Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Peeling climate control buttons - a new solution ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 11:12 AM
bommerts
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gundo
Thanks guys - good to know. May go DIY...
It's the least we can do after your legendary help with the DIY exhaust improvements.
Old 06-13-2019, 01:35 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 444 Likes on 161 Posts

I originally hade mine stripped and resprayed black (without the white stencil. However it was well worth the $150 to just buy new ones from MAcarbon...
Old 06-23-2019, 06:49 PM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Received 747 Likes on 403 Posts

FWIW, I don’t know what this company did in the past cause I only got my car in Feb, but I bought their Temp and Fan levers and they came out great. Pics below, and they look pretty darned good to me. No affiliation. Just a happy customer. Hope they last though, but the look pretty solid.

Before:

Climarepair:

Swapping them in:

Finished product. I used the Rennlist discount code, so got em for $120.
They’re backlit at night too...

Last edited by Carreralicious; 06-24-2019 at 07:18 AM.
Old 12-29-2019, 12:49 PM
carlucci9
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing / Refacing Switches

Originally Posted by alpine-al
Testors flat black model paint and a fine brush did the trick for me.

http://www.testors.com/products/136840
Thanks for the tip @alpine-al, I purchased some 'stickers' to cover my worn switches but think I'll try your paint solutions first. Cheers!
Old 01-19-2020, 02:00 PM
maxw
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 42 Posts

Sharing my experience - I decided to go with StickyNoMore.com. I've seen their name out there for a long time as a trusted source that did quality work, and their price point was a material discount over MAcarbon's current pricing that was recommended here (contact StickyNoMore.com for pricing as may be running specials at different times). I would not entertain Climarepair regardless of their current quality given their history.

Very pleased with how it came out. I removed the buttons and sent them in, and they were back in my hands within a week (couldn't believe how quick).

The BEFORE and AFTER:

One lesson to learn here if you decide to remove these yourself as I did - if you look at the before photo...TEMP button on the top...when I removed...the top of the button scraped against the silver part of the frame smearing the sticky stuff on the inside (and I didn't notice). When I put in the new buttons, the old sticky stuff smeared on my new button - so had to spend some time cleaning that off the new buttons (certainly irritated I did this). But it cleaned off no problem with some patience. It's amazing how the paint just totally disintegrated on these buttons (mine a 2005).

Totally worth getting this done!
Old 01-20-2020, 11:53 AM
Sporty
Rennlist Member

Received 441 Likes on 283 Posts

Looks good. are they stickers or paint "TEMP" and "FAN" and do they light up?
Old 01-20-2020, 12:35 PM
maxw
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sporty
Looks good. are they stickers or paint "TEMP" and "FAN" and do they light up?
The TEMP and Fan logo are stickers, I tested and they do back light. I was a little concerned about them being stickers, but it goes full with across the top section of the button - which may be a good idea as odds of it peeling up on corners are likely minimized with this approach. If you zoom in in the photo I posted which is decent resolution/quality...you should be able to see the sticker edges. From eye level sitting in the car, you can't tell it's a sticker at all.
Old 01-20-2020, 11:45 PM
UnoMas
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I am new to the forum but I have replaced mine with the MAcarbon product and was very pleased. We are talking about close to $200 for two plastic switches so I did kind of expect something OEM. They came as advertised- very nice and pretty easy to install. Lots of good DIY info out there
Old 01-21-2020, 10:23 AM
maxw
Instructor

Originally Posted by UnoMas
I am new to the forum but I have replaced mine with the MAcarbon product and was very pleased. We are talking about close to $200 for two plastic switches so I did kind of expect something OEM. They came as advertised- very nice and pretty easy to install. Lots of good DIY info out there
OEM quality was awful!

I hear you though. I had a hard time rationalizing spending as you said close to $200 for something like this, and is why looked around some more. StickyNoMore.com lists right now at $150 but saw they had a 20% off deal so was $120 all in - but would need to reach out to them to confirm current pricing. I'm very pleased with their solution/service.
Old 01-21-2020, 10:52 AM
UnoMas
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I should clarify, the MAcarbon replacements are $185 and they are what OEM should have been...
Old 01-26-2020, 02:51 PM
renncayman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by boxtaboy
FWIW, I don’t know what this company did in the past cause I only got my car in Feb, but I bought their Temp and Fan levers and they came out great. Pics below, and they look pretty darned good to me. No affiliation. Just a happy customer. Hope they last though, but the look pretty solid.

Before:

Climarepair:

Swapping them in:

Finished product. I used the Rennlist discount code, so got em for $120.
They’re backlit at night too...

Originally Posted by maxw
Sharing my experience - I decided to go with StickyNoMore.com. I've seen their name out there for a long time as a trusted source that did quality work, and their price point was a material discount over MAcarbon's current pricing that was recommended here (contact StickyNoMore.com for pricing as may be running specials at different times). I would not entertain Climarepair regardless of their current quality given their history.

Very pleased with how it came out. I removed the buttons and sent them in, and they were back in my hands within a week (couldn't believe how quick).

The BEFORE and AFTER:

One lesson to learn here if you decide to remove these yourself as I did - if you look at the before photo...TEMP button on the top...when I removed...the top of the button scraped against the silver part of the frame smearing the sticky stuff on the inside (and I didn't notice). When I put in the new buttons, the old sticky stuff smeared on my new button - so had to spend some time cleaning that off the new buttons (certainly irritated I did this). But it cleaned off no problem with some patience. It's amazing how the paint just totally disintegrated on these buttons (mine a 2005).

Totally worth getting this done!

Sorry to bother, but climarepair´s looks 100 times better I wouldn't cope a sticker!
Old 01-27-2020, 10:18 AM
maxw
Instructor

Originally Posted by renncayman
Sorry to bother, but climarepair´s looks 100 times better I wouldn't cope a sticker!
It's obvious that "renncayman" is a shill account for Climarepair. I looked closer because this "100 times better" statement is completely ridiculous and figured there had to be other motivation here.

If you look at posts made by "renncayman" over history, in almost every instance there is a Climarepair pitch with some random superfluous comment thrown in on other threads within a couple minutes of the initial post. For example yesterday...after making this "100 times better" comment about Climarepair...he posted on another thread this pearl of a contribution about repairing a PDK transmissions: "This threat is becoming more and more interesting!"

For anyone debating this purchase - if you prefer doing business with companies with integrity I'd suggest either MAcarbon or StickyNoMore.com. Doesn't take too much research on this forum to reach this conclusion.

The following users liked this post:
MEMike (11-05-2020)
Old 01-27-2020, 07:05 PM
Climarepair.com
Former Sponsor

Received 92 Likes on 68 Posts

That user has nothing to do with us.

Anyway, we used to sell stickers in the past to cover the peeling *****. At a certain point we decided stickers was not the way go to, and we developed the switches, so finding replacement switches with stickers on int is kinda funny to us!
Old 01-28-2020, 08:02 AM
cosm3os
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Climarepair.com
That user has nothing to do with us.

Anyway, we used to sell stickers in the past to cover the peeling *****. At a certain point we decided stickers was not the way go to, and we developed the switches, so finding replacement switches with stickers on int is kinda funny to us!
​​​​​​
So is good customer service!
Old 03-24-2020, 09:03 PM
jamiepstewart
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

I ordered new switches from Climarepair.com just a week before the Coronavirus shut everything down... Maybe a week and a half from sale until they arrived. They look bang-on, perfect. They were highly responsive with my order and it went like clockwork. Now... just need to find the time to install. I will post picts when done.

Quick Reply: Peeling climate control buttons - a new solution ?