Sponsored by:

Porsche Battery warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 07:26 PM
blackonblack
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Porsche Battery warranty?

I searched and couldn't really find an answer to this - I replaced my battery 4 years ago in 08 with a genuine Porsche one, I've kept it on a maintainer as I don't drive the car much. Recently the car is dead and I have tried charging it, but it still won't start.

I know porsche has a 2 year warranty on all their parts, but what about their batteries? It would seem like something that they would offer a longer warranty on.

Also, is it bad to charge it with high amperage while it is connected to the car? What about trying to start the car which it is being charged with high amperage?
Old 06-28-2012, 08:51 PM
aviatorX
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blackonblack
I searched and couldn't really find an answer to this - I replaced my battery 4 years ago in 08 with a genuine Porsche one, I've kept it on a maintainer as I don't drive the car much. Recently the car is dead and I have tried charging it, but it still won't start.

I know porsche has a 2 year warranty on all their parts, but what about their batteries? It would seem like something that they would offer a longer warranty on.

Also, is it bad to charge it with high amperage while it is connected to the car? What about trying to start the car which it is being charged with high amperage?

You made the mistake that many of us have made....once! I had a new one last a little over 1 year and they wouldn't do anything for me when it failed.

Now learn a lesson from your experience. Never, never, never buy another Porsche battery. They do not stand behind them and they have a reputation of premature failure.

Go with the Interstate H7. It is IDENTICAL in size/shape to the stock Porsche battery right down to the fold-down handles and the vent location. It has more CCA than the stock one, costs less, and they are warranted and actually stand behind them.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:19 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by aviatorX
You made the mistake that many of us have made....once! I had a new one last a little over 1 year and they wouldn't do anything for me when it failed.

Now learn a lesson from your experience. Never, never, never buy another Porsche battery. They do not stand behind them and they have a reputation of premature failure.

Go with the Interstate H7. It is IDENTICAL in size/shape to the stock Porsche battery right down to the fold-down handles and the vent location. It has more CCA than the stock one, costs less, and they are warranted and actually stand behind them.

Well, the original Moll battery in my Boxster lasted over 6 years. The Moll replacement lasted around 4. Its replacement is an Interstate. The dealer SM told me, and the parts manager confirmed it, dealers are moving away from Moll batteries.

Interstate seems to be popular. The better ones used to come from Spain but the last time I was in a dealer the parts manager looked over his collection of maybe 12 batteries and not one was made in Spain.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:24 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by blackonblack

Generally batteries are considered wear items. If you have a bad battery in a new car shortly after buying the car the battery would be I bet covered.

But when I bought my 03 Turbo with an Interstate battery and it failed about a year later, the battery was not covered by the CPO warranty.

Can't help you with the charge rates. But you want the right answers.

I have an adversion to turning on a car's ignition, trying to start the engine, with anything connected to the battery except properly connected jumper cables. Even then I hold my breath and cross my fingers.

Battery chargers and battery tenders scare me.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:31 PM
BoxsterG
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy the Walmart or Costco battery. You can get a 100 month warranty with first 4 years full replacement from Costco for example. It cost me ~$75.

"The majority of car batteries are created by 3 manufacturers - Delphi, Exide and Johnson Controls Industries. Delphi makes some EverStart models sold in Walmart and ACDelco. Johnson Control Industries makes Duralast seen in Autozone stores, Diehard - sold in Sears, Kirkland - the Costco brand, Motorcraft - which Ford sells, some of the EverStarts, and Interstate. Exide makes Exide batteries, Champion, Napa and even a % of the EverStart batteries."
Old 06-29-2012, 12:43 AM
stevebmd
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with all the above, after replacing two 997 batteries over the course of three years ownership of a cpo 997
Old 06-29-2012, 02:28 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Battery tender works well for me. I would avoid jumping the car. Too many sensitive expensive electronic components which might get affected.

My younger son just tried jumping his Tacoma last week when his battery died. Ended up frying the ABS system. I was traveling at the time so have to trust that he did it right. Regardless... the dealer wanted $2K for a new ABS assembly and $1K to install. A bit of DIY troubleshooting and some ebay searches... we replaced the electronic module ourselves yesterday for $135 and it only took 30mins. Everything is back in order but the lesson learned was don't jump the vehicle. Just get a new battery.

BTW, the replace battery from Walmart has been a gem so far on my '08 C2S.
Old 06-29-2012, 02:42 AM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can charge the battery without disconnecting it. but at 4 years, it's due for a new one. as others have said, get a cheap one for better warranty and durability. sears diehard gold is good for 3 years full replacement and walmart's cheap battery is a good option. costco batteries are good but often not available at the store.

be sure to wear long sleeves and eye protection while working on batteries. also connect the vent tube correctly. if in doubt, get it done properly and don't screw up the + and - terminals.

i have never had any jump start issues. those that do must have had bad luck or done it incorrectly.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:43 AM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

Received 781 Likes on 289 Posts

Related question - 'Service Now' light on after 21k miles. Then, airbag light came on. Taking to dealer for 20k service. If airbag light is due to battery, is battery replaced under warranty? 2011 Cayman, bought new in January 2011.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:35 AM
Musclehedz101
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 on walmart battery (everstart). I replaced mine two years ago and has served me well. Perfect fit!
Make sure to keep battery tender (trickel charger) on car while doing battery swap to maintain settings.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:40 AM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by djantlive
you can charge the battery without disconnecting it. but at 4 years, it's due for a new one. as others have said, get a cheap one for better warranty and durability. sears diehard gold is good for 3 years full replacement and walmart's cheap battery is a good option. costco batteries are good but often not available at the store.

be sure to wear long sleeves and eye protection while working on batteries. also connect the vent tube correctly. if in doubt, get it done properly and don't screw up the + and - terminals.

i have never had any jump start issues. those that do must have had bad luck or done it incorrectly.
My 2004 Boxster 550 Edition is still on its original battery. I've used a Porsche battery maintainer whenever it sits for more than a week or so. (Winter or if I'm away.)
Old 06-29-2012, 11:16 AM
frappold
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just had my battery replaced.

Just had my battery fail on my "new" CPO 997.2 last week. Roadside assistance took it to the dealer where they then called me to authorize a new battery..appx. $300. My car is still under the factory warranty. I read and re-read the warranty and clearly the battery IS covered. I called back to dispute their findings and they called Porsche and it was covered. I think most people just say yes to the new battery without looking at their warranty. They were cool about it, and it took longer because they said Porsche had to "send" them a battery. But it was covered.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:34 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The factory OEM battery in my Boxster lasted 6 driving seasons and 6 winter hibernations. It was always on the Porsche battery maintainer when not being driven (when I would on sunny weekends). I replaced it last summer with a Duralast battery from AutoZone. When they tested my battery, for the core exchange deposit, I had them test it. It was still good. I replaced the OEM just for the cheap insurance. And it gave me the opportunity to give the battery tray a full concours detail.

In the Turbo I run an Interstate MTP-91.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:20 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by frappold
Just had my battery fail on my "new" CPO 997.2 last week. Roadside assistance took it to the dealer where they then called me to authorize a new battery..appx. $300. My car is still under the factory warranty. I read and re-read the warranty and clearly the battery IS covered. I called back to dispute their findings and they called Porsche and it was covered. I think most people just say yes to the new battery without looking at their warranty. They were cool about it, and it took longer because they said Porsche had to "send" them a battery. But it was covered.
It "should" be covered but there are enough "weasel words" in the warranty for some dealers to deny waranty if you don't drive the car at least 6,000 miles/year.
Old 06-30-2012, 12:16 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

My dealer installed an Interstate for me in my 06S, years ago, instead of the Porsche battery, cheaper and better!

Quick Reply: Porsche Battery warranty?