Sponsored by:

911 (997.2 GTS) Wheel Setup

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2022, 04:51 AM
GTSpure
Racer

Received 109 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Patangatan
I'm looking to get some recommendations regarding wheel setup for my 911 GTS (PCCB and Porsche Sport Suspension -20mm), I have two questions:

Question #1: Has anyone tried spacers on the GTS, I'm thinking 5-7mm spacers in front and 7-15mm spacers in the rear; will it improve track performance? Any down sides? Considering CL wheels, it's not like I can simply get longer wheel lugs; what needs to change to be able to accommodate spacers?

Current spyder wheels: Cast alloy 8.5J x 19 ET 56 front, 11J x 19 ET 51 rear (235x19x35 and 305x19x30).

Question #2: In the long term I'm looking into putting on OZ Challenge HTL CL wheels 18x9 ET47 and 18x12 ET48. The issue I see is that the front will provide 3mm more inner clearance and extend an extra 15mm. Rear will provide 10mm less inner clearance and extend an extra 16mm; do you think this would be a problem (fenders)? I would put in Toyo Proxes R888 245x40ZR18 (or 255/35ZR18) and 335x30ZR18. Or, is it better to stay with 8.5 front and 11 rear? These would essentially only extend 3mm front and rear.

RSS LCA's and rear toe links would follow; maybe also sway bars?

Note that the GTS is wide body.

Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks!
Hi

I have OZ Challenge HTL CL wheels 18 for track. Stunning and lightweight rims.
The appropriate dimensions for the GTS are:

F

ET53 8.5J X18

Tires 245/40/18 Toyo R888R

R

ET45 11J X18

Tires 305/35/18 Toyo R888R

I hope I've been helpful

Old 02-27-2022, 07:02 AM
Liste-Renn
Rennlist Member

Received 1,360 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by eddieb4
Thanks for the photos.
I can see the 235/30/19 size on one of the rear tires.
What is the tire size for the fronts?
Also, any comments on handling differences between stock and the wider rubber?
More stable due to wider track?
I think the fronts looks fine to me as far as offset but I think the TeckArt springs may be 5 mm lower than SPASM but I'm not 100% sure. If they are, I hope it doesn't rub.
Thanks!
My tires on the 9 X 19 are 245/35/19 (MPS4S).
The 12 X 19 are 325/30/19.

Handling difference?
Well...I installed a TPC DSC PASM controller at the same time as mounting the OZ wheels and MPS4S, so my PASM changed and my tires changed.
Hard to ascribe the improved handling to just the wider rims and tires- but it is pretty (not dramatically) different.

The previous setup was no slouch: OEM Fuch forged RS Spyders, 8.5 & 11 X 19 with 235/35 and 305/30 MP Super Sport tires.
Bigger contact patches with a 1" wider front and 2" rear wider rear track does feel like a sweet spot to me.

I drive my car hard, on some of the best lightly traveled roads in the US. I am able to pretty much go as fast as my courage and limited ability can take me.
I don't seek particularly high speeds on public roads, but rather tighter 2nd gear curves mixed with 3rd gear higher speed sweepers.

The turn in has definitely improved, with better "bite" as the front loads up under trail braking.
I seem to need less braking to prevent or recover from understeer on low speed large radius curves.
So my entry speed for a given corner is a bit higher, generating more lateral G's through the apex and minimal oversteer if throttle is added too early- or worse, if I unintentionally/erroneously lift on a decreasing radius turn.

That all equals more confidence and fun.

The car's limits remain far beyond my own- which is good. When I max perform on a drive, it is I who reach them, never the car.
I run out of driver long before I run out of car!

The ride is far better, as well- but I credit the DSC box for that. Best $1000 I ever spent on the GTS.

By far the best improvement is the looks- curing the crappy offsets of the OEM wheels was the original goal, everything else is gravy.
And the 325s do look pretty badass from behind, if I say so myself:

Last edited by Liste-Renn; 02-27-2022 at 07:08 AM.
Old 02-27-2022, 07:46 AM
Zimbalo
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts

This one also does look pretty badass (997.1 4S with standard tires + wheel spacers)

​​​​​​Attachment 1337860
The following users liked this post:
Liste-Renn (03-06-2022)
Old 02-27-2022, 11:27 AM
eddieb4
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 118 Posts

Thanks ... I transposed the 2 and the 3! I appreciate the feedback!

Originally Posted by sandwedge
You're misreading the tire size. The size you quote for the rears is closer to the fronts. My -11 GTS has 19/9 wheels with 235/35 tires up front. Rears are 19/12 with 305/30 tires. The wheels are wider than stock but I believe the tire sizes are the same as delivered from the factory when they were built. Since Liste-Renn has posted a picture of my car I should note that the car had Eibach springs when the picture was taken. It now sits on H&R springs which dropped it another 1/4".

Offsets are 50 up front and 46 on the rears. The front offset is perfect for me but I think the rears could stand another 2 or maybe 3mm further out. But I'm nit picking now. For all practical purposes all four wheels look flush with the fenders when you take a general look at the car. No rubbing even with the wider wheels and lower springs. There's a lot of room in those wheel wells, especially the rear ones.

Don't have great pictures of what you're asking about but have attached what I have.

Old 03-06-2022, 06:29 PM
Liste-Renn
Rennlist Member

Received 1,360 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by Zimbalo
This one also does look pretty badass (997.1 4S with standard tires + wheel spacers)

​​​​​​
I like it.
The **** seems to shrink/grow depending on the camera angle, right?

Sometimes it looks photo-shopped...

Seldom seen view someone posted of their traffic ticket picture taken on the Golden Gate Bridge:

Last edited by Liste-Renn; 03-06-2022 at 06:39 PM.
maekwl (03-06-2022)
Old 03-07-2022, 03:22 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 736 Posts

Originally Posted by Liste-Renn
I like it.
The **** seems to shrink/grow depending on the camera angle, right?
That's my impression too. A little off left or right and as you say the **** shrinks. The perfect shot is obviously dead center from behind. Easier said than done. I've found that the rear view mirrors provide a good reference point. On .2 cars, if that little gap between the mirror and the car is the same on both sides then you're dead center behind the car. Move ever so slightly left or right and that mirror gap will shrink on either side and the resulting picture will be distorted.

I don't have a good **** picture of my GTS but I've attached one of my long gone -06 C4S. Different rear view mirrors but note that the small section of the mirrors obscured by the body of the car is almost exactly the same on both sides. I say almost because anyone with even partial OCD impulses will see that the left side of the rear looks just a tad wider than the right. Which corresponds with the mirror formula. A tiny bit more of the left mirror is un-obscured compared to the right one which led to a a slightly less than a 100% dead center shot. Doesn't take much.

Last edited by sandwedge; 03-07-2022 at 03:31 AM.
Liste-Renn (03-07-2022)
Old 03-07-2022, 03:53 AM
Zimbalo
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts

@ Liste-Renn @ sandwedge

​​​​​​I agree with both of them. Even the different 997.2 lights shrink the **** in my opinion.

Last edited by Zimbalo; 03-07-2022 at 07:20 AM.
Old 03-07-2022, 01:16 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Received 1,105 Likes on 414 Posts

Porsche OCD at its best!! I love it, Jonas! Your eye is better than mine. See if you can spot how off center my *** shot is. No mirrors for reference, however. Back on topic: OP, having CLs limits your options for wheels but one option is to get a custom set made with the GT2 offsets used by Liste-Renn and others or spec them any way you want. I am in the process of getting a set made by Augment Wheels with GT2 wheel specs. They are a Canadian company and price is about $4200 USD. My car has 5-lugs and I have more options to choose from but for the price, I get the exact wheels I want including color and finish. Check them out. Dan does good work, although communication is not his strong suit.

Originally Posted by sandwedge
That's my impression too. A little off left or right and as you say the **** shrinks. The perfect shot is obviously dead center from behind. Easier said than done. I've found that the rear view mirrors provide a good reference point. On .2 cars, if that little gap between the mirror and the car is the same on both sides then you're dead center behind the car. Move ever so slightly left or right and that mirror gap will shrink on either side and the resulting picture will be distorted.

I don't have a good **** picture of my GTS but I've attached one of my long gone -06 C4S. Different rear view mirrors but note that the small section of the mirrors obscured by the body of the car is almost exactly the same on both sides. I say almost because anyone with even partial OCD impulses will see that the left side of the rear looks just a tad wider than the right. Which corresponds with the mirror formula. A tiny bit more of the left mirror is un-obscured compared to the right one which led to a a slightly less than a 100% dead center shot. Doesn't take much.

Old 03-07-2022, 07:10 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 474 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by Liste-Renn
My tires on the 9 X 19 are 245/35/19 (MPS4S).
The 12 X 19 are 325/30/19.

Handling difference?
Well...I installed a TPC DSC PASM controller at the same time as mounting the OZ wheels and MPS4S, so my PASM changed and my tires changed.
Hard to ascribe the improved handling to just the wider rims and tires- but it is pretty (not dramatically) different.

The previous setup was no slouch: OEM Fuch forged RS Spyders, 8.5 & 11 X 19 with 235/35 and 305/30 MP Super Sport tires.
Bigger contact patches with a 1" wider front and 2" rear wider rear track does feel like a sweet spot to me.

I drive my car hard, on some of the best lightly traveled roads in the US. I am able to pretty much go as fast as my courage and limited ability can take me.
I don't seek particularly high speeds on public roads, but rather tighter 2nd gear curves mixed with 3rd gear higher speed sweepers.

The turn in has definitely improved, with better "bite" as the front loads up under trail braking.
I seem to need less braking to prevent or recover from understeer on low speed large radius curves.
So my entry speed for a given corner is a bit higher, generating more lateral G's through the apex and minimal oversteer if throttle is added too early- or worse, if I unintentionally/erroneously lift on a decreasing radius turn.

That all equals more confidence and fun.

The car's limits remain far beyond my own- which is good. When I max perform on a drive, it is I who reach them, never the car.
I run out of driver long before I run out of car!

The ride is far better, as well- but I credit the DSC box for that. Best $1000 I ever spent on the GTS.

By far the best improvement is the looks- curing the crappy offsets of the OEM wheels was the original goal, everything else is gravy.
And the 325s do look pretty badass from behind, if I say so myself:

I have the same tire set up and while you probably drive the car harder than i do....nothing compares to looking at those 325s from the rear!

Liste-Renn (03-08-2022)
Old 03-08-2022, 04:37 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 736 Posts

Originally Posted by Busta Rib
Porsche OCD at its best!! I love it, Jonas! Your eye is better than mine. See if you can spot how off center my *** shot is. No mirrors for reference, however.

Hi Busta. Different angle from down lower but I think you pretty much nailed it. That being said by someone who thought he was micro or at worst partially OCD but it may be worse than that .

Quick Reply: 911 (997.2 GTS) Wheel Setup