Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear ended by a pickup

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 10:02 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

Don't give up. Your car can be put back together. The most important thing to do is to find the best restoration shop available. That's what I did back in 2007 when the exact same thing happened to me. Since then I was offered a great trade in back in 2010 and that led to my first Turbo. I didn't take much of a hit on the trade in because the dealership was well aware of the company that did my restoration work with papers to verify the entire restoration.

Hang in there, Jay

Check my link that has before and after shots. https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...come-home.html
Old 04-22-2012, 10:46 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Nice post DJ
Old 04-22-2012, 11:03 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 736 Posts

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
OP, sorry this happened to you. It's one off my own feared nightmares. Seen it all too often whether it be a truck, car, SUV, minivan, and even hybrids. Our p-cars seem to draw them in like moths to a light. Inevitability they tailgate or inch forward at a stop as a means to intimidate or get some personal satisfaction in doing so... unfortunately these knuckle heads are too addle minded to consider the fact that their vehicles are not designed to stop better than our p-cars = accident if we had to make an emergency stop.

While commuting during morning rush hour several months ago I had a suburban SUV tailgating me. I could see that the other driver was on his cell phone, drinking coffee, and aggressively accelerating and stopping at the last second - poor driving in general. Sure enough traffic came to a sudden stop in front of me... saw in my rear view mirror that he was distracted again and too close to stop in time. I made a intuitive judgement call and pulled into the center turn lane... the idiot zoomed passed me, brakes squealing, coffee flying, rubber laying down a dark path towards the car in front of me and where I would have been... he came within inches of hitting the car in front of me. If I had been there instead of moving over one lane at the last moment... well I saved the idiot from himself and avoided some painful repairs and potential injuries to myself that day. The car's agility definitely paid for itself. Wish I could say that was the one and only instance I've narrowed escaped but such is not the case in our addle minded ridden motoring world. Best wishes to you and the upcoming repairs to your beautiful car. Keep us posted.
I agree and I think I posted about the pickup syndrome once before. I'm not prejudiced but a lot of the pickup truck heroes clearly don't care for our cars. Hardly a day goes by without one of them filling up the whole rear window at what looks like about a foot behind. Moving at speed that is.

Originally Posted by Eric - Plug Guy
Good luck with the repairs - be sure to meet the shop owner, and the head painter when you go and review sprayouts.
Good advice. Tx.

Originally Posted by alexb76
Oh no!!! Sorry man, that must have SUCKED big time! I HATE that we got sooo many trucks/SUVs on the road (while 90% of them do NOT use them for utility), they are actually menace on regular sedans and sports cars being so much higher! Insurance companies should seriously charge high trucks more as they just cause so much more damage in accidents than regular height cars!
Point well taken. This was not a hard hit and there may have been little or no damage had it been a bumper to bumper encounter.

Originally Posted by TommyV44
I sent you a PM as the same exact thing happened to me right before Christmas. Where you take the car makes all the difference....ALL THE DIFFERENCE!

You can't assume that the dealer is an unbiased referral source either!

Tom
Thanks for the PM Tom. I'll call you tomorrow. What you said is exactly right. My wife dropped a garden tool on the hood of my -06 so I called my dealer for a recommendation on where to get it fixed. The shop they sent me to did a terrible job. Two blisters clearly visible once the car dried up (it was raining when I picked it up) and they tried to blame me saying I must have closed the hood with something inside it that didn't quiet fit. Problem was that both blisters were in an area where there's a double layer of metal so the theory they advanced could not have happened. They finally admitted it, resprayed the hood and this time there was discoloration in the paint instead. Didn't notice until I was ready to trade so I let it go since the dealer taking the trade didn't bring it up. Most importantly though and sure enough.....I found out that the body shop the dealer uses and recommends is a sister company owned by the same guy.

Originally Posted by gota911
Jason,

Sorry tohear about your car. I hope you get it repaire competely.
I will. As stated above, some patience required to get it done right.

Originally Posted by DJ23
Don't give up. Your car can be put back together. The most important thing to do is to find the best restoration shop available. That's what I did back in 2007 when the exact same thing happened to me. Since then I was offered a great trade in back in 2010 and that led to my first Turbo. I didn't take much of a hit on the trade in because the dealership was well aware of the company that did my restoration work with papers to verify the entire restoration.

Hang in there, Jay

Check my link that has before and after shots. https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...come-home.html
I really appreciate all that DJ. I have a number of people to call Monday. By the time I'm done I'm sure I'll have a good idea of where to take the car. You want it back quickly so it's tempting to take the path of least resistance (dealer route) but that's not happening this time.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:55 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 849 Likes on 466 Posts

SW...I have the same vehicle I think or very similar so I feel your pain definately. I would definately claim diminished value as I did when someone hit and ran my wife's Cayenne S 2 yrs ago. Still have the pics of the body shop taking it apart and they had to re-spray the whole back 1/3 of the car (both sides) to get the paint to blend correctly post repair and look factory. (jet black)

Also agree that with carfax today most dealers will try to lowball and wholesale your car in trade or re-sale even with an excellent repair. I know cause at some point thought about trading my new to me CPO 09 C4S for an AM Vantage last Nov and although I had just purchased my car CPO the same year in Aug I found it had a re-paint of the rear bumper due to a low end accident at the dealership with its previous owner. Just for that on the carfax despite the car was repaired with new rear bumper cover and was in excellent condition; I was consistently low balled and offered at least $6-10k below what a "clean" car fax C4S would fetch. This was at at least 6 dealers to include CarMax. So I fear this small incident will cause the same. Definately check out diminished value.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:36 AM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 23 Posts

Old 04-23-2012, 02:41 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by chinole
It's never painless, however way you look at it.

I can almost feel Sandwedge's pain. Never going to be original!

So sorry... wish you the best on your claim and repair!

BTW, how's the other guy? Hope he's still alive or not in the hospital!
He could well be in a hospital but not by my hands as tempting as it may have been. He was the driver but the truck was owned by his gf. She was there and not happy. I stayed in my car waiting for the sheriff's deputy while they slugged it out inside the truck. Noisy and emotional best describes it.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:53 AM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Sorry to hear of this misfortune.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:39 PM
niner niner seven
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That really sux sorry to see, my worst fear.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:31 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 476 Likes on 273 Posts

Just a side note to give you some optimism.......I finally got my car back today........4 months later........and she's perfect.........lovely.........solid and beautiful!!

I will never, ever again take driving that car for granted not even for 5 minutes. I put a short shifter in her as well. What a dream!

And what a GD lucky guy I am! You find the right place and they can put her back together again beautifully. And your car didn't have half the damage that mine did.

Artists made her and artists can put her together again. All the best of luck to you and please call me if I can be of any6 help or assistance!

Best,

Tom
Old 04-23-2012, 11:05 PM
Aquary
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about this, sandwedge....

I am curious about the concept of "diminished value" that some have brought up. I know it's real, but do insurance companies cover that sort of thing under a normal policy, or does it require some additional clause in your insurance contract?
Old 04-23-2012, 11:46 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

A qualified body shop, a Porsche Approved Collision Center (there a few around but not as many as there claim to be...) will know what to do.

The QP is a pain because it is not a removable panel. If dented/bent it will have to be straightened.

For arctic silver (my Turbo's color) it takes real skill/experience and the right paint system (PACC's have all of the above!) to get the paint to match. Adjacent panels will be sprayed to blend.

Right now focus on getting the car into a good shop and getting it fixed as good as humanly possible. If you then want to see if you can get any DV from the other driver's insurance company...

But first and foremost you want to the car fixed right. The damage is not severe and after it is fixed, if fixed right, the car will be none the worse for the encounter.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:16 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,275 Likes on 588 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyV44
Just a side note to give you some optimism.......I finally got my car back today........4 months later........and she's perfect.........lovely.........solid and beautiful!!

I will never, ever again take driving that car for granted not even for 5 minutes. I put a short shifter in her as well. What a dream!

And what a GD lucky guy I am! You find the right place and they can put her back together again beautifully. And your car didn't have half the damage that mine did.

Artists made her and artists can put her together again. All the best of luck to you and please call me if I can be of any6 help or assistance!

Best,

Tom
Sandwedge - they say the drive to NYC is beautiful this time of year... All joking aside, the pics of Tom's repair are stunning. Master craftsmen.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:24 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 476 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus993
Sandwedge - they say the drive to NYC is beautiful this time of year... All joking aside, the pics of Tom's repair are stunning. Master craftsmen.
Thanks Zeus........for the kind words. Sand Wedge....you could make it quickly....I'll put in a good word!
Old 04-24-2012, 12:40 AM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Really sorry to hear about tis Jason... I really like your avatar - gorgeous car. I'm sure it will be "made right" soon enough...

-B
Old 04-24-2012, 12:49 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Macster
A qualified body shop, a Porsche Approved Collision Center (there a few around but not as many as there claim to be...) will know what to do.

The QP is a pain because it is not a removable panel. If dented/bent it will have to be straightened.

For arctic silver (my Turbo's color) it takes real skill/experience and the right paint system (PACC's have all of the above!) to get the paint to match. Adjacent panels will be sprayed to blend.

Right now focus on getting the car into a good shop and getting it fixed as good as humanly possible. If you then want to see if you can get any DV from the other driver's insurance company...

But first and foremost you want to the car fixed right. The damage is not severe and after it is fixed, if fixed right, the car will be none the worse for the encounter.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Well....that's definitely the case looking at it through a strictly objective lens. Nobody looks through that lens though so going forward, this car will most like have collision history and you know how that goes. Talked to two body shops today (one of them recommended off record by the SM at the dealer). Both said this is nothing but cosmetics and can easily be fixed where nobody will ever know. Unless they use a paint meter or if it shows up on carfax.

Either one will probably result in a good excuse to lop 10% off the value of the car. Never mind that it has zero impact on the actual value of the car except for perception. Meanwhile, there are thousands of 997's out there with clean carfaxes and clean DME readouts that shouldn't have either. For the DME issue, ask me how I know if you're interested.

Quick Reply: Rear ended by a pickup