Sponsored by:

Question about '05 C2s

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 05:42 PM
Luxter
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Palmbeacher
That's rather a generalisation which doesn't always apply in the case of Porsches as many of them are not daily drivers and have below-average mileage.

Were I to sell my 7 year-old C2 today, the new owner would not need to do any of those services for some time, as the car has but 40K miles and has been maintained impeccably. The key is in a thorough inspection of both the car and its service records.
You are an exception to the rule. So am I.
Buying any used car, you should allow for "additional" maintenance that previous owner did not complete. Some cars will be more $$$$$$ and some will require less $$.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:16 AM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Luxter
Buying any used car, you should allow for "additional" maintenance that previous owner did not complete.
Bollocks. Buying any secondhand car, you should be given access to the full service records and not assume anything was done that isn't there in writing, despite whatever oaths the seller may swear. For that reason I will not buy a car if the owner has done his own maintenance. Receipts for oil and other fluids do not satisfy me that they were in fact put into the vehicle in question, nor at what actual dates or mileage.
Old 07-14-2012, 11:13 AM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

That's rather a generalisation which doesn't always apply in the case of Porsches as many of them are not daily drivers and have below-average mileage.

Were I to sell my 7 year-old C2 today, the new owner would not need to do any of those services for some time, as the car has but 40K miles and has been maintained impeccably. The key is in a thorough inspection of both the car and its service records.
That was my point: people generally do not perform maintenance and then sell their cars. You would obviously be an exception but then you're not selling your car at this time.

Not driving a car is not good for a car either - talk to any Porsche tech and they'll tell you that these cars need to be driven so a low mileage car does not necessarily equal up-to-date maintenance or good mechanical condition.

I've purchased a lot of Porsches and looked many more. Every seller says that their car is in "like concourse condition" and "you won't be disappointed". The reality is that the cars are not nearly as nice as the seller claims and even the really nice ones need work. But again these are just my experiences over the past 12 years.

As far as your advice for a thorough inspection that was in sync with what I recommended.
Old 07-14-2012, 02:08 PM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Originally Posted by jkw911
That was my point: people generally do not perform maintenance and then sell their cars.
That would assume 1)they knew for some time that they were planning to sell; and 2) they were stupid enough to think buyers would not check the service records and see immediately what has been neglected.

A wise buyer demands a look at the service records, and a cautious buyer discounts the veracity of a seller who alleges to have done his own maintenance...even if he presents the seller with a pile of receipts for supplies and a logbook of that alleged DIY maintenance.

Caveat emptor...and no, it doesn't mean "empty cavity" although that would certainly describe the bank account of a new owner who didn't ask for proof-positive of what maintenance had and had not been done prior to purchase.
Old 07-14-2012, 02:38 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Receipts for oil and other fluids do not satisfy me that they were in fact put into the vehicle in question, nor at what actual dates or mileage.
So you would prefer a car that got oil changed at a dealer once in 3 years to, say, my car that gets new oil 3 times per year?
Your choice.

People who track their cars bet their own life on mechanical condition of the vehicle they use. People who just drive and a 'wrench' to do all the work may have no idea what it is with the car.
Old 07-14-2012, 03:25 PM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

+1
Old 07-14-2012, 03:34 PM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Originally Posted by utkinpol
So you would prefer a car that got oil changed at a dealer once in 3 years to, say, my car that gets new oil 3 times per year?
Let me try to re-phrase so that even the most simple-minded amongst you can understand. Like any intelligent person, I would only buy a car whose oil had been changed at proper intervals, and the more frequently the better. But the only proof I will accept are bona-fide invoices from a licenced shop, dated and imprinted with the car's VIN and mileage. In other words, I would not take your word for it, not even if you showed me receipts for the purchase of oil.

And yes, before someone with delusions of his cleverness points it out, those official records could be forged. However that would constitute criminal fraud, and much easier to prove in court than an allegation of a verbal lie.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:40 PM
Bonster
Moderator and 993 whisperer
Lifetime Rennlist

I don't see a problem with either version. I am **** about records as well. However, a thorough PPI has also helped me in the past. I also track my cars - so I don't always go to my Porsche guru for everything. I do, however keep meticulous records.

If I were to sell a car, I would only do so if it was in the kind of shape I would expect for myself. If someone like Palmbeacher came along and decided against buying it because he was not comfortable with my work, that would be fine. If a track buddy came to buy it, if they knew me well, I am sure they would buy it.

There is a car for everyone - I see no issue with one's expectations when it comes to maintenance. You gotta do what is right by you.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:49 PM
Bonster
Moderator and 993 whisperer
Lifetime Rennlist

By the way... though Palm may have been a bit crass (hint), he does have a good point. I bought both of my 993s through Rennlist because I know people here. Both cars needed work -but I knew that going in and adjusted my purchase offer accordingly. Though not common for a female, I have wrenched on cars for years, so I had an advantage. But if one does not have that advantage, it is a very wise idea to get it in writing.

Quick Reply: Question about '05 C2s