Sponsored by:

where are the high mileage 997?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 12:48 PM
GTS Sully
Pro

Received 152 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
Driven cars, and driven on a regular basis and with gusto, last long. Garage queens, leak and die.
Agree with this - which means I've got to drive mine a lot more. Both my wife and I have daily drivers so the GTS does sit a lot. I get in it every weekend and some weeknights to buzz around, but nothing that's racking up miles other than the every other month spirited driving trips I do with a group of guys.

This December will be a year and I've put less than 3K on the car so far.
Old 08-22-2016, 01:02 PM
EMC2
Burning Brakes

Received 432 Likes on 173 Posts

2009 997.2 C2 - runs beautifully!!!

Taken about a week ago:
Old 08-22-2016, 02:58 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 394 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by GTS Sully
Agree with this - which means I've got to drive mine a lot more. Both my wife and I have daily drivers so the GTS does sit a lot. I get in it every weekend and some weeknights to buzz around, but nothing that's racking up miles other than the every other month spirited driving trips I do with a group of guys.

You are probably fine. If you drive weekly (or so), get it to temp and then exercise it above 4kRPM (without abuse) is just fine. Longer drives, 20 miles or more, the better.
Old 08-22-2016, 03:10 PM
GTS Sully
Pro

You are probably fine. If you drive weekly (or so), get it to temp and then exercise it above 4kRPM (without abuse) is just fine. Longer drives, 20 miles or more, the better.
This fits pretty much what I've been doing. Below 4K up to 200 degrees, then exercise above 4K often for 25-30 miles.
Old 08-22-2016, 03:27 PM
vbb
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Driven cars, and driven on a regular basis and with gusto, last long. Garage queens, leak and die.
The independent Porsche mechanic and guru that I take my car to says the exact same thing, and he would definitely know, as he's owned, raced and repaired Porsches for 30+ years.

I always shake my head slightly at the folks who are looking for 7-8 year old cars, but are obsessed with finding one with the lowest mileage possible. To each his own, but I would not want a 8 year old car that had only 15K miles on the odo.

I do not daily drive my car, and like a few others that have already posted, I only put maybe 4K-5K on it a year at most. That said, almost all of that mileage is crossed in longer, spirited drives where I've taken the RPMs all through the range and run the car for at least 30 continuous minutes where I've given things time to heat up and cycle through. I dislike making short drives in this car where I drive 4 miles then cut it off, only to drive 4 more miles and cut it off again (running errands). Not only is that boring, but it isn't good for the car either. The best drives are the ones where I take it out of the garage, drive around for 30 mins, or 90 minutes, or whatever, and don't turn the car off until I'm back in the garage again. No destination other than just enjoy the drive.
Old 08-22-2016, 03:33 PM
pavster
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been daily driving mine since bought it brand new. Last six years working from home so the driving is limited to trips to/from train station or airport, once or twice per week. Lucky to completely avoid any kind of traffic and loving every minute of it. Planning to keep forever, but will possibly add another stablemate (really lusting over a late 997.1 TT).
Old 08-22-2016, 04:11 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by GTS Sully

That's neglect right there, buddy!

I'm a weekend mostly P-car driver, but fortunately I have a relatively flexible work schedule, and can also get a lot of B.S. busy work done via cell or Wi-Fi. Hmm. Wonder if I can claim my Porsche is a home office and deduct expenses from my income taxes?
T
Old 08-22-2016, 04:38 PM
GTS Sully
Pro

Originally Posted by tomc_mets
That's neglect right there, buddy!

I'm a weekend mostly P-car driver, but fortunately I have a relatively flexible work schedule, and can also get a lot of B.S. busy work done via cell or Wi-Fi. Hmm. Wonder if I can claim my Porsche is a home office and deduct expenses from my income taxes?
T
I work from home so even my daily driving 335is only has 53K on it in the 6 years I've had it. If I'm not at home I'm at the airport traveling somewhere around the southeast.

I'll have to increase my weekend driving with the GTS cause the last thing I want is to be accused of neglect.

My previous P-Car, 1997 993 C2 was purchased in October of 1996. Sold it in August of 2006 with only 29K on it. Over the last 2-3 years of owning her I rarely drove it. Just seemed too busy with things involving my 3 young kids at the time. Sold it simply because I wasn't driving it. Not a day goes by that I don't regret that sale.
Old 08-22-2016, 05:02 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,501 Likes on 905 Posts

2009 C2S 101K miles

I think "high mileage" only applies to +100K... actually if this were a Honda or Toyota forum, I would say +150K or even +200K miles.

Today, if a car can't go 100K miles or at least get there with very little trouble, then it is crap. No excuse for a car not to hit the 100K mark.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 08-22-2016, 05:21 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,186 Likes on 757 Posts

2010 C4S with PDK ... bought September 2014 with just 35K miles.

We've put on 48K miles in just under two years of stewardship. I didn't drive it this weekend after a couple hundred miles to and from Werks Reunion on Friday. I woke up with DTs from 997 withdrawal this morning. All was fine once the garage door opened

But ... I'll have to park it for 16 days in the near future. I'm scared!!! I'm hoping that Porsche, MB, and AMG factory and Museum tours and a combination of Alps and Pyrenees passes work as a substitute.

Do I need to hire the teenager down the street to keep the car company in my absence?!?!
Attached Images  
Old 08-22-2016, 06:14 PM
mreloc
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADias View Post
I wonder if this logic still applies to the 997? Inferior seals, etc have been pretty much been solved. What is so magic about modern Porsches that makes this their rule more than any other branded car? I would imagine with timely maintenance (disregarding mileage) everything would be just fine. (says me who bought a six year old car with less than 10K miles )
Old 08-22-2016, 06:22 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
Do I need to hire the teenager down the street to keep the car company in my absence?!?!

Keep it company? As in, sing it lullabies? Sure! As in drive it? No way!
T
Old 08-22-2016, 06:42 PM
Cloudspin
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

About to turn 80k on my '09 C2S I purchased in 2012 with 48k. Great road / track car. Oil changes every 3k miles since I've had it due to tracking in Florida heat. IPD Plenum / AWE mufflers / Sharkwerks bypass / stock tune make it every bit as quick on the straights at Sebring (per Solo DL) as the GTS I bought to replace her. Did have to replace the PDK though.
Attached Images  
Old 08-22-2016, 07:47 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 394 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by mreloc
I wonder if this logic still applies to the 997? Inferior seals, etc have been pretty much been solved. What is so magic about modern Porsches that makes this their rule more than any other branded car? I would imagine with timely maintenance (disregarding mileage) everything would be just fine. (says me who bought a six year old car with less than 10K miles )
This applies to all cars, old and new, but more so to flat engines, old or new.
Old 08-22-2016, 09:34 PM
Miller_arch
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Being the third owner of a 2006 C2 and I'm about to turn 116K with no major issues with regular maintenance. The second owner drove it most of the way and took good care of it. My third 911 and it's the best I have owned so far.

Quick Reply: where are the high mileage 997?