Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is PSE repairable?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 01:36 PM
MagnusB
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the same issue and have been hunting it for proof for a long time. Drives me nuts!

Two things making unwanted sound is:
1) The heat shields. Take off the rear bumper, add extra bolts to fasten them to each other and bend to make sure they are not vibrating against each other or other parts.
2) The metal braided hoses for the air sensors. Use stripes to move them so they don't vibrate against exhaust parts (mufflers).

Fixing these items certainly removed a lot of rattle but it's not the main cause. Can't say I'm impressed by Porsches design in this case.

At the end of the day I suspect the cats. But they are not showing any indication of being broken.
Nothing showing with a Durametric.
Will the dealer replace even if it's just a bad sound?
Old 05-26-2012, 02:10 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 851 Likes on 467 Posts

Always an alternative is a nice aftermarket exhaust. Tubi sounds great and there are tons of others out there. I have a set of AWE's on order and in production and will be my Father's day present to myself. Just a thought...
Old 05-29-2012, 08:22 AM
Frino
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fc2s
PSE is making a rattling sound at low end of rpm's.
I've been told that it can either be loose baffles or the on/off flap on the muffler itself that is causing this rattle.
Does anyone know if a PSE with either of the aboave can be repaired?
Just had my PSE replaced. Had the same rattle/buzz noise that you described. Thought it was a loose heat shield but the dealer said the exhaust was toast.

P-Dealer tech said the whatever was rattling inside the exhaust (cracked resonator?) could techncally be repaired/welded but the odds of success were not great.

Tech told me that both welds holding the exhaust tips in place were also cracked.

My extended warranty covered the repair (phew!), which ended up costing $3,200. Parts were $2,100.

New exhaust sounds great and the on/off switch seems to work much better than new. Briefly considered going aftermarket but decided in favor of keeping PSE because of how it looks and sounds.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:58 AM
FiatCoupe
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know it's not a PSE but I just had my Tubi repaired for the 2nd time. I bought it used and it had cracks around where the exit pipe (the top pipe which goes to the exhaust tip) connects to the back face of the silencer. These were welded at a local place for a bargin $30 before I fitted it.

A year later I started hearing noises from the back of the car. It was okay when cold but when hot at about 1500 rpm or on lift off I heard a metallic rattle. It was like a lose washer or metal plate vibrating. I had a close look at the silencers and the same silencer had various cracks on the flat surface of the rear of the silencer around the same area. The orignal repair was still good. Went back to same place and $35 later the cracks were welded shut. Car sounds fantastic once again.

John
Old 06-01-2012, 12:05 AM
fc2s
Advanced

Originally Posted by Frino
Just had my PSE replaced. Had the same rattle/buzz noise that you described. Thought it was a loose heat shield but the dealer said the exhaust was toast.

P-Dealer tech said the whatever was rattling inside the exhaust (cracked resonator?) could techncally be repaired/welded but the odds of success were not great.

Tech told me that both welds holding the exhaust tips in place were also cracked.

My extended warranty covered the repair (phew!), which ended up costing $3,200. Parts were $2,100.

New exhaust sounds great and the on/off switch seems to work much better than new. Briefly considered going aftermarket but decided in favor of keeping PSE because of how it looks and sounds.
I was given the same advise by my indie, most likely loose baffles, and had the option to pay for the attempt to repair them, but at $114/hr it would have been an expensive experiment.
I wasn't so lucky and had to pay out of pocket for my solution, so I went with an aftermarket exhaust and while it's not as aggressive as the PSE in the in position, I'm generally happy with the sound in the higher rpms and the bonus is I shed some significant weight vs the PSE.

I still have my PSE mufflers and I may still attempt to get them repaired.....
Old 06-01-2012, 08:32 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 149 Posts

Jason J: I have a drivers side rattle....we can split a pair!
Old 06-01-2012, 10:23 PM
Jason Judd
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool...togetherness!
Old 06-07-2012, 10:34 PM
Renzsport
Instructor

fyi
I've been experiencing the same annoying sounds finally sourced to my pse mufflers. Finally spoke with the tech about it and apparently there are metal 'straps' on the outside of the mufflers that break. He said it's a poor design by Porsche. He attempted to fix it by welding some of them but felt this wasn't time well spent. The real fix would be to make new 'straps'.
I wish I could've been there to see what exactly he means. After him fixing a few of the breaks there was a definite decrease in noise.
Old 06-08-2012, 06:44 PM
fc2s
Advanced

Originally Posted by Renzsport
fyi
I've been experiencing the same annoying sounds finally sourced to my pse mufflers. Finally spoke with the tech about it and apparently there are metal 'straps' on the outside of the mufflers that break. He said it's a poor design by Porsche. He attempted to fix it by welding some of them but felt this wasn't time well spent. The real fix would be to make new 'straps'.
I wish I could've been there to see what exactly he means. After him fixing a few of the breaks there was a definite decrease in noise.
That's what my tech initially suspected as well, but after taking the cans down, doing a few welds and replacing the tips, he suggested that I replace them because the ongoing troubleshooting and ultimate repair could get costly.

You may also want to consider giving Darin at www.fdmotorsports.net a call. Apparently he has repaired quite a few PSE mufflers and he charges a reasonable $80 per muffler, plus shipping.
Old 06-09-2012, 12:03 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

Several years my PSE exhaust was rattling when cool and discovered cracks in some of the straps welded on the outside of the exhaust boxes. Luckily for me my dealership replaced both sides while under warranty. PSE can be taken apart and repaired and then re-welded together, but you better find a good shop. Do a search herein on Rennlist and you'll find my discussion about my weld cracks on my PSE.
Old 06-09-2012, 12:58 PM
cairo94507
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 74 Posts

CA has some additional song component related warranty requirements:
California Emissions Warranty
California naturally has stricter emissions standards than the Federal Government. Because of these stricter standards, California has its own coverage for 7 years or 70,000 miles. This emissions warranty is an addition to the Federal Emissions Warranty and the Federal Emissions Warranty takes precedents over the California Emissions Warranty. The California Emissions Warranty covers a lot more parts that are not covered under the Federal Emissions Warranty for 8/80.

There are also certain vehicle models that may have parts covered under the Federal Emissions Warranty that go above and beyond the normal parts coverage for 8/80. Hybrid vehicles as an example have certain components that are covered for an even greater period than 8/80.

The next time a vehicle is brought in for repairs after the vehicles factory warranty expires, don’t always assume that the repairs aren’t covered under warranty. There are other repairs after the factory warranty expires that may be covered. If a yellow check engine light comes on or the vehicle won’t pass a smog test, it may be beneficial to check with the dealership to see if the repairs are covered under emissions warranty.

Read more at Suite101: Car and Truck US Federal Emissions Warranty: Emissions Parts Coverage, Smog Check, Mileage and Time Limits | Suite101.com http://suite101.com/article/car-and-...#ixzz1xJQDNnfK
Old 06-09-2012, 03:09 PM
Renzsport
Instructor

thanks guys

Quick Reply: Is PSE repairable?