Sponsored by:

HELP! Type 2 Over Revs Make Me Very Leery About My Dream 996tt

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 07:41 PM
NineElevenLover
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Type 2 Over Revs Make Me Very Leery About My Dream 996tt

I was ready to pull the trigger on this car and go pick it up tomorrow. It's a 2003 with only 9700 miles.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...5&aff=national

The appointment had been set and it was essentially a done deal, pending a diagnostic check at a local Porsche dealership to pull the codes from the ECU to see if it had ever been moneyshifted. The results were quite unsettling....

Type 1 - 7830
Type 2 - 364

The tech who did the diagnostic inspection at the local dealership was telling me that it was no big deal. I called a couple local ones, however, that seemed to think it was rather significant. One, in particular, I called and spoke to the service manager. He seemed to think it was alright and I should go ahead with the purchase, but then he decided to put me on hold and speak with one of his techs/mechanics who was more familiar with the over rev codes. When he came back, he essentially said "I'm glad I went to ask my tech, because he seems to think it's a very high number and you're taking a big risk." That did not sit well with me at all. *sigh* I guess I'm no longer interested. So disappointing.

I'm planning on modifying this quite heavily, so I must have a rock solid foundation from which to start. I moneyshifted a car of mine back in the day at the dragstrip, with no immediate resultant problems. About a year later, however, the engine had an absolutely catastrophic failure. I can only assume that it was caused, for the most part, by the moneyshift, as a rod bent and subsequently exploded almost the entire bottom end.

What do you all think?
Old 02-16-2011, 07:45 PM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

from what I head type 2 are fine, no guys ?

I think there are type 3 and 4 and 5 and only 4 and 5 are real over-rev...but I might be mistaken.

wait for confirmation or ..make a search
Old 02-16-2011, 07:51 PM
NineElevenLover
Intermediate

Originally Posted by philooo
from what I head type 2 are fine, no guys ?

I think there are type 3 and 4 and 5 and only 4 and 5 are real over-rev...but I might be mistaken.

wait for confirmation or ..make a search
No no, that's on a 997. On a 996, it's just type 1 (hitting the rev limiter) or type 2 (moneyshift).
Old 02-16-2011, 07:54 PM
Michael-Dallas
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

364 type-2 ignitions would not be a big deal for me.

There are 3 ignitions per crankshaft revolution. The Turbo has a 6600rpm redline, which equates to 110 revolutions/second or 330 ignitions/second. It sounds like this car has been past redline for about a second. And you don't know what rev range past redline since type-2 is any number over redline. So it could have simply been that the ECU could not keep up w/ the laws of physics when the engine bounced off the rev limiter.

FWIW, upgraded ECU flashes will increase the rev limiter to 7k rpm.

Anyway, if you don't have warm fuzzies regardless of forum opinion, then just pass on it. Best to own an auto that you feel 100% confident and happy w/ then to have this linger over you.

Michael.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:13 PM
red911c2
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did they give you the total hours on the car and the hour when the overrev's happened? If they happened years ago, I would feel better about it. If they just happened, you may have some damage that hasn't popped up yet. Good luck!
Old 02-16-2011, 08:17 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

FYI Chipped/ECU Tuned Cars its counts as a "Over Rev" eveytime you go over the Factory Limit rev limit... ECU Tune is usually 200-400 RPM more than Factory...

im preety sure thats where Michael-Dallas is going aswell
Old 02-16-2011, 08:25 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

thats a nice turbo... however, at that price you should buy something that you will be happy with... without a nagging thought thats gonna eat at you. Thats prime $$$ for a turbo.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:04 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

What are the total hours?
What hour did the Type 2 take place?

With that said, those type 2's are nothing. I'd be concerned if there was 3640 not 364.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:22 AM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 285 Posts

That would be a non-issue for me. That number is insignificant.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:57 AM
nick49
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Talk with one of the head techs at a large P dealer and ask his thoughts, also ask at what point, # of and type revs, would exclude attaining CPO status. You may ask at P car race shop as well as they build motors and work with altered DME/CPUs.
Old 02-17-2011, 02:55 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael-Dallas
364 type-2 ignitions would not be a big deal for me.

There are 3 ignitions per crankshaft revolution. The Turbo has a 6600rpm redline, which equates to 110 revolutions/second or 330 ignitions/second. It sounds like this car has been past redline for about a second. And you don't know what rev range past redline since type-2 is any number over redline. So it could have simply been that the ECU could not keep up w/ the laws of physics when the engine bounced off the rev limiter.

FWIW, upgraded ECU flashes will increase the rev limiter to 7k rpm.

Anyway, if you don't have warm fuzzies regardless of forum opinion, then just pass on it. Best to own an auto that you feel 100% confident and happy w/ then to have this linger over you.

Michael.
The Ecu can keep up just fine or the engine would not run at higher rpms. The Ecu is responsible for determining when and for how long it opens the injector for each cylinder and when to trigger the spark. It also performs real time measurements/calculations looking for misfires.

Porsche for these cars only has two ranges. Rev limiter hit and over rev limiter.

Chances are if the overrevs did any damage the car would exhibit some symptoms from this unless the overrevs maybe happened on a test drive the day before the overrevs were read out.

It would be nice to know what the run time was at the time of the overrevs to know how long ago (or not) they occurred.

Still, I'd be leery of the car that had any range 2 overrevs.

There's a reason Porsche deemed them important enough to record them.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:25 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

So... can a range 2 event be recorded for anything but an overrev on a downshift? It would seem that any acceleration related event would be cut off by the rev limiter.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:27 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Yes. A type two can be recorded (that I know of to date) two ways as well other than a downshift (mechanical over-rev). #1 is when the car has been tuned and the tuner built a higher rev limiter into the flash program. #2 an anomaly where a type 2 (extremely low number) is recorded but no such event took place. Just a glitch and usually in the <100 range.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:16 PM
Michael-Dallas
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
The Ecu can keep up just fine or the engine would not run at higher rpms. The Ecu is responsible for determining when and for how long it opens the injector for each cylinder and when to trigger the spark. It also performs real time measurements/calculations looking for misfires.
Taken from the another forum:

Originally Posted by john rice
Gents,
It is obvious that most everyone here is, like I had been, wondering what a Type 1 and a Type 2 REALLY is. I have read a lot of "facts" and "definitive" information but nothing that ever seemed to hold up.

SO, I sent some emails and did some asking.. from EXPERTS, not wanna-be-experts like me. A couple of them are board sponsors [thanks again].

Everyone I contacted 100% stated the following specifications:

Type 1 = hitting the stock 6750rpm limiter.

Type 2 = ANYTHING over that 6750 rpm limit.

It's that simple.

Therefore, 6751rpm will equal a Type 2 just as well as 7800rpm! It would be nice if there were more rpm points like with the 997s, but there are not. So, that is IT. Live with it.

[One point of confusion might be that Porsche finally has published info on revs regarding the 997 cars. They measure quite a few rpm points but this isn't about the 997s.....]

BTW, for those who claim it is impossible to blow a Type 2 without missing a shift or hitting the wrong gear, this is simply untrue. Come visit me and I will plug in my Durametric and place my $1,000 in cash next to your $1000 in cash and take you for a 5 minute ride and demonstrate how easy it is for me to collect a Type 2, as well as your $1000 cash. [I gotta make up for the depreciation this will cause, right?]

I will admit that it is perhaps not quite as easy with an awd tt, but in a GT2 it is quite easy to get quick wheel spin in the lower gears and another Type 2.

I am 100% confident in this Type 1/2 statement. Too many experts, including the Durametric techs, have stated that this is the standard. I hope it clears up the confusion. Hopefully my ..baiting.. statement about what causing Type 2s won't interfere with the main message [but I just couldn't resist].

Godspeed all
[and please think of this simply in terms of the old time farewell motorists used to extend to each other when setting out in much more adventurous automotive times.]
JR
The thread is old, but john rice appears to be in your area (norcal). Perhaps you should take him up on his bet if he still owns a 996 Turbo?

There's a reason Porsche deemed them important enough to record them.
And there's a reason why the 997/987 and above have more than 2 types of ignition ranges.

Michael.
Old 10-30-2011, 07:43 PM
Angelus
Instructor

So how many type 2's are too many? From the statements above I understand a mapped car can gather them more easily, but at what point do you say, "sorry the cars not for me"? What is the consequence of too many type 2's?

Quick Reply: HELP! Type 2 Over Revs Make Me Very Leery About My Dream 996tt