesn't help. Do you not like the leather? Comfort of seats? Layout? Loose parts? ergonomics? Air vents? For those that have driven both I'd really like to hear your opinions. As for budget, yes I am factoring in repair costs, but I also set a limit on what I'll spend on a car, so I'm trying to get as many opinions as I can before I decide. Thanks again for the responses!
To me....and I've driven both, the 996 interior feels dated compared to the 997. Very dated. Night and day. Don't like the exterior of the 996 either including the turbo. Not just the headlights but the body lost much of the curves of previous models. Since both the interior and the exterior was fixed with the 997 (and ruined again with the 991) the choice you face would't be much of a choice for me.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:50 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,431 Likes on 827 Posts

dude, this is a personal preference thing.

find a 996 and a 997, and sit in them. Thats the only way you'll know for yourself.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:12 AM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 47 Posts

I owned an 01 996 and a few 997"s including my current 997 turbo with full leather interior. IMO, the materials, ergonomics, comfort and esthetics are far superior in the 997. The sport seats are a must if you enjoy spirited driving regardless of which gen you buy. As Quadcammer said, drive both then decide. BTW, the turbo isn't a maintenance issue as someone suggested other than plugs at 30k.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: 996tt vs 997 interior -- pics inside