Sponsored by:

Oil Cap and CEL????

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 05:07 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Oil Cap and CEL????

I am asking over here, because there is more activity than the 987 Forum.

Long story short, made a bonehead move and did not properly fasten my oil cap on the Boxster the other day after an oil change. Probably drove over 300 miles like that.

No issues. No oily mess. No smoke. Nothing. But I did get a CEL (not blinking)? I don't know the code yet. Never had a CEL before (45,000 miles).

Is this related? Will the CEL clear itself now that the cap is properly tightened? Or do I need a trip back to the indy shop to make the light go away?

Thanks!
Old 10-05-2011, 05:35 PM
ajayabb
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I have never heard of a loose oil cap throwing a CEL. Probably won't clear unless maybe the gas cap is loose as well. If you have access to an OBD 2 reader or a nearby Autozone, run the codes and check back. Dealer may charge you unless you have a good relationship with them
Old 10-05-2011, 05:39 PM
Mister C
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I did the same thing on my BMW and it threw a CEL. Lacking the tool to clear it I had to take it to the dealer. Fortunately, they didn't charge me for clearing the code.

I am guessing that a P car would behave the same.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:07 AM
function12
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

You can try and see if disconecting the battery will clear it. Just pull the positive side for a few minutes.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:23 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
I am asking over here, because there is more activity than the 987 Forum.

Long story short, made a bonehead move and did not properly fasten my oil cap on the Boxster the other day after an oil change. Probably drove over 300 miles like that.

No issues. No oily mess. No smoke. Nothing. But I did get a CEL (not blinking)? I don't know the code yet. Never had a CEL before (45,000 miles).

Is this related? Will the CEL clear itself now that the cap is properly tightened? Or do I need a trip back to the indy shop to make the light go away?

Thanks!

Probably. The absent oil cap represents an large intake air leak at idle or low engine rpms. Less of one at higher rpms.

Might add here that I have forgotten to put the oil cap on at least twice (sigh) after servicing my Boxster. I was clued in by an odd honking/howling noise and never drove 300 miles.

It would be nice though to know what the error code is. It might be due to the cap being left off but it might be due to something else.

Now would be a good time for you to invest in a good OBD2 code reader/data viewer/logger. I do not like erasing the code by the battery disconnet method. I always want to know the code(s) before I clear them.

But if the check engine light is on due to the cap being off over time, after enough engine starts and *warmups* the DME will dismiss the error code and extinquish the light.

You can choose to drive the car but I have to point out that if at any time the engine starts acting up, the light starts blinking, shut off the engine pronto. The very likely thing is the light was not due to the oil cap or something else has happened that needs immediate attention by a qualified professional mechanic.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:29 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Thanks everyone. I'll have the code read and reset by my indy on Saturday morning. She goes into winter hibernation in about 3 weeks.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:23 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

I am happy to report, that after <50 miles and a few re-starts, the CEL cleared. I am 99.99% certain it was the oil cap being off. I'll have the stored code read next year when I do year-end maintenance again in September. Thanks again.
Old 10-08-2011, 12:47 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
I am happy to report, that after <50 miles and a few re-starts, the CEL cleared. I am 99.99% certain it was the oil cap being off. I'll have the stored code read next year when I do year-end maintenance again in September. Thanks again.
If the check engine light went off after so few miles and engine starts/warm ups the odds are the cap was the cause.

If the check engine light is off though the code(s) is (are) no longer there for the reading.

The order is if the check engine light comes on: read the codes/freeze frame data and write these down; clear the codes *if*that is deemed the right action to take.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 10-08-2011, 02:28 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Originally Posted by Macster
If the check engine light is off though the code(s) is (are) no longer there for the reading.
Macster, I disagree. I think the code will be stored. For example, the 993 stores the code, after the CEL clears and turns off.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:35 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

I am resurrecting this old post from last Fall.

After 6 months of winter hibernation, I took the Boxster to the emissions testing facility (passed with flying colors) yesterday, so I could get my license plate sticker reissued.

Sure enough, on my report, it showed 2 stored codes:

P2187
P2189

I'm 99.99% certain these are related to the oil cap issue from last year. Can anyone verify these codes for me? Thanks!
Old 04-25-2012, 08:51 PM
ajayabb
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

P2187 Oxygen Sensing Adaptation, Idle Range, Bank 1 (RKAT1) - Above Limit
P2189 Oxygen Sensing Adaptation, Idle Range, Bank 2 (RKAT2) - Above Limit

Possible fault cause
- Incorrect main charge signal
- Intake air system leaking
- Fuel pressure too low
- Volume supply of fuel pump too low
- Mechanical fault in injection valves
- PCV valve leaks
- Cap of oil filler neck leaking
- Leaks in exhaust system
- EVAP canister purge valve mechanically faulty (hangs open)
- EVAP canister purge valve output stage faults

I think the oil cap leak could explain this
Old 04-25-2012, 09:13 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

^Thanks, A.J.

Quick Reply: Oil Cap and CEL????