question about sound of GT3RS

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 08:31 PM
niner niner seven
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Headphones w vol max:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyJQY...ature=youtu.be

Kimster what 911 do you go ? Stop by and say hello next time.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:33 PM
chrcook
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, as you know, exhaust guidance is tough because personal tastes vary so much. Kinda like the question “who is the world’s best guitarist?” But, I’ll share my observations in an effort to muddy the water!

Below is my journey of exhaust changes & observations to my 997.2 C2S 6sp. Note that while this car is a DD, I am a racer and do like hearing the engine. Ever since my high school muscle cars with straight pipes, l do like a little noise.

1) Stock (primary middle + 2x side / secondary mufflers): Like everyone, too quite. Sounds like a washing machine. Happy wife
2) Gundo hack + stock primary middle: Did the hack with 2.25” stainless, which is a little larger than the 1.5” or 2” that most use. Nice grumble during start & idle, nice noise up until about 4000 rpm, then sounds stock. Has a little pop & grumble on deceleration. Wife notices something has changed.
3) Fabspeed X-pipe + side “Maxflo” mufflers, setting “loud”: Tone changed to be more refined, exotic and less “grumble” BUT was more quite than the hack with stock primary. Really like the tone, but couldn’t hear the engine with summer A/C and low music. After missing the match on a few shifts, I realize how much I rely on sound when driving to match engine and tranny. Happy wife.
4) Gundo hack + Fabspeed X-pipe: Many has said on this forum and other the hack + primary bypass is the way to go and I’d say they are right. Simply the sound is fantastic, albeit a little unrefined (basically, it’s not a straight pipe for a portion of the exhaust gas). Lots of deep grumble during idle with a some pop during deceleration. From 3000-5000 rpm the sound simply heaven and very much reminds me of a ’07 Cup car I raced for a bit. Above 5000, all 4 options seem about the same to me with the sound of air intake overtaking the exhaust. Wife very not happy.

The biggest difference I notice between the sound of GT3s (both street & Cup) is the gear whine from the tranny. I simply love sound and would wind the gears for no reason just to hear it. Option 4 above is not the same, but it’s pretty darn good and at least in the vicinity.

If I we doing it again, I would look hard at the FVD “street-sport” (non-PDK) as well as the Rennsport-1. The concept of losing the primary mufflers altogether and their associated weight makes a lot of sense. I was concerned about reported drone in the 2000 rpm zone, but one man’s drone is another’s music.

There’s my two cents to add to the confusuion!
Old 07-10-2012, 11:09 PM
dunlopnick
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

check out akrapovic exhausts - amazing sound ....
Old 07-11-2012, 12:00 AM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

GT3 Porsche has the best sound, untouchable. That alone has convinced me to own one in the next few years. I can't justify purchasing one after making a 997 purchase only 3 years ago but the GT3 is my next dream Porsche. Here's the video that made me realize the sound is epic....
Old 07-11-2012, 02:57 PM
dunlopnick
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

you can check this out also

Tubi system on an F77 - this is what I have ....
Old 07-11-2012, 04:12 PM
kimster
Intermediate

Originally Posted by niner niner seven
Headphones w vol max:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyJQY...ature=youtu.be

Kimster what 911 do you go ? Stop by and say hello next time.

Yeah thats the one... it sounded like heaven to me that day!..

right now I don't have a 911... I been doing a bunch of research and probably going to get a 997 C4S in a few months after I get rid off my current car.

I will defentely stop by and say hi next time... which one was your car out there?
Old 07-11-2012, 04:19 PM
kimster
Intermediate

Originally Posted by chrcook
Well, as you know, exhaust guidance is tough because personal tastes vary so much. Kinda like the question “who is the world’s best guitarist?” But, I’ll share my observations in an effort to muddy the water!

Below is my journey of exhaust changes & observations to my 997.2 C2S 6sp. Note that while this car is a DD, I am a racer and do like hearing the engine. Ever since my high school muscle cars with straight pipes, l do like a little noise.

1) Stock (primary middle + 2x side / secondary mufflers): Like everyone, too quite. Sounds like a washing machine. Happy wife
2) Gundo hack + stock primary middle: Did the hack with 2.25” stainless, which is a little larger than the 1.5” or 2” that most use. Nice grumble during start & idle, nice noise up until about 4000 rpm, then sounds stock. Has a little pop & grumble on deceleration. Wife notices something has changed.
3) Fabspeed X-pipe + side “Maxflo” mufflers, setting “loud”: Tone changed to be more refined, exotic and less “grumble” BUT was more quite than the hack with stock primary. Really like the tone, but couldn’t hear the engine with summer A/C and low music. After missing the match on a few shifts, I realize how much I rely on sound when driving to match engine and tranny. Happy wife.
4) Gundo hack + Fabspeed X-pipe: Many has said on this forum and other the hack + primary bypass is the way to go and I’d say they are right. Simply the sound is fantastic, albeit a little unrefined (basically, it’s not a straight pipe for a portion of the exhaust gas). Lots of deep grumble during idle with a some pop during deceleration. From 3000-5000 rpm the sound simply heaven and very much reminds me of a ’07 Cup car I raced for a bit. Above 5000, all 4 options seem about the same to me with the sound of air intake overtaking the exhaust. Wife very not happy.

The biggest difference I notice between the sound of GT3s (both street & Cup) is the gear whine from the tranny. I simply love sound and would wind the gears for no reason just to hear it. Option 4 above is not the same, but it’s pretty darn good and at least in the vicinity.

If I we doing it again, I would look hard at the FVD “street-sport” (non-PDK) as well as the Rennsport-1. The concept of losing the primary mufflers altogether and their associated weight makes a lot of sense. I was concerned about reported drone in the 2000 rpm zone, but one man’s drone is another’s music.

There’s my two cents to add to the confusuion!
Thanks for all that detailed info... that actually does help me alot to figure somethings out.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:14 PM
niner niner seven
Racer

Originally Posted by kimster
Yeah thats the one... it sounded like heaven to me that day!..

right now I don't have a 911... I been doing a bunch of research and probably going to get a 997 C4S in a few months after I get rid off my current car.

I will defentely stop by and say hi next time... which one was your car out there?
Here it is starting the lineup on the back nine:

Take care,

Matthew
Old 07-12-2012, 05:05 PM
kimster
Intermediate

nice...nice... I will definetly make out there next month a bit earlier. Last week we didn't get there until almost 10am.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:29 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

Wow! I like the green 930. Very cool.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:47 PM
TKO
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 46 Posts

Great sound for the non GT3 997.2 ...... TUBI

Old 07-12-2012, 07:50 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

Sounds like a bag of 20 wild cats. Awesome sound.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:40 AM
svb
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

To the OP, my recommendation is to be patient with your search and find a C2S or C4S already fitted with option PSE (Porsche Sport Exhaust.) The sound is exquisite, and second only to the sound of a GT3/GT3 RS for a factory Porsche exhaust system in my opinion. I just had the dealer install one on my C4S and it was worth every expensive penny. I think you would be very happy with the sound.

http://youtu.be/D01Zf7GcjAc

http://youtu.be/WzNTR6vkpQs

Last edited by svb; 07-14-2012 at 10:09 AM.
Old 07-14-2012, 02:39 PM
BHMav8r
Rennlist Member

Received 2,783 Likes on 1,762 Posts

Bookmarked to watch at work monday . . .

Quick Reply: question about sound of GT3RS