Help installing an OEM 997 Short Shift (SSK) please

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 04:23 AM
Gibbo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Help installing an OEM 997 Short Shift (SSK) please

Hi there

Got a Porsche short shifter for my car, got all the console out and am at the phase of removing the old shifter.

But don't want to proceed any further as am a little unsure of what to do with the cables or what the best method is so I don't mess up my cars ability to get into gear.

Here is a photo of where I am at now:-

Is there an easy way from removing the cables so it prevents need for adjustment when installing into the new shifter? Or any tips in general please?
Old 07-27-2012, 08:14 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

You should have received a light green shifter alignment (centering) tool with the Porsche SSK. That will hold the shifter in the proper location and then all you do is reconnect the cable ends back into the "threads." You can see the "threads" in your picture at the lower part of the blue connector cable.

If you didn't get that alignment tool, check out this link. The PDF is near the bottom of the page.

B&M Shifter Install PDF

Go to steps 16 and 17. After you release the spring retainer clips but BEFORE you remove the cable ends mark the location of the "threads on the cable end and the "threads" on the cable receptacle. Than way you can get the cable ends back in the same position as they are now.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-27-2012, 08:19 AM
Spokane5150
Banned

That project looks like a nightmare. I'll stick with the stock set-up.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:35 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

No, it is not a nightmare. It is VERY easy to do. The B&M instructions are very detailed, so it looks like it is more difficult than it really is. Getting much shorter shift "throws" (front to back) is well worth the small amount to time invested. On a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being very difficult, this is a 3.

I did this swap on my '04 C2 and now on my '10 C2S. Total time is about 1.5 hours, and most of that time is spent removing/replacing the rear center console. If you get the Porsche SSk, then the shifter is already mounted in the black base (Porsche calls it the "tower"). It takes about 15 to 20 minutes to do the actual shifter swap.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:42 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 474 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by Spokane5150
That project looks like a nightmare. I'll stick with the stock set-up.
I had it done a few months ago and it changed the entire driving experience for me! You should get in one and try it sometime and I think you'd be happy but who knows?

All the best,

Tom
Old 07-27-2012, 07:27 PM
scotsskier
Advanced

Originally Posted by TommyV44
I had it done a few months ago and it changed the entire driving experience for me! You should get in one and try it sometime and I think you'd be happy but who knows?

All the best,

Tom
Tom, plus others who have put in the ssk. What is the effect on getting to 6th? That is the only one thati really notice as being waaay out there. May of course be partly due to my muscle memory still not being fully attuned to using my right hand to shift rather than my left.... ...
Old 07-29-2012, 05:17 PM
Gibbo
Racer

Hi there

Did it all couple of days ago, much easier than expected, hardest bit is getting the console off, very fiddly.

Think if I was gonna do it again, it would only take 30-45mins.

I also went with the 997.2 GT3 shifter as its gotta metal bushings, feels no shorter in throw but a lot moe precise and mechanical compared to the stock unit, very happy with it.
Old 07-29-2012, 07:05 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 474 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by scotsskier
Tom, plus others who have put in the ssk. What is the effect on getting to 6th? That is the only one thati really notice as being waaay out there. May of course be partly due to my muscle memory still not being fully attuned to using my right hand to shift rather than my left.... ...
It's hard to remeber back when I didn't have it but it seems the throws are shorter and more secure/precise.

I have no trouble getting it into any gear, cold or warm. It just seems easier to me. I have the OEM unit installed by an excellent Porsche tech so I'm sure that can make a difference too.

Good Luck!

Tom
Old 07-29-2012, 07:19 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

You may want to get the alignment tool to get it back to center once u remove the shift cables n install the new shifter. We just did the B&M SSK today... similar install but not 100% like the Porsche SSK.

Last edited by USMC_DS1; 07-29-2012 at 08:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Help installing an OEM 997 Short Shift (SSK) please