Sponsored by:

Question about '05 C2s

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 08:07 AM
sy308
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Volnomad
Sy308, that is amazing. I guess patience is the most important thing to remember in this process. But I would think that a deal such as yours would get snatched up immediately.
You would tend to think so but there is a story about every car and an a$$ for every seat. If this is your first pcar, I recommend doing lots of research prior to making any decision. You probably feel safer seeing the car in person. No problem, but you also add lots of emotion to the purchase. I have purchased lots of cars sight unseen because I know the make. When the car comes, I check it out. If it is good, I keep it for a while, if it is not what I want, I sell it. If you wanted me to find you a Ford Taurus, I could not do it because I am not familiar. Many times people only buy CPO cars and there is nothing wrong with that. Probably they really NEED to do this because there is a bank note on the car and it is their only car. I look for cars from private parties only because that is where the best deals are. Sure, I could go to my local dealer today and pay top dollar for a pcar. I would then have trouble bragging about the price though. This can get pretty complicated but you have to have patience and know what you want and don't want. Define your mission, try to avoid modified cars and always look for resale. Off color cars are not always easy sellers. You won't keep it forever. Just because it looks like a good deal, does not necessarily mean it will be one when you sell. I have waited for 6 months to find the right one, but when you do, you will know it right away. Good luck.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:49 AM
tpenta
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

These are crazy numbers. I guess we must be going through a hot period again. I see absolutely no reason why someone should pay $50k for a 7+ year old car.

I have been looking at 09 C2S and here in SoCal they are consistently selling in the 70's. If you assume about an $8k drop for every model year, then where should the 05s be? I think it is good to see how prices fluctuate across the years and see if things add up.

I also don't really believe in the "classic" idea. I don't think there is anything classic about the 997. I can say that about the 993 and preior but would never say that about 996 and I suspect I would feel that about the 997 either 10 years from now. But that's just me.

Anyway, hope you find something you really like!

-T
Old 07-10-2012, 10:08 AM
Spokane5150
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buying a car with previous damage may no be a bad option for you because you could easily save $10k. If the car had a slight fender bender on the front with a fender and hood replacement and excellent paint match and paint coverage then I would consider it. Sometimes guys will get their cars key'd and they paint the side of the car. The Porsche buying can be finicky and CarFax reports have really exposed these issues for the consumer which is a good thing. Previously damaged cars are hard to sell so the price usually suffers and goes down dramatically. Good luck!
Old 07-10-2012, 10:36 AM
66mustang
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Check out this post. You could get a 2007 cheaper than the 05

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...arrera-fs.html

link to car
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...&&aff=national
Old 07-10-2012, 11:37 AM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Originally Posted by tpenta
I also don't really believe in the "classic" idea. I don't think there is anything classic about the 997. I can say that about the 993 and preior but would never say that about 996 and I suspect I would feel that about the 997 either 10 years from now. But that's just me.
I think everyone would agree about the 996. But the 997 wasn't so much a completely different car than a do-over of Porsche's styling blunders. There are two things working in favour of the 997 becoming a "classic":

The first is the fact that the 991 is in numerous ways a major departure from the traditional Porsche paradigm. It may be garnering interest amongst those who a)heretofore never owned a Porsche because they felt it too uncomfortable, noisy, harsh-riding, difficult to drive, and/or not luxurious enough; or b) Porsche owners who are what I refer to as "serial uptraders", i.e. those who cannot stand to be seen driving an "obsolete" bodystyle. But at the same time, it disappoints and alienates a large cadre of long-time Porsche owners, as well as true diving enthusiasts who have dreamt of owning a Porsche "someday".

The second is that eventually the price of a mint or expertly-restored 993 or 964 will have risen to a level many can no longer afford. At that point, enthusiasts will seize upon the 997 as the next affordable alternative. There will be a market for the 996, but only to outfit them exclusively for the track.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:05 PM
Volnomad
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post

Hey, guys. I found another one that I like. It is a long way from me though and private seller. Looks like a better option in some ways, even has a warranty.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...minPrice=45000
Old 07-11-2012, 01:02 PM
Gt3 Racer RS
Banned

Newest Excellence magazine has a thing about this!
Old 07-12-2012, 12:27 AM
Cicerosecundus
Track Day

Default 2005 C2 Cab loaded with options

Recently bought a 2005 C2 Cab late build date with 2006 IRS bearing, Bose, Nav, full leather, PASM, Sport Chrono and 57K miles for $39K in Southern Florida.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:01 AM
Volnomad
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for your thoughts guys. GT3, the Excellence Mag article was helpful. Appreciate the tip.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:19 PM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

When you are looking at a car that is 7 years old you have to be prepared for some potential maintenance items. Even if the car is pristine and has no issues it's maintenance cycle most likely is at its end. Brakes, clutch, tires, alignment, belt, major service, and fluid replacement can easily run 7k+. My advise would be to really examine the maintenance records and get a PPI from someone you trust. Usually cars in this age bracket are sold before this work has been done.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:50 PM
BED997
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 45 Posts

I think the upward price point changes are holding up used 997s. It's tough to rationalize paying over twice the money for a new 991 when some great 05-07 low mileage 997 cars are out there, many certified pre owned. Both are solid cars. I think $115k is a lot for a car; $55k sounds better to me.

If you read two posts on here one person loves the way the 991 drives and then another prefers the 997...
Old 07-13-2012, 10:36 AM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Originally Posted by jkw911
When you are looking at a car that is 7 years old you have to be prepared for some potential maintenance items. Even if the car is pristine and has no issues it's maintenance cycle most likely is at its end. Brakes, clutch, tires, alignment, belt, major service, and fluid replacement can easily run 7k+. My advise would be to really examine the maintenance records and get a PPI from someone you trust. Usually cars in this age bracket are sold before this work has been done.
That's rather a generalisation which doesn't always apply in the case of Porsches as many of them are not daily drivers and have below-average mileage.

Were I to sell my 7 year-old C2 today, the new owner would not need to do any of those services for some time, as the car has but 40K miles and has been maintained impeccably. The key is in a thorough inspection of both the car and its service records.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:42 AM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Originally Posted by BED997
It's tough to rationalize paying over twice the money for a new 991
If you need some truly creative input to help with that, I suggest you read the 991 forum section
Old 07-13-2012, 11:17 AM
Spokane5150
Banned

Easy to rationalize if you have the disposable income and not so much if you don't. I don't so I bought used. Very happy with the decision.

Originally Posted by BED997
I think the upward price point changes are holding up used 997s. It's tough to rationalize paying over twice the money for a new 991 when some great 05-07 low mileage 997 cars are out there, many certified pre owned. Both are solid cars. I think $115k is a lot for a car; $55k sounds better to me.

If you read two posts on here one person loves the way the 991 drives and then another prefers the 997...
Old 07-13-2012, 05:34 PM
BED997
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 45 Posts

It's also easier to spend it if you are kid-less and/or single... I will say I'd like to order a new car exactly my way someday. It's hard to pass up a pretty good 997 car for less money. Love the one your with.

Quick Reply: Question about '05 C2s