Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTF - Have you seen this? Death of a 997.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 12:45 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
who cares? its not your car, so why are you all so upset about it?
I don't think anyone's loosing sleep over it, but as a car enthusiast it was disturbing to watch a perfectly beautiful Porsche 997 being destroyed in the name of "art". It was a waste. Seems to me he could have bought one that was already totalled from a yard and done the same thing with the same result. So its stupid on two levels. Destroying a perfectly beautiful and serviceble Carrera and over paying to crunch one up into a wad.

But we understand that there are people out there that it doesn't bother like those perfectly content to let some gas jockey chip up their car at the pump.

Takes all kinds to make the world turn.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:59 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 133 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
I don't think anyone's loosing sleep over it, but as a car enthusiast it was disturbing to watch a perfectly beautiful Porsche 997 being destroyed in the name of "art". It was a waste. Seems to me he could have bought one that was already totalled from a yard and done the same thing with the same result. So its stupid on two levels. Destroying a perfectly beautiful and serviceble Carrera and over paying to crunch one up into a wad.

But we understand that there are people out there that it doesn't bother like those perfectly content to let some gas jockey chip up their car at the pump.

Takes all kinds to make the world turn.
Actually, who really knows how "serviceble" the car is. All we heard at the beginning was the engine running for a few seconds. There could be a million things wrong w/ the car and / or a million miles on it and they got it for dirt! COuld also be an impound and bought cheap at a police auction. One never knows!
Old 04-18-2012, 02:44 PM
Graygoose997
.org
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Crushing a current mass produced car, which can be replaced a few thousand times over, didn't bother me in the least.
However, watching this idiot crush what appeared to be a beautiful irreplaceable,928, in order to prove that point that tanks can, well ....crush ****.....that one hurt.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1430598.html
Old 04-18-2012, 03:45 PM
buddy911t
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

People don't like there icons f-ed with. the car was already art then he turned it into crap.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:03 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by buddy911t
People don't like there icons f-ed with. the car was already art then he turned it into crap.

Ding, ding, ding. and we have a winner.

Regardless of the 997 being mass produced (928 was massed produced too) it just hurts car enthusiasts to see a perfectly good Carrera balled up into a wad so this jerk and his aritocrat progressive buddies can sit stand around it and sip their wine and mentally masterbate over the impressionistic meanings of a pile of scrap.

That schmuck crushed a 928 too???? Jeez. Maybe that pile of scrap has a different meaning then the other pile of scrap.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:17 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,372 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by buddy911t
Originally Posted by Waxer
Ding, ding, ding. and we have a winner.

Regardless of the 997 being mass produced (928 was massed produced too) it just hurts car enthusiasts to see a perfectly good Carrera balled up into a wad so this jerk and his aritocrat progressive buddies can sit stand around it and sip their wine and mentally masterbate over the impressionistic meanings of a pile of scrap.

That schmuck crushed a 928 too???? Jeez. Maybe that pile of scrap has a different meaning then the other pile of scrap.
yeah, really couldn't care less. If he paid for it, he's free to do whatever the hell he wants with it. You can think he's ridiculous for doing what he's doing, and he may think you're ridiculous for waxing it every 30 seconds.

who really cares.

worry about yourselves and your own cars and quit crying about things that don't concern you.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:37 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

yeah, really couldn't care less. If he paid for it, he's free to do whatever the hell he wants with it. You can think he's ridiculous for doing what he's doing, and he may think you're ridiculous for waxing it every 30 seconds.

who really cares.

worry about yourselves and your own cars and quit crying about things that don't concern you.
1. Your correct. He is free to do what he wants with it.
2. Your correct. I can think he's ridiculous. He can think I'm ridiculous.
3. Your correct. No one actually really cares.
4. Your correct. I worry about myself and my car.
5. Your incorrect. Not crying about things that don't concern me nor is anyone else here. Just an interesting topic of discussion and pointing out seeing a perfectlybeautiful car wadded up was disconcerting.

Sorry about the crying.

Hopefully the threads here in the future and the future posts will be more to your liking.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:27 PM
buddy911t
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess the so called artist achieved his goal, he got people to argue about his "piece". By the way, I didn't watch the stupid thing , it doesn't deserve my attention.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:32 PM
82_930
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's not so much that we care about the car as we are all commenting on the stupidity of people... doing something for the sake of being lurid is shallow and meaningless, quite the opposite of the whole point of art.

Furthermore, if your pissing on Jesus (or Muhammad or Moses, etc.) following it up by taking pictures of it, then destroying other wise useful things for the sake of it and then saying how "cool" it is, and finally defending your actions by saying it is art where does it stop? You know, even serial killers call their "handy work" art.

So, to answer your question, we are upset about the fact that this idiot is being praised for otherwise, something stupid which will inevitably lead to more people being influenced into stupid, destructive behavior.

Also, many artists are funded with government money, so to add insult to injury, we are also usually paying for it.

Last edited by 82_930; 04-19-2012 at 01:20 AM.
Old 04-20-2012, 05:18 PM
Gliding_Serpent
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wanted a compact car... and I like Porsche, but this takes it slightly too far for my tastes.

On another note... I love modern art... take a dump in a box and place it on a shiny pedestal in some pretentious museum in SoHo and someone will love it for being so "avant-garde" and "modern-rustic." Reminds me of the modern art that is a single vertical line on a white canvas that sells for millions. Or the modern art that was valued at outrageous prices about 10 years ago... but turned out to be submitted by the mom of a 4 year old who did them.

Quick Reply: WTF - Have you seen this? Death of a 997.