Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with Third Brake light(center)

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 09:28 PM
mdr2001
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Third Brake light(center)

I have a little condensation in my center or Third brake light. Wondering if anyone has a diagram or link to a "how to" to remove the interior pieces to get to the light so I can remove, dry and reseal as needed.

Any help is appreciated. now back to random internet searches for the diagram
Old 06-27-2012, 09:50 PM
997C2S9ff
Advanced

Here we go

http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-p...-08/803-05.php
and
http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-p...-08/905-05.php

From what I remember the light is just held by clips - but never disassembled it itself.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:54 PM
mdr2001
Instructor

This is why i love this forum...ask and ye shall receive.

Thanks a ton...

Mark
Old 06-27-2012, 11:07 PM
mdr2001
Instructor

Ok - maybe I got over confident when I saw the diagram.. I tried to slide the light over to release the clip - but that didnt work. I tried to pull on the light to release the clip, but didnt want to break the clip. I went into the back seat and messed with the carpet, but didnt find an obvious spot to pull it back -- not sure if that would be the release access point.

going thru the engine compartment is definitely not the right way.

The internet has every other car -- 996 boxster, bimmer, audi, ford, charger, etc, etc...

someone on 6speed asked the question in 2009, but the answer said "it takes 3 minutes" but no pictures.

The condensation is driving me crazy
Old 07-06-2012, 01:40 PM
VincentMorin
Intermediate

Hi mdr2001! I'm looking for the same answer (how to disassemble this third brake light without breaking the clip). Any help from other fellow Rennlist members would be much appreciated! I don't remember where on this forum I've read that the condensation might be caused by a small hole on the light unit (humidity evacuator) that might have gotten blocked? I'll let you know if I find any easy way to disassemble it without breaking anything
Old 08-01-2012, 02:18 AM
VincentMorin
Intermediate

To anyone who would find this post while searching how to disassemble the third brake light... It's a little more complicated than I thought... You have to disassemble parts inside the car (below rear window) and outside of it (over the rear spoiler part)... More to follow once I receive the part from Suncoast!
Old 04-08-2013, 01:08 PM
colombiano
Instructor

Hi, did you ever resolve this ? I'm in similar situation. Thanks
Old 04-08-2013, 01:32 PM
VincentMorin
Intermediate

Of course colombiano! Very simple once you know how: remove interior trim part below rear window (you'll probably brake a few holding clips, buy them from Suncoast when you buy the light, there are 5 of them), then, unscrew 2 bolts holding the third brake light (located in holes under round sound insulators on each sides. Then from the outside, open the rear spoiler... You'll see 2 screws holding the third brake light in the crack between the rear spoiler and third brake light, unscrew them. Then, pry the third brake light out of it's socket... Unplug defective light, plug the new one. Reverse procedure. Voilà! You can buy it from Suncoast... They can probably send you a .pdf of the procedure if you need it but as I said it's very simple with the instructions I gave you.

Also as a side note, if you want more engine sound in the cabin, don't put back the 2 round sound insulators... I did that on my 4S and I have to say that the music of the engine is even better... Hope it helps! Cheers!
Old 04-27-2013, 11:48 PM
colombiano
Instructor

Originally Posted by VincentMorin
Of course colombiano! Very simple once you know how: remove interior trim part below rear window (you'll probably brake a few holding clips, buy them from Suncoast when you buy the light, there are 5 of them), then, unscrew 2 bolts holding the third brake light (located in holes under round sound insulators on each sides. Then from the outside, open the rear spoiler... You'll see 2 screws holding the third brake light in the crack between the rear spoiler and third brake light, unscrew them. Then, pry the third brake light out of it's socket... Unplug defective light, plug the new one. Reverse procedure. Voilà! You can buy it from Suncoast... They can probably send you a .pdf of the procedure if you need it but as I said it's very simple with the instructions I gave you.

Also as a side note, if you want more engine sound in the cabin, don't put back the 2 round sound insulators... I did that on my 4S and I have to say that the music of the engine is even better... Hope it helps! Cheers!

Thank you for the write up.

Unfortunately am after the third stop light on the wing.

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...de=997S_Lights mine came off some sort of clips are missing to mount on. Will keep looking. thank you though.
Old 06-15-2020, 05:23 PM
rtl5009
Three Wheelin'

Received 679 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by VincentMorin

hey I am about to do this- did you get your new one painted? What is the part number for the clips inside the cabin?
Old 06-15-2020, 05:38 PM
TheTorch
Rennlist Member

Received 398 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by rtl5009
hey I am about to do this- did you get your new one painted? What is the part number for the clips inside the cabin?
clips: 999-507-687-05

Just buy 4 or 5. You are going to break a couple getting the panel off. It takes a lot of force to get the panel off.

Last edited by TheTorch; 06-15-2020 at 05:43 PM. Reason: added tip on buying...
Old 06-15-2020, 05:51 PM
rtl5009
Three Wheelin'

Another random question- my panel for the 3rd brake light is painted and the replacement is black from the factory- is there a way to remove just the light from the trim piece- I realize I have to buy the whole thing but would like to keep it painted with out having to get it painted?
Old 06-15-2020, 07:19 PM
TheTorch
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rtl5009
Another random question- my panel for the 3rd brake light is painted and the replacement is black from the factory- is there a way to remove just the light from the trim piece- I realize I have to buy the whole thing but would like to keep it painted with out having to get it painted?
There is an interior panel (carpeted), exterior panel (body color), and the actual light insert, which has a black plastic surround. My stock one was black, and the replacement was black. I don't understand what you need to paint body color ?

The led strip with the black plastic surround is probably not going to come apart as I recall.
Old 06-15-2020, 10:43 PM
rtl5009
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TheTorch
There is an interior panel (carpeted), exterior panel (body color), and the actual light insert, which has a black plastic surround. My stock one was black, and the replacement was black. I don't understand what you need to paint body color ?

The led strip with the black plastic surround is probably not going to come apart as I recall.
it totally looks painted on an atlas grey car. You would swear it’s atlas grey.

but you are right it is black!
Old 06-15-2020, 11:58 PM
TheTorch
Rennlist Member

Further tips:
  • Put blue painter's tape on the bottom rear window and around the edges of the outside panel. Once you take it off it wants to scratch stuff, and it's attached to the car by the harness so you can't pull it all the way off -- you have to lay it on the car. It's awkward and real easy to scratch the car there. Have a couple soft rags handy too.
  • Working in the back seat / bench area is miserably tight if you are normal or especially larger / taller person. Don't do it on a hot day outside. You will sweat your shirt off in there.
  • Getting the old light unit out involved basically snapping all the plastic clips. The old one goes in the trash and don't sweat breaking those. New unit has its own clips.
  • When reinstalling the exterior panel, you have to fuss around to get the alignment just right so the lines of the roof / spoiler edge are even and lined up. Step away and take some looks before you finish tightening. The gaps need to be right or it will bug you forever.
  • When you are done you will be asking yourself why changing a lightbulb is so hard in this car. It's an elegant design, but good grief a lot of work for a part you expect to replace in most cars.

I think if I had to do it again, I might try to skip the whole process and break out the old light from the outside. This would allow one to skip taking off the interior or exterior panels. Then I think you could just plug in the new one, and snap it in from the outside as you do anyway. I remember thinking that's probably how the techs do it, instead of all the fooling around in the back seat/shelf. Just break the sucker out. Could be risky damaging the harness or the paint, but I think it would work. Curious after you do this if you think the same or not.

Not recommending it if you haven't seen what's there though. Better safe than sorry the first time around.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Help with Third Brake light(center)