Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on replacing two cars with one 997?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 06:21 AM
ethranet
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Para82
For what it's worth my initial impression of the 997 first test drive was not good. I drove a silver 997S on a highway with a salesman, straight lines, for 7 minutes.

Then I did a second test drive at a different dealership with a sexier color (seal grey) and on backroads. I was hooked after 2 turns and understood the fuss.
The more I think about it, the more I'm sure I need another test drive. After thinking it over more I realize I overlooked some things about it because they were so good and are also good on the car I'm used to. For example, when making sharp turns or sudden lane changes, it responded exactly the way I expected it too, albeit with a different steering feel. That's actually a really big deal and something I overlooked earlier because it did precisely what was expected. Definitely need a longer/better test drive.

Last edited by ethranet; 07-29-2012 at 06:22 AM. Reason: Grammar, should have previewed more than once.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:25 AM
darthhowie
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i had a BMW 330ci, traded it for a Boxster, then a Cayman S, now i have a 997.1 C2S. The Bimmer was more comfortable with it's plusher suspension, quieter, and had more use-able back seats. But the 997.1 handles and accelerates far better, is much less common, and in my opinion will age much more gracefully. As far as noise, the 997.1 is whisper quiet compared to the mid-engine Cayman, but noisier than the Bimmer. But the engine sound is so much sweeter... Just my 2 cents..
Old 07-29-2012, 09:29 AM
Suns_PSD
Instructor

Can't you purchase a hard top for the Miata that will dramatically help w/ noise levels?

Also, I've insulated 2 cars by stripping the interiors and covering them w/ some sound barrier. There is even a spray on one now. This method has provided a lot of improvemernt for me.

Good Luck!
Old 07-29-2012, 03:54 PM
gonz911
Pro

Although you've stated you need some seat time, I'm not sure how you even came to some of the conclusions you have given your test drive was "albeit very short", and supervised. I seriously doubt any owner selling their car or salesman with one on the lot would allow you to drive it like your Miata.

You're also comparing a modded car, "albeit" a Miata to a seemingly stock Carrera. However, a standard Carrera (non-S) has a greater output at the wheels based on your numbers, although I will grant you the power:weight ratio is lower in your car.

Your car also has coil overs and will have a different spring rate and/or damper controls, whereas the Porsche's stock suspension doesn't, even with PASM it's limited. That's going to have different handling characteristics and feel of the road. Put some comparable suspension items on the car then draw comparisons. I have.

You referenced a few times now your Miata is boosted, but given the numbers you posted it's not "all that", especially in comparison to the Carrera (S or non S). There are several board members here and other places who boosted their 997. For under $10K, running low boost (6 psi) yields 520 HP / 450 TQ.

All this notwithstanding, if you don't like the Porsche given what limited amount of time you've experienced, that's fine too.

Last edited by gonz911; 07-29-2012 at 04:50 PM.
Old 07-29-2012, 04:44 PM
ethranet
5th Gear

Originally Posted by gonz911

Although you've stated you need some seat time, I'm not sure how you even came to some of the conclusions you have given your test drive was "albeit very short", and supervised. I seriously doubt any owner selling their car or salesman with one on the lot would allow you to drive it like your Miata.

You're also comparing a modded car, "albeit" a Miata to a seemingly stock Carrera. However, a standard Carrera (non-S) has a greater output at the wheels based on your numbers, although I will grant you the power:weight ratio is lower in your car.

Your car also has coil overs and will have a different spring rate and/or damper controls, whereas the Porsche's stock suspension doesn't, even with PASM it's limited. That's going to have different handling characteristics and feel of the road. Put some comparable suspension items on the car then draw comparisons. I have.

You referenced a few times now your Miata is boosted, but given the numbers you posted it's not "all that", especially in comparison to the Carrera (S or non S). There are several board members here and other places who boosted their 997. For under $10K, running low boost (6 psi) yields 520 HP / 450 TQ.

All this notwithstanding, if you don't like the Porsche given what limited amount of time you've experienced, that's fine too.

Looks like I elicited the roll eyes response. That's understandable, even to me this comparison is somewhat ridiculous.

I definitely need more seat time, thats for sure! Don't get me wrong, as I said in my follow up post, the Carrera is excellent. The only real complaint was a completely ephemeral one about a missing "fun" factor, which is nearly impossible to quantify, and undoubtedly due in part to unfamiliarity with the car. Thinking back I realize I had the same feeling after the upgrades were installed on the Mazda. The limits were much higher, body roll/squat was significantly reduced, it was much faster, and I was worried that it was no longer "fun". Faster and better for sure, but more serious. After a couple days getting used to it though, I would never go back.

The power levels in my car are certainly not all that, and I did not mean to give the impression that I consider them to be so. The power to weight ratio is not better than any Porsche I have compared it to except a base level Cayman or Boxster. The reason I keep mentioning it is so people, especially those who may not read the whole thread, are clear that it's not the stock power level, which is atrociously low.

You mention suspension modifications to your car, and from looking at one of your other threads it looks like you're running H&R coilovers. Did you post a review of those anywhere?
Old 07-29-2012, 05:08 PM
gonz911
Pro

I deleted the "roll eyes", sorry about that.

I think that if you're into modding cars which certainly appears to be the case, there are things you can do to improve the car (Carrera) to your liking - this is always the case.

The one thing about Porsche mods is they're a lot more expensive than other marquees - I'd wager likely more than most. For example, I ran KWv2 coil overs on my M3 - I loved them. They were slightly over $2k, but on the Pcar add easily another $1K. Don't know why. I updated the all the lights on the car (interior, exterior, under the boot, engine bay) - the front LEDs and rear LEDs with an aftermarket brand and they were really expensive, but if I wanted them I had to pay the price. I did the same with the M3 and even updated with OEM LEDs and still considerably less. On the other hand, the FMIC supercharger (ASA blower) I ran was about the same as the TPC Racing turbo ($10K). Go figure.

As for the H&R coilovers, they're good for street and I've tracked it a few times, but they're not as adjustable as the KW setup. I did notice an improvement with handling and feel, and of course I was able to lower it to my satisfaction. I'd like to go a little lower but the nose on the Carrera is long and easy to scrape.

Gratuitous pic of the M3 - I miss the boost - hopefully not too long.

Good luck on your decision.

Last edited by gonz911; 07-29-2012 at 06:10 PM.
Old 07-29-2012, 05:42 PM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

I've owned a 2005 Mazdaspeed Turbo Miata and a 1993 TT RX-7, both bought new back in the day. I've also owned many BMWs including an M3, but you know it's those two Mazdas that I have the most fond memories of.

Would I trade my Carrera S back in for any one my former cars? Absolutely not.

But I do agree that it's hard to beat a Miata when it comes to driving fun. Its lightweight handling character is what the Miata is all about and it's about as much fun driving to the local hardware store as it is on a track. Having said that, the 911 is almost as much fun to drive around town, but in different ways. I sold my Mazdaspeed Miata to make way for my 911 and have never looked back. The Miata was my weekend toy and so is my 911. However, I find that my 911 often sees equal duty as my daily driver and it never fails to make me smile in any condition.

OTOH, trading the BMW is a no brainer. Only the M3 comes close, but I've never given a second thought about going back to the M3. In a sense, I've gone from very similar cars to your Miata and BMW to the Porsche 911 with zero regrets.
Old 07-29-2012, 06:05 PM
mattyf
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

The fun factor for the 997 is definitely there, but you're right you will need more than just straight line dealer test drives to find it.

Here's what I enjoy and things to look for in no particular order:

1) The road feedback through the starting wheel. At first it can be unnerving, but once you get used to it you realize this is how driving should be. You will drive other cars and miss it.

2) Because you have a light front end the steering is very quick for a 3000lb+ car. Sometime try pushing a shopping cart with a 24pk of beer over the front wheels, then move the beer to over the back wheels. It's a night and day difference in how the cart handles. Obviously the difference is not as pronounced for a 911, but it is definitely there. This can also create a sort of motor boat skimming sensation when you're going really fast or hit a large bump in a turn, can be frightening at first, but later it turns to exhilaration.

3) It's not much to brag about in straight lines, but the car really shines in the twisties. You can feel the weight shift as the *** tries to slide out in a fast turn, the 1ft wide tires flex and it shimmies a bit, you think the back may break lose, but the tires just grip. It is a magical feeling, once you find it you're hooked. This is the 911 trademark.

4) The car is absolutely gorgeous. The build quality is fantastic. Fit and finish are top notch. You will find yourself in the garage late at night just staring at it.

Hope that helps,

Matty

Quick Reply: Advice on replacing two cars with one 997?