Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear ended by a pickup

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 11:41 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 736 Posts

Update. Got the car back yesterday. Impossible to see the difference before the wreck and after the repair. Amazing work. I paid the most reputable auto appraiser in the area $175 for his assessment and he agrees. He has 30 years in the business, much of it in a body shop dealing mostly with high end stuff. His assessment is in writing in the form of a letter addressing diminished value which I can use in dealing with the insurance company.

I'm pretty disappointed in the low amount he came up with. Looks like there's an established formula being used which relies heavily on the cost of the repair and less on the perception that a car with collision damage history suffers from. To many buyers and certainly to all dealerships, if the Carfax isn't clean, it's a big hit, no matter how slight the damage. This repair came to just over $4,000 which really isn't much for a rear end hit. Seems like I would have been better off with a much harder hit and a larger repair bill. The repair would have been equally good and the collision history would have looked the same to most observers but the diminished value compensation would have increased in direct proportion to the repair bill.

I'm tempted to try a different route on this before submitting the appraiser's letter. Comments and opinions are appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
C4S diminished value202.pdf (229.4 KB, 103 views)
Old 05-13-2012, 11:54 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Sometimes Carfax will not capture all incidences properly. With my prior M3 it had flood damage ($14k in repairs) and a wreck ($15k in repairs). I assumed the worst and just kept her for 10 years... when I sold her last year for the 997 I discovered that I had a clean Carfax even though everything was covered by insurance. In fact, the wreck was documented by an undercover APD officer who happen to be onsite and was a witness. He confirm that the other driver ran the red light. The other driver wasn't so willing to admit fault at 1st.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:39 AM
Rachel232
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh man - I feel your pain. FFS. Good luck with the repair. Make sure to post pics when it's done.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:42 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
Sometimes Carfax will not capture all incidences properly. With my prior M3 it had flood damage ($14k in repairs) and a wreck ($15k in repairs). I assumed the worst and just kept her for 10 years... when I sold her last year for the 997 I discovered that I had a clean Carfax even though everything was covered by insurance. In fact, the wreck was documented by an undercover APD officer who happen to be onsite and was a witness. He confirm that the other driver ran the red light. The other driver wasn't so willing to admit fault at 1st.
I know of a car that was submerged in water for several days and comes up 100% clean.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:26 AM
Skibum
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Must have been soapy water.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:40 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 474 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by Skibum
Must have been soapy water.
Oh Boy

Tom
Old 05-14-2012, 01:42 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 474 Likes on 272 Posts

Good to know you're happy with the repair...that's the main thing.....other than that it kinda is what it is. Been there done that!

Enjoy your beauty!!

Tom
Old 05-14-2012, 03:28 PM
Patangatan
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a story for you; I purchased a brand new M3; day 6 a beatup pickup truck slams in to my rear when I'm standing at a red light. After his airbag deflates and I step out, he takes off!! $8k of damage and driving a Jetta for a month... The cop found the guy, as during his grand escape, he slammed in to another lady's car and hislicence plate dropped off!!
Old 05-14-2012, 07:32 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

To many buyers and certainly to all dealerships, if the Carfax isn't clean, it's a big hit, no matter how slight the damage.

That's my experience too. The best you'll get from dealerships is what your car will sell for at an auction which isn't very much. A friend of mine had his 997 damaged in an accident in 2007 and the Carfax showed damage to left side of car. Although Porsche Dealers weren' t interested in his car, Carmax gave him top dollar since the repairs were performed perfectly.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:56 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, you have pictures of the damage, which was extremely minor, documentation of the repair done right, and a qualified appraiser's opinion on minimal diminished value.

Not much else to be done. Just enjoy the car and deal with any fallout if and when you need to.

Honestly, a knowledgeable buyer wouldn't let that little ding keep them from buying the car if that's what they wanted. They might haggle with you a little on it, but that's about it..
Old 05-14-2012, 10:25 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

More importantly is that your okay, the rest will come and go...

Get referrals before committing to a repair shop
Old 05-15-2012, 04:15 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by SSST
Well, you have pictures of the damage, which was extremely minor, documentation of the repair done right, and a qualified appraiser's opinion on minimal diminished value.

Not much else to be done. Just enjoy the car and deal with any fallout if and when you need to.

Honestly, a knowledgeable buyer wouldn't let that little ding keep them from buying the car if that's what they wanted. They might haggle with you a little on it, but that's about it..
That's pretty much the way I see it. Also should be noted that the actual cash value of the car the appraiser is using ($81,687.00) is more than I paid for the car 14 months and 12,000 miles ago. He used 9 different sources to arrive at that figure as best I can tell. Either he got it wrong or the price resilience of these cars is impressive, especially with the 991 out in full force.

Quick Reply: Rear ended by a pickup