Sponsored by:

DIY Preventative Maintenance: 997.1S Water Pump Replacement - Part 1

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 11:45 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by ALEV8
just finishing up on this same set of service items. 06 C4, 103k mi. Ordered all parts from suncoast or sonnen even ecs. Have not hit spark plugs yet but should I think.
I have the WP swap planned for this summer as a preemptive maintenance item as well. GL with the R&R. pics.
Old 04-14-2016, 11:50 PM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

Well it looks like you are in TX too? DFW here...... Just waiting on parts for the final button up. Wish I had ordered the spark plugs or coils and plugs. Add to your list the reader vac lines hardened and splitting attached to aluminum lines behind airbox. I'm going with Carbon Fabspeed air intake so..... Apparently those vacuum lines come from Germany so it's like three weeks. Another deal would be an SSK or replace the Delrin bushings (which I can make at the CNC shop) which I'll have extras of. Those solid engine mounts sure are sexy too.....
Old 05-26-2017, 10:03 AM
Misshe11
Track Day

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

This is a really well done writeup! My 06 just started to have some dripping last night from around the water pump so I guess I will replace it or get it replaced... My only questions are:

1. Does it really matter to get an OEM water pump? It seems like the Porsche ones fail quite early, seems like a different brand would probably be better?

2. Should you just replace the thermostat/housing while in there also? Do those actually fail around the same time as a WP? I would think they last much longer?

Thanks much!
Old 05-27-2017, 02:25 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Misshe11
This is a really well done writeup! My 06 just started to have some dripping last night from around the water pump so I guess I will replace it or get it replaced... My only questions are:

1. Does it really matter to get an OEM water pump? It seems like the Porsche ones fail quite early, seems like a different brand would probably be better?

2. Should you just replace the thermostat/housing while in there also? Do those actually fail around the same time as a WP? I would think they last much longer?

Thanks much!
Originally Posted by Misshe11

Thanks much!
1. FWIW, my '08 C2S has 78k+ miles and the WP has been R&R 3 times... twice pre-emptively and all with OEM WP. During the engine rebuild and performance classes I've taken in recent years ... the consensus amongst the indy shop owners and enthusiast is to use the OEM WP. Avoid especially the 3rd party metal impeller WP as these have the potential of lathing/boring out the WP cavity thus ruining the engine core when they fail... Porsche has stop manufacturing the m97 cores long ago so extremely difficult to find an intact core from a scrap yard. YMMV but engine rebuilders like Flat 6... advocate that the WP is a maintenance item and should be R&R every 25k miles or 2-3 yrs. This protocol has worked well for my vehicle thus far... I view it as an inexpensive measure towards the long term ownership/maintenance my C2S. These engines are only getting more expense to replace as time goes on... there are reports of p-dealers charging upwards of $30K for a crated rebuilt engine from the factory.

2. I replace the t-stat during the WP R&R since I'm already in there... time is typically more valuable than the parts cost so I prefer tackling multiple items where possible. FWIW, I replaced it with a low temp t-stat after the Porsche warranty expired and have been satisfied with the results thus far.
Old 06-01-2017, 05:40 PM
Misshe11
Track Day

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks much for posting this DIY! It was really helpful!

I just replaced my WP and saved myself $4-600! My only comments:

Remove the rear engine carrier! Its quite easy and makes access to the WP super simple, along with everything else. I also replaced the S-belt while it was out of the way and it took like a minute.

It wass
1xtorx E6 bolt (7.5 ft-lbs)
4x15 mm nuts (shown) (48 ft-lbs)
2x18 mm nuts from the engine mounts (63 ft-lbs)

Hold the motor up with a padded jack while removing and while it is off the car...

This part needs to be removed!

After removing...

Hope this helps someone!
Old 09-18-2018, 02:20 PM
byrona8
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the help!!
Old 08-20-2022, 06:40 PM
TerrestrialFlyte
Rennlist Member

Received 571 Likes on 313 Posts

Edit: Sorry, didn’t realize these showed up in the same subforum, thought they were separate. Created a new thread.

Last edited by TerrestrialFlyte; 08-20-2022 at 06:48 PM.

Quick Reply: DIY Preventative Maintenance: 997.1S Water Pump Replacement - Part 1