Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the 997.2 an open air Engine to the elements ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 06:07 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Here are some pics I just took of my Aerokit Cup. I tried to show top and bottom views of the deck lid. You will see that from the underside, with the "accordion" port removed, you do not look straight up through the deck lid vent. Air flow is drawn across through a passage in the wing and down into the filters. Any water drains out through holes in the bottom corners of the deck lid near the rubber bumpers (upper left in picture.)

I hope this makes sense. Did we really think Porsche engineers would neglect to manage this?

Apologies...for some reason the system won't let me upload the pics. I'll try again later. For now you'll just have to trust me...

update: still can't post pics, no idea why. sorry

Last edited by Hammer911; 04-16-2012 at 11:43 PM. Reason: typo, update
Old 04-16-2012, 06:13 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Of course this is only a problem if you drive your car in the rain
Old 04-16-2012, 08:02 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammer911
You will see that from the underside, with the "accordion" port removed, you do not look straight up through the deck lid vent. Air flow (and any rain) is drawn across through a passage in the wing and down into the filters. Any water drains out through holes in the bottom corners of the deck lid near the rubber bumpers (upper left in picture.)

I hope this makes sense. Did we really think Porsche engineers would neglect to manage this?
Well, according to *Getty*, the 997 engine is ""911 engines are open to the elements both air and water get onto the engine. The air filter makes sure only clean air enters the intake. " So, no need to worry about water and debris getting into your air filter, it's designed to filter it out!

To Op, if you really want to keep the ductail look, I'd suggest find the OEM one somewhere, I was seriously thinking about it, it looks GREAT IMO, but as long as it actually works and does its purpose of both channeling air into the engine, while channeling water away!
Old 04-16-2012, 08:32 PM
TxBob74
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammer911
Here are some pics I just took of my Aerokit Cup. I tried to show top and bottom views of the deck lid. You will see that from the underside, with the "accordion" port removed, you do not look straight up through the deck lid vent. Air flow (and any rain) is drawn across through a passage in the wing and down into the filters. Any water drains out through holes in the bottom corners of the deck lid near the rubber bumpers (upper left in picture.)

Apologies...for some reason the system won't let me upload the pics. I'll try again later. For now you'll just have to trust me...
I am not sure how you could take a picture to show the Aerokit rear deck construction but Hammer911 is correct. I had thought that the outside deck openings went straight into the "accordians" that mate with the filter box. Wrong.

The rear deck is hollow fiberglass that acts as an air plenum. Each accordian continues upward into a hard plastic snorkel that opens into the upper (front) part of the deck interior, in front of the intake grilles. Intake air and water pass over the outside of the snorkel. Water (large droplets, at least) cannot make the tortuous turn toward the front and will drain through the deck to the openings at the lower (rear) corners. Air makes the turn into the snorkels (two intakes with the Powerkit).

Now I can start dumping wash water into the air intake grilles without fear of drenching the filters (or worse). And watch to make certain that water exits through the drain openings!

mzn50, this probably doesn't address your question. If you have a solid deck lid, or "hard duct" directly to the filter box, you will need a different method to separate water from combustion air.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:39 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 706 Likes on 515 Posts

You wouldn't want water to cause any electrical issues, i.e. coil packs, arcing plug issues....etc...

Cleaning an engine today can be tricky with all the possible electrical gremlins you can unwittingly cause by getting water on things.............
Old 04-16-2012, 09:06 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
Ofcourse, but so is GT3 RS, but you can buy GT3 parts! You could have just bought the ductail! Suncoast used to have it for a while... and I think it was around Aerokit price, or less.

It's my understanding that Porsche will only sell the "Sport Classic" specific parts to Sport Classic owners. They don't want a bunch of copycats running around.

I'd be very worried to have water literally POURING onto my air filters. The stock filters are dry paper filters. They need to STAY dry. They will become water logged and get spongy, then they could possibly fail and rip open. It doesn't take to much imagination to see a possibility of water ingestion by the engine. Wouldn't take much water to cause hydro lock, totally destroying an otherwise healthy motor. Your warranty will be null and void at this point, since aftermarket parts caused the problem.

Didn't the installer have any second thoughts about installing this?

Good luck sorting this out.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:41 PM
mzn50
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Bob.. these are the pics that Bob(Hammer) had sent me earlier..
from what I see.. I have the same rear deck and is hollow fiberglass that acts as an air plenum.. drainage is done via 1/4 inch holes near the bottom of each the stubbies.

What I dont have is that cover over the accordion which is inbetween the accordion and the grill..which would stop the water from going directly into the air intake.. I presume the odd drop would be ok as there are exhausts holes..

I presume I can get a 2 "plates" made(as in the 3rd Pic..) as Im missing those.. and find a way to put them in between the accordions and the grill .. leaving space for ample air to get in.. while having the water pour in to the hollow fibreglass and exhaust at both holes that are found at the bottom..

another Question .. is the area where the FAN is also covered ??.. or is that open to the top grills ?

thanks guys.. looks like a little project

Matt

Last edited by mzn50; 02-07-2013 at 01:17 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:47 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by RollingArt
It's my understanding that Porsche will only sell the "Sport Classic" specific parts to Sport Classic owners. They don't want a bunch of copycats running around.

I'd be very worried to have water literally POURING onto my air filters. The stock filters are dry paper filters. They need to STAY dry. They will become water logged and get spongy, then they could possibly fail and rip open. It doesn't take to much imagination to see a possibility of water ingestion by the engine. Wouldn't take much water to cause hydro lock, totally destroying an otherwise healthy motor. Your warranty will be null and void at this point, since aftermarket parts caused the problem.

Didn't the installer have any second thoughts about installing this?

Good luck sorting this out.
Well, Suncoast DID have it in stock at somepoint (I almost bought one), AND, as long as you got a VIN# for a car with ductail, it can be easily ordered. I had to do that for a special Alcantara part.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:04 AM
TxBob74
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Matt, I just arrived at work so cannot look at the car. But I am 99% certain that the fan exhausts into the deck and out the grilles. It's the only source of water dripping onto the engine when I open the lid to tidy up the engine bay after car washing.

Anyone know whether the fan only runs with the engine stopped? The only time I have witnessed it running was after driving home from purchasing the car in early July. It was mid-afternoon and very hot ambient.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:49 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by TxBob74
Matt, I just arrived at work so cannot look at the car. But I am 99% certain that the fan exhausts into the deck and out the grilles. It's the only source of water dripping onto the engine when I open the lid to tidy up the engine bay after car washing.

Anyone know whether the fan only runs with the engine stopped? The only time I have witnessed it running was after driving home from purchasing the car in early July. It was mid-afternoon and very hot ambient.
On my 08 997 TT I've only seen the fan on after shutdown on hot days. BTW, the fan doesn't exhaust, it blows air in.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:40 PM
mzn50
Racer

JH .. that is interesting.. I always thought the reverse//

So.. Porsche just got back to me at a "Field" Level this time..witht he following response :

"Hi Matt, just spoke with my Porsche Master Tech. No concern whatsoever! He was very quick to respond on this! Even from the factory, the rear decklid is open to the elements so you are 100% ok."

All to say that I will prob Still build the Baffles.. as a comfort thing
Old 05-11-2012, 02:10 AM
dw.metro
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Matt, thanks for this topic. I just received the Getty ducktail as well. Please post the pics of the baffles you intend to build and install.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:48 AM
mzn50
Racer

PM sent..

What I did is mimic'ed Bobs pics above.. I painted my grills and the 2 plates..with a heat resisitent black pain.. used polyurethane adhesive (Black) and used that to first glue the plates to the grills.. and then once dried.. grills to the Fibreglass tail..

rock solid..

Pis Pic shows water drops.. as I tested the water flow..

But again.. Porsche Master Technician told me this is not necessary..but I did it anyway for more peice of mind

Last edited by mzn50; 02-07-2013 at 01:17 PM.
Old 06-03-2015, 04:43 PM
Daohaus
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mzn50
PM sent..

What I did is mimic'ed Bobs pics above.. I painted my grills and the 2 plates..with a heat resisitent black pain.. used polyurethane adhesive (Black) and used that to first glue the plates to the grills.. and then once dried.. grills to the Fibreglass tail..

rock solid..

Pis Pic shows water drops.. as I tested the water flow..

But again.. Porsche Master Technician told me this is not necessary..but I did it anyway for more peice of mind
Bumping this as the old pics were removed and i really wanted to see the work
Old 06-03-2015, 05:09 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

I dont know what everybodys worried about. You know water runs off like on a ducks back.

Quick Reply: Is the 997.2 an open air Engine to the elements ??