Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Battery warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 01:23 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

I was told that Audi batteries are specd, sized the same, but a lot cheaper.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:23 PM
skier8dude
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Still have the original battery in my '06 Cab with 30K miles, use a battery tender most of the time. No problems so far.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:33 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by skier8dude
Still have the original battery in my '06 Cab with 30K miles, use a battery tender most of the time. No problems so far.
Good job, check your battery's water level.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:44 PM
blackonblack
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I called Interstate and they were asking $204 for the H7, porsche was asking $240 for the OEM one. I ended up going with the OEM one as it was closer by, not much more, I like the OEM branded parts, and I got to check out the new 991.

I hadn't driven my car in a couple months and I had forgotten how great it was, it was a pleasant surprise! It's amazing how fast it is, I just can't imagine what a 997 Turbo is like.

I remember last time I replaced my battery I had to have Porsche reset the car as the heated seats and garage door open didn't work after disconnecting the battery. Surprisingly this time they did. I did nothing different than the last change, who knows. On the down side my automatic headlights nor automatic windows no longer work, guess I gotta bring it to Porsche after all. Oh yeah and my check engine light was on, after disconnecting the battery, it went away!
Old 07-02-2012, 01:03 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by blackonblack
On the down side my automatic headlights nor automatic windows no longer work, guess I gotta bring it to Porsche after all. Oh yeah and my check engine light was on, after disconnecting the battery, it went away!
Not sure about the headlights.

Reprogramming the auto up & down for the windows is easy, and you can do it. Just hold the button.

As for the CEL, you "cleared" the code when you disconnected the power. You need that code to diagnose the problem. It might or might not come back, depending.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:39 PM
blackonblack
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
Not sure about the headlights.

Reprogramming the auto up & down for the windows is easy, and you can do it. Just hold the button.

As for the CEL, you "cleared" the code when you disconnected the power. You need that code to diagnose the problem. It might or might not come back, depending.
Okay thanks for the window tip.

As far as the CEL, it came on after the car sat for a while and the car was warning me about low oil. I put more oil in it and it was okay but the light stayed on. I think its fine now as after the reset the light hasn't come back after driving it for a while.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:33 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

There was an article in the Nov. 2010 issue of Excellence describing the problems associated with disconnecting the battery with a CEL. The car is storing the code for a reason, if you disconnect/reconnect the battery and then continue to drive with the problem (the CEL is gone because you disconnected the battery) you could further the problem your car had to begin with (and possibly make things worse..).

Many modern cars are similar in this regard and the 997 in no excption. As it says in the article: "Don't disconnect the battery!".
Old 07-02-2012, 04:30 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 251 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by YoungTurk
Related question - 'Service Now' light on after 21k miles. Then, airbag light came on. Taking to dealer for 20k service. If airbag light is due to battery, is battery replaced under warranty? 2011 Cayman, bought new in January 2011.
A low/going bad battery may cause/trigger an ABS warning light due to the most obvious reason a voltage drop below what the ABS controller expects.

A replacement battery might result in the ABS warning light being extinguished with no further action required on your part.

Whether the battery is replaced under warranty though I can't say. I've never had a new car under a new car warranty require a battery.

I had a CPO car's battery falter and this was not covered by the CPO warranty. I questioned this and was given a print out of the coverage -- of course I didn't have it with me in the car -- and I was convinced the battery wasn't covered. Now the car in question had the new/improved CPO warranty which is reported to be much better than the old CPO warranty and maybe another subtle change is the battery is no longer covered.

Since the car is still under warranty I'd advise you to check with your dealer's service department.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:37 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 251 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by blackonblack
Okay thanks for the window tip.

As far as the CEL, it came on after the car sat for a while and the car was warning me about low oil. I put more oil in it and it was okay but the light stayed on. I think its fine now as after the reset the light hasn't come back after driving it for a while.
Window limits need to be reset after the car loses power during a battery change if carry over power is not supplied.

For older models the steps are: Lower the window completely. Release the button. Raise the window holding the raise button down until the window is completely up and continue to hold the button down for 5 seconds. Release the button. Repeat for other window.

Now the 997's might be different so you might want to consult your owners manual.

Oh, the e-Gas system needs to be recalibrated. It does this on its on when given the right sequence of conditions. These are (at least for the older/pre 997 models) turn on the ignition key to on but not to start. Leave in this position for 60 seconds. Turn the key to off. Leave the ignition off for 10 seconds. Then start the engine. This completes the e-Gas recalibration.

Do not at any time in going through the above steps touch the gas pedal. After the engine starts though, of course, you can use the gas pedal.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:38 PM
krysFly
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there a model number for the ever-start battery @walmart?
Old 07-02-2012, 10:20 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by krysFly
Is there a model number for the ever-start battery @walmart?
http://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart-...ttery/20531542
Old 07-02-2012, 10:29 PM
krysFly
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thx
Old 07-03-2012, 04:33 AM
Musclehedz101
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Everstart Maxx 94RS (Walmart, $90 + Core exchange, "S" stands for Southern)
Old 08-17-2014, 04:48 PM
gordonfc
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 6 year old Cayman battery dead, and buried

I bought my 2008 Cayman 2.7 L in Feb of 2014.
Have put ~ 2200 km on it.
I am retired therefore do not commute.
Car only had 21,000 km on it from the original owner who bought a 2014.

The original MOLL battery does,as do they all in a Porsche, required a battery tender on it, even though O drive it every day it is only for about 30minutes which includes 2 or 3 engine starts, groceries, bar, etc.

I checked the fluid level and had to add about 5 ounces of distilled water.
Charged the batt. up at 10 amps then 2 amps.

It lasted for one engines start and left me stranded in a shopping parking lot.

OF COURSE the Porsche dealer, one of the largest in Canada, said Porsche does not cover batteries. DUH.

Anyhow...... Researched batteries on line, including this site and among others the "EVERSTART MAXX-94R" with 850 CCamps. fits perfectly with no fooling around at all.

The new batt. weigh about 39 pounds, and are fully charges when built.
I checked the manufacture date which is on the top of the battery 6/14 =
June 2014. Good new .

To remove the existing battery undo the restraining bolt on the passenger side of the batt.
Remove the vent tube same side.
Remove the - and + leads.
slide battery about 1/2 inch to the passenger side to allow the batt. lower lip to slide out from the retaining ledge.
Lift out. It may feel as though it is stuck, it is is only heavy.
Insert new battery.
Reconnect the - and + terminals.
Reconnect vent tube. It simply pulls out or pushes in the remove or replace.
On the top of the battery on the + terminal there is a plastic terminal cover.
Remove it and detach the small round plastic vent tube plug, Stick that plug into the unused vent hole on the driver side of the battery.
Job done.

The TPMS light will come on but the tire pressure sensors will reset when you drive.

Actually I replaced the battery in far less time than it took me to type this up.

btw: I Canada at Walmart this battery is $137.97 Cdn, it has a 3 year free replacement and a 108 month. Warantee, and 3 month roadside assistance.

Remember to keep the receipt safe somewhere.
Old 08-17-2014, 07:27 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by gordonfc
I bought my 2008 Cayman 2.7 L in Feb of 2014.
Have put ~ 2200 km on it.
I am retired therefore do not commute.
Car only had 21,000 km on it from the original owner who bought a 2014.

The original MOLL battery does,as do they all in a Porsche, required a battery tender on it, even though O drive it every day it is only for about 30minutes which includes 2 or 3 engine starts, groceries, bar, etc.

I checked the fluid level and had to add about 5 ounces of distilled water.
Charged the batt. up at 10 amps then 2 amps.

It lasted for one engines start and left me stranded in a shopping parking lot.

OF COURSE the Porsche dealer, one of the largest in Canada, said Porsche does not cover batteries. DUH.

Anyhow...... Researched batteries on line, including this site and among others the "EVERSTART MAXX-94R" with 850 CCamps. fits perfectly with no fooling around at all.

The new batt. weigh about 39 pounds, and are fully charges when built.
I checked the manufacture date which is on the top of the battery 6/14 =
June 2014. Good new .

To remove the existing battery undo the restraining bolt on the passenger side of the batt.
Remove the vent tube same side.
Remove the - and + leads.
slide battery about 1/2 inch to the passenger side to allow the batt. lower lip to slide out from the retaining ledge.
Lift out. It may feel as though it is stuck, it is is only heavy.
Insert new battery.
Reconnect the - and + terminals.
Reconnect vent tube. It simply pulls out or pushes in the remove or replace.
On the top of the battery on the + terminal there is a plastic terminal cover.
Remove it and detach the small round plastic vent tube plug, Stick that plug into the unused vent hole on the driver side of the battery.
Job done.

The TPMS light will come on but the tire pressure sensors will reset when you drive.

Actually I replaced the battery in far less time than it took me to type this up.

btw: I Canada at Walmart this battery is $137.97 Cdn, it has a 3 year free replacement and a 108 month. Warantee, and 3 month roadside assistance.

Remember to keep the receipt safe somewhere.
Nice write-up...what you probably saw was a PSM error not TPMS.

Quick Reply: Porsche Battery warranty?