Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sooooo....if I lower my 997........

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 03:27 PM
PTParks
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sooooo....if I lower my 997........

....using a set of sport lowering springs (manufacturer yet to be determined) are there any other suspension pieces and parts that should be upgraded? Any recommendations or will the stock suspension on my 2009 Carrera S accomidate the dirrerent springs without any other issues arising?
Old 08-08-2012, 03:32 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

do not use H&R springs, Eibach makes a good kit, use it. It lowers car just a bit so it does not need to have any suspension parts altered. if you want to rebuild entire suspnsion it is totally different topic.
Old 08-08-2012, 03:52 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the issue with the H&R?

Originally Posted by utkinpol
do not use H&R springs, Eibach makes a good kit, use it. It lowers car just a bit so it does not need to have any suspension parts altered. if you want to rebuild entire suspnsion it is totally different topic.
Old 08-08-2012, 04:04 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

H&R lowers the most...Eibach lowers just a little. Also GMG has some springs for your car. GMG I'm almost certain uses Eibach to make their custom spec springs. You can see pics on the GMG website,
Old 08-08-2012, 04:07 PM
LewisB
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

A scraping great idea........
Old 08-08-2012, 05:57 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

This isn't an original point, but it's still true. Springs and shocks and other suspension parts are engineered and chosen carefully to work together. Keep in mind that there is no free lunch; if shock performance isn't matched properly to the springs, there will be trade offs in ride quality and suspension performance, sometimes big ones. Steering geometry and feel as well as suspension alignment and tire wear can be affected by lowering the car.

I've been there and done that. At the least, you should consider matching springs and shocks, and budget for a new alignment as well as corner balancing.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:08 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 470 Likes on 269 Posts

Why?............................................

Tom
Old 08-08-2012, 06:28 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Corner balancing only if you have Coil Overs / Adjustable Height. You don't need corner balancing for spring only replacement. Coil over will provide the best performance for the track because of the matched spring/shock valving and corner balancing but you might not like the ride.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:47 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Can't corner balance a stock PASM system....shocks are NOT height adjustable like they are on the GT3 cars.

Bilstein B16 Damptronics does allow for the cars PASM system to still work, gives your the same 2 shock damping choices but also alows for ride height adjustment..ie corner balancing.

Unless you are seriously track driving or have money burning a hole in your pocket (please send me some to help fund my track activities) no don't need aftermarket suspension.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:29 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Can't corner balance a stock PASM system....shocks are NOT height adjustable like they are on the GT3 cars.

Bilstein B16 Damptronics does allow for the cars PASM system to still work, gives your the same 2 shock damping choices but also alows for ride height adjustment..ie corner balancing.

Unless you are seriously track driving or have money burning a hole in your pocket (please send me some to help fund my track activities) no don't need aftermarket suspension.
Agree. My point was that lowering springs alone can result in unwanted consequences. If one is serious about lowering the car a total package should be considered, which would include springs, height adjustable shocks, adjustments to alignment.....and corner balancing. Better still for the street would be driving the car with the factory suspension that was designed for it. At the very least, anyone thinking about lowering their car should be aware that it's not as simple as it sounds, if you want good results.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 08-08-2012 at 08:54 PM. Reason: sp
Old 08-08-2012, 09:23 PM
Matt(inMA)
Not in MA anymore
Rennlist Member

Received 248 Likes on 127 Posts

I installed, more accurately had Eibach springs installed (see pic) and have not had (over thousands of miles) any change in ride characteristics in any way. Look, the ROW cars have the same suspension with lower ride heights - accomplished via different springs.

Matt

Old 08-09-2012, 03:39 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,021 Likes on 726 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
Not sure what the problem is. I put 40,000 miles on my -06 with H&R's and had zero issues. Going on 15,000 miles on the -09, also with H&R's and no complaints. Greatly improves the stance of the car (imo) and with a 1.25" drop I think you can sense that the center of gravity has shifted lower. My favorite mod next to exhaust.

Quick Reply: Sooooo....if I lower my 997........