Sponsored by:

HRE Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 10:13 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 475 Likes on 273 Posts
Default HRE Wheels

A few weeks ago I ordered a set of HRE 501 Vintage wheels for my 2010 C4S Cab.

I was just wondering since even though I got a very good deal on these they were still an "investment"....how many of you have invested in HRE Wheels and what's been your experience with them?

Thanks in advance!

Tom
Old 05-23-2012, 10:33 AM
PHX 911
Official Rennlist Snake Slayer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyV44
A few weeks ago I ordered a set of HRE 501 Vintage wheels for my 2010 C4S Cab.

I was just wondering since even though I got a very good deal on these they were still an "investment"....how many of you have invested in HRE Wheels and what's been your experience with them?

Thanks in advance!

Tom
I don't have them on my Porsche, but I put a set on C90's on a Z06 I had previous. The fronts were about 4 lbs lighter, each, and the rears 5 lbs lighter.
Most excellent wheels. I didn't recoup all of my "investment" when I sold the car, but they sure helped it sell.
How about some pics?
Old 05-23-2012, 11:17 AM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That was my experience as well with my C4s. Well worth the visual improvement, and ended up being the deal closer when I sold it, as I had removed them and had installed the lobster forks, and the buyer really wanted them as well, so we struck a deal.
The vintage series being an out of the ordinary choice, I suggest you keep the factory wheels as well. Mine were p40's so it was an easy sell.
Having said that, I think they will look great! Love that blue it is also somewhat vintage itself.
Have you considered changing the rear quarter panel stickers that protect the bulge into black ala vintage 911 as well?

Although with the HRE 501's, i am not sure I would do the centers in black, they would hide all that detail...

Anyway, just a thought.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:33 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Originally Posted by dianic
That was my experience as well with my C4s. Well worth the visual improvement, and ended up being the deal closer when I sold it, as I had removed them and had installed the lobster forks, and the buyer really wanted them as well, so we struck a deal.
The vintage series being an out of the ordinary choice, I suggest you keep the factory wheels as well. Mine were p40's so it was an easy sell.
Having said that, I think they will look great! Love that blue it is also somewhat vintage itself.
Have you considered changing the rear quarter panel stickers that protect the bulge into black ala vintage 911 as well?

Although with the HRE 501's, i am not sure I would do the centers in black, they would hide all that detail...

Anyway, just a thought.
Nick,

I did consider it but I always worry about doing too much, especially at my advanced age (64)

You think they'd look good?

By the way....I'm a fellow Greek.....my father's father was born there! I've never been though but someday I'd love to get there.

Thanks.

Tom
Old 05-23-2012, 12:37 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Originally Posted by PHX 911
I don't have them on my Porsche, but I put a set on C90's on a Z06 I had previous. The fronts were about 4 lbs lighter, each, and the rears 5 lbs lighter.
Most excellent wheels. I didn't recoup all of my "investment" when I sold the car, but they sure helped it sell.
How about some pics?
Absolutely when I get them!

Thanks.

Tom
Old 05-23-2012, 01:04 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Advance age??? C'mon Tom. Second puberty.

These vintage wheels resemble the old style BBS. They were supposed to have gold centers at the time, although I am not sure that color would suite the color of your car.

You could do the centers grey, and that would ease up on the cleaning or leave them silver like they come, but then the black accent may seem out of place...

Hey here is something that is exactly what I was describing

Old 05-23-2012, 03:22 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Nick,

I got the ones on the white car!!! They're Satin Bronze!

I like second puberty. Too bad the girls I see when I'm sitting on the beach don't look at me the way they did when I was in the "first" puberty!!

Tom
Old 05-23-2012, 03:32 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Not my cup of tea, but you seem to like em...

One word of advice for treating them as "investment"... keep your OEM wheels, then when you're selling your car, sell the HRE separatey so you can reover some of the cost, while if on your car you probably won't recover as much if any (specially as those wheels are not to everyone's liking).
Old 05-23-2012, 04:01 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Originally Posted by alexb76
Not my cup of tea, but you seem to like em...

One word of advice for treating them as "investment"... keep your OEM wheels, then when you're selling your car, sell the HRE separatey so you can reover some of the cost, while if on your car you probably won't recover as much if any (specially as those wheels are not to everyone's liking).
Alex......my snows will go on the OEM wheels! I doubt if I'll ever sell this one but I also know you can never say never!

Tom
Old 05-23-2012, 06:13 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

I would risk the black stickers if you got the satin bronze. Cut mine from a piece of 3m vynil, the cost was like $20. So zero investment. Give it a shot. Your hood is black not blue correct? Even stick em on top of the clear ones you have. Make a template with a pencil over the existing ones, its easy to trace on a newspaper, and cut the vinyl.

I like that look. And I hope you have changed those turn signals to white by now Tom..

Here is the mockup of mine, factory wheels painted black. Rear quarter black stickers going on this weekend...

Old 05-23-2012, 06:27 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Nick,

I've changed the side markers

I love your car, especially the natural brown !

When they're on post those pics.....maybe I'd consider...we'll see.

Tom
Old 05-24-2012, 12:56 AM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

These are on the way - I should have them in a couple of weeks... I'm usually a BBS guy, but these are so gorgeous.

On an R8 - same color/style as what I ordered:

Old 05-24-2012, 06:42 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Chris, those are beautiful....Congratulations! I should have mine in 2 weeks too!

Tom
Old 05-24-2012, 09:48 AM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Can't wait to see them Tom!! We'll have to keep posting them here...
Old 05-24-2012, 12:59 PM
LonHRE
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats to both of you on the purchase.

Feel free to contact me directly with any questions.

LonM@hrewheels.com

Quick Reply: HRE Wheels