Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Switching interior to Alcantara?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 02:56 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

I got Alcantara seats, steering, shifter, hand brake, and I LOVE IT! Not only it looks good, its rare and makes your car more unique.

A few pointers:
- Do the steering wheel if yours is worn, I LOVE the grip
- Gear shift/hand brake totally changes the look of the car, worth it!
- Lid would complete the look, although the one with Porsche logo just looks that much better!
- Lower dash kit... I haven't got it, but I think on the big parts, that's the only one I'd do
- SKIP center console, if yours is plain black instead maybe paint it exterior color?
- SKIP door trim/handle, the leather looks better IMO and you can't really see it

So, overall, if you wanna do in stages, do Steering/shifter/hand brake first, then do the lid, then the lower dash.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:16 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,267 Likes on 585 Posts
Default Alcantara vs full leather carbon pacakge? Guards Red vs Meteor Grey?

Well this is a timely thread as Porsche Canada has dropped their lease rates and added in 3 years of maintenance. So I'm looking at two neary identical new C4 GTS cabs, one in Guards Red over Black Alcantara, sport seats, and the other in Meteor Grey over full Black leather regular seats with full Carbon Package. The Guards Red I've personally seen and it's stunning but the alcantara just isn't doing it for me. It seems dull and would wear poorly. I'm already thinking of swapping the steering wheel, shifter and brake for leather. And the red? I like it but would I get tired of it and the overt attention it gets. Anyone own or owned a red car?
The Meteor Grey I've only seen pics of it and it looks great. It's a day's drive away. More the car I'm drawn to but what's everyone's take on this?
Does the guards red out weight the alcantara that I can swap out? Heck, maybe the original poster and I can swap!
I can post some pics if anyone is interested.

Last edited by Zeus993; 07-19-2012 at 04:33 AM.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:03 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 270 Posts

I have full leather and I love it!

I have never understood the whole Alacantra thing....holds no appeal to me. I always thought Porsche must have marketing geniuses if they could make that appealing.

Like saying instead of those beautiful Italian loafers for $500 for another $200 over that we'll give you a pair of Uggs and they get people to say I'll take the Uggs.

But if you like it............LIFE IS SHORT!!

Tom
Old 07-19-2012, 05:08 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus993
Well this is a timely thread as Porsche Canada has dropped their lease rates and added in 3 years of maintenance. So I'm looking at two neary identical new C4 GTS cabs, one in Guards Red over Black Alcantara, sport seats, and the other in Meteor Grey over full Black leather regular seats with full Carbon Package. The Guards Red I've personally seen and it's stunning but the alcantara just isn't doing it for me. It seems dull and would wear poorly. I'm already thinking of swapping the steering wheel, shifter and brake for leather. And the red? I like it but would I get tired of it and the overt attention it gets. Anyone own or owned a red car?
The Meteor Grey I've only seen pics of it and it looks great. It's a day's drive away. More the car I'm drawn to but what's everyone's take on this?
Does the guards red out weight the alcantara that I can swap out? Heck, maybe the original poster and I can swap!
I'm the wrong guy to ask about color but I love guards red! That being said the Alacantra would be the deal breaker for me. Meteor is nice too though and full leather is very nice!

Good Luck with your decision!!

Tom
Old 07-19-2012, 01:03 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Buy what you like, I like Alcantara and it does wear fine for me, if you don't like it, don't get it. However, many like Alcantara and you *might* be able to swap it out with someone, however, you'd be swaping out your brand new parts for some uses ones... if I paid $$$ for brand new car, I don't want it to have old parts.

In terms of Guards Red vs. Meteor. You've seen my car, right? Meteor is subtle, more luxury/high end looking, while Guards Red is more sport... which look you're going for? Cops will definitely target Red cars more!
Old 07-19-2012, 01:26 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alexb76
Buy what you like, I like Alcantara and it does wear fine for me, if you don't like it, don't get it. However, many like Alcantara and you *might* be able to swap it out with someone, however, you'd be swaping out your brand new parts for some uses ones... if I paid $$$ for brand new car, I don't want it to have old parts.

In terms of Guards Red vs. Meteor. You've seen my car, right? Meteor is subtle, more luxury/high end looking, while Guards Red is more sport... which look you're going for? Cops will definitely target Red cars more!
Thanks. Yes - your's is really nice. Am I wrong? I thought you had a 997.2 from Pfaff?
Old 07-19-2012, 02:21 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Thanks. Yes - your's is really nice. Am I wrong? I thought you had a 997.2 from Pfaff?
No, 997.1 with Dectane tails which makes it kinda look like 997.2! I did the Bob's breakfast a few times. You can come checkout my Alcantara which has 30K on it, and 5yrs old.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:58 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alexb76
No, 997.1 with Dectane tails which makes it kinda look like 997.2! I did the Bob's breakfast a few times. You can come checkout my Alcantara which has 30K on it, and 5yrs old.
This Saturday...
Old 07-19-2012, 03:43 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

i love alcantara - bu not that much!
Old 07-19-2012, 04:26 PM
Gert
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

I think we offer a good deal on the Alcantara shifter and handbrake, not the alu one though.
http://carnewal-europe.com/cpx_p97116.htm
Old 08-10-2012, 03:04 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,631 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by Domer911
That's dangerous stuff. It's addictive. I did this little by little, that way I don't have to know how much I've spent. Fun hobby, though. Good luck!
Where did you get the black instrument surround.

My car came with a white one that I am thinking of selling along with my white center console (Clear bra'd), either get a black one or alcantara one so the 5 points don't scratch it.

My signature has interior pictures.
Old 08-10-2012, 06:08 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by Vjgtrybno1
It is beautiful stuff - but it will absorb oils from your skin and the appearance can change over time.
driving nude???
Old 08-10-2012, 09:56 PM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I've tracked Carreras with stock leather seats and you slid all over the place. By the end of the day you are worn out from the amount of energy you exert trying to stay planted. Also have tracked Carreras with Racing seats + 5 point harnesses and what a difference. Your body is glued to the seat and zero energy is wasted, however, wife did not like riding in a racing seat that did not recline. The advantage that I see from Alcantara is the ability to eliminate sliding during a track event but still maintain a non-racing seat for everyday driving. Kinda of the middle ground between the two.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:21 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Where did you get the black instrument surround.

My car came with a white one that I am thinking of selling along with my white center console (Clear bra'd), either get a black one or alcantara one so the 5 points don't scratch it.

My signature has interior pictures.
i will pm you-

Quick Reply: Switching interior to Alcantara?