Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear ended by a pickup

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 10:16 AM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 81 Posts

See if they can painless dent removal the quarter panel... those guys can do wonders.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:21 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,275 Likes on 588 Posts

Originally Posted by Marlon Targa 86
I was checking out your avatar yesterday and was thinking the rear of your looked so awesome with the red reflector going across. Old school meets new.

Sometimes I feel people pull up closer to me at red lights, just to make a point. Whatever that "point" might be...
I get the same thing. We also have alot of drivers that seem just kind of, uhhh, 'spaced out' here. So I've started the habit of hitting my brakes lights multiple times, essentially flashing the guy, when I see traffic approaching to my rear. I've no study to prove whether or not it helps or not but so for so good.

Looking at your pics again Sandwedge, I think the right q-panel will be easliy pushed out by a good shop. I've seen guys do masterful artist work getting dents out. Amazing. Biggest area will be the painting as discussed.

Also, would love a side pic of your wheels sometime too. They must be nice.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:06 AM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Bad news sandwedge, sorry to hear about it man.

Check with Porsche dealer on outcome of repairs to see if this car would be CPO if you decide to sell or trade. If not, I would try to persue the ins co for difference.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:11 AM
eflight
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
The guy who hit me brought a new excuse though. He said he couldn't see my car because it sits so low and he's almost 6' above the ground with a long hood in front of him.
That is just a classic case of trying to place the blame on someone else, see its your fault he hit you cause your car is too low to be seen. Now if you had a big ole impressive truck like his this would not have happened.

Unfortunately there are two sides to the bell curve.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:43 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

With the advent of the ever present Carfax reports, no Dealers in my area will give you a decent price for your car since they will wholesale it. An appraiser can let you know how much you car has depreciated in value, but I'm guessing a minimum of 10%. You shouldn't have any problem collecting that from a reputable Insurance company.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:07 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 136 Likes on 73 Posts

That stinks. I hope you can get everything repaired quickly and to your satisfaction. Good luck.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:10 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 736 Posts

Originally Posted by rcg412
See if they can painless dent removal the quarter panel... those guys can do wonders.
I know that can be done. There's a dent removal guy in town who's working on putting body shops out of business. I can not believe some of his work. He doesn't just fix dents but full blown collision damage. Again, the big question for me is how far they have to take the paint. The qp damage itself is fairly slight.

Originally Posted by Zeus993
I get the same thing. We also have alot of drivers that seem just kind of, uhhh, 'spaced out' here. So I've started the habit of hitting my brakes lights multiple times, essentially flashing the guy, when I see traffic approaching to my rear. I've no study to prove whether or not it helps or not but so for so good.

Looking at your pics again Sandwedge, I think the right q-panel will be easliy pushed out by a good shop. I've seen guys do masterful artist work getting dents out. Amazing. Biggest area will be the painting as discussed.

Also, would love a side pic of your wheels sometime too. They must be nice.
See below pls.

Originally Posted by Mumbles
Bad news sandwedge, sorry to hear about it man.

Check with Porsche dealer on outcome of repairs to see if this car would be CPO if you decide to sell or trade. If not, I would try to persue the ins co for difference.
I'm pursuing diminished value no matter what my dealer says. Most dealers look for excuses to pay less so I'm going on the assumption that this will be a good excuse.

Originally Posted by eflight
That is just a classic case of trying to place the blame on someone else, see its your fault he hit you cause your car is too low to be seen. Now if you had a big ole impressive truck like his this would not have happened.

Unfortunately there are two sides to the bell curve.
Pretty close to what he actully said.

Originally Posted by fast1
With the advent of the ever present Carfax reports, no Dealers in my area will give you a decent price for your car since they will wholesale it. An appraiser can let you know how much you car has depreciated in value, but I'm guessing a minimum of 10%. You shouldn't have any problem collecting that from a reputable Insurance company.
I have USAA and they never let me down. Pickup guy has Geico. Don't know anything about them except that they spend a lot of money on commercials.
Attached Images  
Old 04-22-2012, 05:36 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
Default It happens all too often...

OP, sorry this happened to you. It's one off my own feared nightmares. Seen it all too often whether it be a truck, car, SUV, minivan, and even hybrids. Our p-cars seem to draw them in like moths to a light. Inevitability they tailgate or inch forward at a stop as a means to intimidate or get some personal satisfaction in doing so... unfortunately these knuckle heads are too addle minded to consider the fact that their vehicles are not designed to stop better than our p-cars = accident if we had to make an emergency stop.

While commuting during morning rush hour several months ago I had a suburban SUV tailgating me. I could see that the other driver was on his cell phone, drinking coffee, and aggressively accelerating and stopping at the last second - poor driving in general. Sure enough traffic came to a sudden stop in front of me... saw in my rear view mirror that he was distracted again and too close to stop in time. I made a intuitive judgement call and pulled into the center turn lane... the idiot zoomed passed me, brakes squealing, coffee flying, rubber laying down a dark path towards the car in front of me and where I would have been... he came within inches of hitting the car in front of me. If I had been there instead of moving over one lane at the last moment... well I saved the idiot from himself and avoided some painful repairs and potential injuries to myself that day. The car's agility definitely paid for itself. Wish I could say that was the one and only instance I've narrowed escaped but such is not the case in our addle minded ridden motoring world. Best wishes to you and the upcoming repairs to your beautiful car. Keep us posted.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:51 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

Good luck with the repairs - be sure to meet the shop owner, and the head painter when you go and review sprayouts.

As for the theory on watching the rearview at stops - I do it 99% of the time. Always amazes me how out of touch drivers are. I've even explored putting in a horn mechanism with hardware in the engine bay or rear bumper assembly (not visible, of course) so I could push a button nearby the dash somewhere and blow someone's hair back if I thought they were not paying attention and about to hit me. Have not found enough room yet, but there are some nice horn assemblies out there that would sounds like a Freighliner bearing down on some moron lost on a cell call and about to hit the back end.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 04-22-2012, 05:57 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Oh no!!! Sorry man, that must have SUCKED big time! I HATE that we got sooo many trucks/SUVs on the road (while 90% of them do NOT use them for utility), they are actually menace on regular sedans and sports cars being so much higher! Insurance companies should seriously charge high trucks more as they just cause so much more damage in accidents than regular height cars!
Old 04-22-2012, 07:22 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 476 Likes on 273 Posts

I sent you a PM as the same exact thing happened to me right before Christmas. Where you take the car makes all the difference....ALL THE DIFFERENCE!

You can't assume that the dealer is an unbiased referral source either!

Tom
Old 04-22-2012, 08:04 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyV44
I sent you a PM as the same exact thing happened to me right before Christmas. Where you take the car makes all the difference....ALL THE DIFFERENCE!

You can't assume that the dealer is an unbiased referral source either!

Tom
I couldn' t agree more. My car was damaged by an unattentive driver; she was talking away on her cell phone and completely oblivious to anything around her. Fortunately, I was able to find a shop that specialized in the repair of high end cars.

While my car was being repaired there were two other Porsches, a MB, and a Ferrari in the repair shop. The shop was so exclusive that they wouldn't repair cars that were insured by certain Insurance companies, Progressive comes to mind. In other words if the Insurace carrier insisted on using other than OEM parts, he wouldn' t repair the car.

Bottom line my car was repaired so perfectly that the appraiser was unable to find the repaired area.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:10 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 476 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
I couldn' t agree more. My car was damaged by an unattentive driver; she was talking away on her cell phone and completely oblivious to anything around her. Fortunately, I was able to find a shop that specialized in the repair of high end cars.

While my car was being repaired there were two other Porsches, a MB, and a Ferrari in the repair shop. The shop was so exclusive that they wouldn't repair cars that were insured by certain Insurance companies, Progressive comes to mind. In other words if the Insurace carrier insisted on using other than OEM parts, he wouldn' t repair the car.

Bottom line my car was repaired so perfectly that the appraiser was unable to find the repaired area.
My car as well. In fact the Porsche mechanic (at the dealers) who I've used for many cars and he works on the car exclusively said he never imagined that the car could be repaired to that level! The shop I used was not the one recommended by the dealer but one another Porsche member was kind enough to step in and provide me with.

They fix Lambos, MBs, Ferraris, etc and they do meticulous, perfect work.....beyond even understanding. And, just as importantly they treat me and my car like it was theirs and I'm part of the family......I am oh so lucky I found them!!!!

I'm forever indebted to that guy and it just goes to show what can happen when people care enough to take a few minutes to help one another.

Best,

Tom
Old 04-22-2012, 09:42 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Jason,

Sorry tohear about your car. I hope you get it repaire competely.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:55 PM
chinole
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rcg412
It's never painless, however way you look at it.

I can almost feel Sandwedge's pain. Never going to be original!

So sorry... wish you the best on your claim and repair!

BTW, how's the other guy? Hope he's still alive or not in the hospital!

Quick Reply: Rear ended by a pickup