Sponsored by:

Long weekend camping trip!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 01:52 AM
Renzsport
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long weekend camping trip!

Took off over the long weekend into the mountains where the 911 is happiest!
My gf and her friends towed her boler and I came later for out camping at Mt Robson. Counted 5-6 speed traps on the way out!
On the way back, we went to the Miette hot springs just East of jasper (actually the cold pool was more useful as it was hot and sunny all weekend!) This was the best part as there's ~15km narrow 2-lane road leading up to the hot springs and very little traffic Myself and my friend in his 2.0T A4 had an excellent run up and down this road. All the girls opted to have a ride in mine, sport mode was on but some of the screams managed to cover up the pse ha ha!

On the way back to Edmonton, another 4-5 speed traps. No tickets for me though and Heidi got a hella good workout!

What a good trip, sorry for no pics. I wanted to get some but was always busy with other stuff.

Rob
Old 08-21-2012, 04:17 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Porsches are truly great for camping. Many years ago a good friend of mine had a beautiful Gulf Blue 930 Turbo which he used for camping trips. He would rough it one night in a tent in the middle of nowhere and then take to a proper hotel the next. Alternating, he could stay in some pretty nice places and wind up without a significant AMEXCO bill at the end of the trip!

Next time, photos of Canada or someone may suggest that you be BANNED FOR LIFE!
Old 08-21-2012, 06:54 AM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Had my Boxster S camping in the mountains of western VA a few weeks ago; picked the twistiest windiest roads I could find on the map and laid out a sort of road rally. Unfortunately, did *too* good of a job as one of the roads went from lined to unlined to one lane to one lane gravel to one lane dirt and after about 12 miles, just when I was about to hit the next intersection, freaking stream in the middle of the road to ford! That's OK, road was just as fun to drive the 2nd time Amazing how practical these cars can be while still being so damned fast; had no problems packing everything we needed for two of us for 4 days of camping, plus helmets and sprayer and tools and everything else we road-tripped to the 2-day autocross.

Name:  POgO6l.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  55.6 KB
Old 08-21-2012, 09:58 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,273 Likes on 586 Posts
Default Packin' for protection?

Nice write up guys! I too have been considering this. I like the idea of alternating the rough with the nice lodging. Say Renzsport - how did you count so many speed traps and not get busted? I got nailed on the Bow River Road a few years back and had to go to court! In the end it cost me a couple of thousand. Crazy! So what are you packin' for protection?
Old 08-22-2012, 10:01 PM
Renzsport
Instructor

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Next time, photos of Canada or someone may suggest that you be BANNED FOR LIFE!
ha ha Will Do!
Old 08-22-2012, 10:05 PM
Renzsport
Instructor

Originally Posted by sjfehr
Had my Boxster S camping in the mountains of western VA a few weeks ago; picked the twistiest windiest roads I could find on the map and laid out a sort of road rally. Unfortunately, did *too* good of a job as one of the roads went from lined to unlined to one lane to one lane gravel to one lane dirt and after about 12 miles, just when I was about to hit the next intersection, freaking stream in the middle of the road to ford! That's OK, road was just as fun to drive the 2nd time Amazing how practical these cars can be while still being so damned fast; had no problems packing everything we needed for two of us for 4 days of camping, plus helmets and sprayer and tools and everything else we road-tripped to the 2-day autocross.

Actually this is almost exactly what our campsite looked like, just photoshop a white 911 for silver boxster and you're good to go

One of the big bonuses to taking a porsche camping is driving to the campsite is a blast. RVs on the other hand...
Old 08-22-2012, 10:12 PM
Renzsport
Instructor

Originally Posted by Zeus993
Nice write up guys! I too have been considering this. I like the idea of alternating the rough with the nice lodging. Say Renzsport - how did you count so many speed traps and not get busted? I got nailed on the Bow River Road a few years back and had to go to court! In the end it cost me a couple of thousand. Crazy! So what are you packin' for protection?
I would say a combination of being very attentive, lots of other speeders on the road, and luck! Oh and lots of times they were hitting traffic coming the other way.
I've driven the yellowhead from Edmonton to Jasper/ BC so many times and I do pretty good at keeping track of where the police like to congregate. Having said that, there were a lot more than I ever remember seeing.
But yeah, I'm busy scanning the horizon the whole time and get ready to punch the breaks when coming up on hidden roads etc.
No radar detector yet, I'm planning on getting a V1. My dad has one and it's great. Less impressed with the passport (which my brother has)
That sucks about your ticket, but at least here in the civilized province of Alberta you got to keep your car
Old 08-23-2012, 12:19 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,273 Likes on 586 Posts

Yes! It was very polite and Canadian of them... I'm going to be packin' a detector soon enough...
Old 08-23-2012, 11:10 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Renzsport
One of the big bonuses to taking a porsche camping is driving to the campsite is a blast. RVs on the other hand...
Screw RVing, the roads themselves are the real destination when you're driving a Porsche, camping is just icing on the cake! It does come with hazards, though. Namely, it's impossible to hold back when you find an awesome road. I started off treating it like a road rally but couldn't help it and ended up treating it more like a hill climb. I avoided massive tickets through sheer luck and sheer luck alone.

Also, bugs. My god, the layer of bugs was sickening... the mud & dirt from the unexpected (but fun!) high speed rally stages didn't help, either.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:42 PM
Renzsport
Instructor

ha ha yeah. the 911 seems to collect bugs better than any other vehicle I've owned!
Exactly, you can't actually camp with an RV, unless you bring a tent (what's the word... pointless?) But a tent fits just fine in a porsche

Quick Reply: Long weekend camping trip!