Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overrev Report

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012 | 02:34 PM
fast1
Race Car

Default Overrev Report

I saw a 997S on a Dealer's web page that looked promising. It was reasonably priced, so I asked that they email me an overrev report. About an hour later I get the report with the six ranges listed, but no ignitions against the ranges. The printout listed Range 1 - 48; Range 2- 3; and Ranges 3 to 6 had 1 by each Range. Adjacent to the range there was an hour listing. In longhand on the report someone wrote 50 over redline against some ranges and 100 over on others.

Has anyone seen a report formatted like this? The reports I've seen have the number of ignitions listed on the printout. I can only speculate that the number by the range would indicate the number of occurrences. If I'm correct this car had a hit in Ranges 4-6 at 96H. I didn't think that a car would be CPOed when it had hits in Ranges 4 and above. Maybe they don't do an overrev report before they CPO the car.
Old 04-25-2012 | 06:39 PM
fast1
Race Car

Hasn't anyone seen an overrev report?
Old 04-25-2012 | 06:43 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Yes

A value of 1 is insignificant and most probably a glitch.
Writing by hand is unusual.

https://rennlist.com/forums/8988377-post20.html
Old 04-25-2012 | 07:06 PM
acadian_dad
Rennlist Member

Any possibility the "50 over" and "100 over" hand written comments are referring to the operating hours since last occurence ? What were the hours listed beside each range and the total operating hour on the report ? (the general consensus has been if the last occurence of an overrev was more than 50 operating hours ago and no CEL's then things are PROBABLY ok - YMMV)

You said that report had "no ignitions against the ranges" - but my interpretation from your post would be that 48, 3 and 1, 1, 1, 1 ... were the ignition counts in each range (the 1's being bogus) - if you want to know the corresponding RPM span for each range, 911SLOW has exhaustively documented that info for multiple models - follow his link.

FWIW - it sounds like a reasonably clean DME report to me - my previous car was bought on CPO and had considerably higher numbers - there's lots of rhetoric and opinions on this stuff tho' - its almost religion.
Old 04-25-2012 | 07:52 PM
fast1
Race Car

Originally Posted by acadian_dad
Any possibility the "50 over" and "100 over" hand written comments are referring to the operating hours since last occurence ? What were the hours listed beside each range and the total operating hour on the report ? (the general consensus has been if the last occurence of an overrev was more than 50 operating hours ago and no CEL's then things are PROBABLY ok - YMMV)

You said that report had "no ignitions against the ranges" - but my interpretation from your post would be that 48, 3 and 1, 1, 1, 1 ... were the ignition counts in each range (the 1's being bogus) - if you want to know the corresponding RPM span for each range, 911SLOW has exhaustively documented that info for multiple models - follow his link.

FWIW - it sounds like a reasonably clean DME report to me - my previous car was bought on CPO and had considerably higher numbers - there's lots of rhetoric and opinions on this stuff tho' - its almost religion.
I can't believe that the numbers represent ignitions. I've had an overrev report run on a new 997S with less than 150 miles on the odometer, and the report listed around 800 in range 1 and a couple hundred less in range 2 with nothing higher. Even if you only bumped up against the rev limiter one time, it's likely that you would have at least 75 at those high rpms. Unless the 997S was driven by an 80 year old grandma, it's hard to believe that any 997S would only have 48 in range 1 with over 23K miles on the odometer. The 50 and 100 written by hand state revs over redline.

Bottom line is I think they gave me garbage.
Old 04-25-2012 | 08:25 PM
acadian_dad
Rennlist Member

Maybe they did give you something questionable - but there are plenty of cars out there with all 0's. The bogus 1's in multiple ranges is a known issue.

The bumping into the rev limiter argument is controversial on the forums but I think it's likely that it does happen. But even so it's hard to say what a reasonable count is for a single event. 800 after 150 miles suggests to me some pretty aggressive driving.

Cheers
Old 04-25-2012 | 08:57 PM
fast1
Race Car

Originally Posted by acadian_dad
Maybe they did give you something questionable - but there are plenty of cars out there with all 0's. The bogus 1's in multiple ranges is a known issue.

The bumping into the rev limiter argument is controversial on the forums but I think it's likely that it does happen. But even so it's hard to say what a reasonable count is for a single event. 800 after 150 miles suggests to me some pretty aggressive driving.

Cheers
Actually it's probably not that unusual for a Porsche demo. About 15 years ago my son worked as a lot boy during the summer at a local Porsche dealership. Based on how Porsche demos were abused by some drivers, I decided that I would never buy a demo. On the other hand I exchanged emails from one of the writers at Excellence, and his advice was not to be at all concerned about overrevs in ranges 1-3.

Quick Reply: Overrev Report