Help with Third Brake light(center)

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2020, 10:28 AM
rtl5009
Three Wheelin'

Received 679 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by TheTorch
Further tips:
  • Put blue painter's tape on the bottom rear window and around the edges of the outside panel. Once you take it off it wants to scratch stuff, and it's attached to the car by the harness so you can't pull it all the way off -- you have to lay it on the car. It's awkward and real easy to scratch the car there. Have a couple soft rags handy too.
  • Working in the back seat / bench area is miserably tight if you are normal or especially larger / taller person. Don't do it on a hot day outside. You will sweat your shirt off in there.
  • Getting the old light unit out involved basically snapping all the plastic clips. The old one goes in the trash and don't sweat breaking those. New unit has its own clips.
  • When reinstalling the exterior panel, you have to fuss around to get the alignment just right so the lines of the roof / spoiler edge are even and lined up. Step away and take some looks before you finish tightening. The gaps need to be right or it will bug you forever.
  • When you are done you will be asking yourself why changing a lightbulb is so hard in this car. It's an elegant design, but good grief a lot of work for a part you expect to replace in most cars.

I think if I had to do it again, I might try to skip the whole process and break out the old light from the outside. This would allow one to skip taking off the interior or exterior panels. Then I think you could just plug in the new one, and snap it in from the outside as you do anyway. I remember thinking that's probably how the techs do it, instead of all the fooling around in the back seat/shelf. Just break the sucker out. Could be risky damaging the harness or the paint, but I think it would work. Curious after you do this if you think the same or not.

Not recommending it if you haven't seen what's there though. Better safe than sorry the first time around.

Good luck.
Thanks I actually took it out last night as I had a free hour- its very straight forward- broke 3 of the 5 clips- the replacement bar is on the way from pelican along with 5 new clips. I agree, it would be easiest just to bust the old one out. I put it back together except for the rear carpet plate since its so straight forward- Parts get here thursday.
The following users liked this post:
TheTorch (06-16-2020)
Old 04-08-2021, 11:47 AM
TerpsRED
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

What is the best way to yank the carpet out of the rear parcel shelf area? For the life of me, I can't get a grip on it enough to move it. I don't want to use too much of a hard tool near the glass for fear of cracking the rear glass. Any advice? My fixed rear light is out now so I need to see if it is the bulb or something else. I don't want to shatter the light bar just in case it is a wire that is busted or something else other than the light unit itself.

The spoiler embedded light works fine, and when that is up, I don't get the dash warning.
Old 04-08-2021, 08:30 PM
rtl5009
Three Wheelin'

Received 679 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by TerpsRED
What is the best way to yank the carpet out of the rear parcel shelf area? For the life of me, I can't get a grip on it enough to move it. I don't want to use too much of a hard tool near the glass for fear of cracking the rear glass. Any advice? My fixed rear light is out now so I need to see if it is the bulb or something else. I don't want to shatter the light bar just in case it is a wire that is busted or something else other than the light unit itself.

The spoiler embedded light works fine, and when that is up, I don't get the dash warning.
just bust it out. It’s ok if it breaks, you are replacing it anyway. I wouldn’t even mess with the inside.
Old 04-09-2021, 09:53 AM
Qwksnke
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by rtl5009
just bust it out. It’s ok if it breaks, you are replacing it anyway. I wouldn’t even mess with the inside.
Agreed. Also, its an LED light strip, no bulb can be replaced

Quick Reply: Help with Third Brake light(center)