Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Micheline Pilot Sports PS2

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 10:47 AM
vern1
Drifting

Received 124 Likes on 75 Posts

I went with the Hankook Evo's. Much less expensive and the reviews were great. Had them on for 18k kms and tracked them a couple of times. The rears have about 4-5mm to the wear bars and the fronts look brand new. No issues and will likely just replace the rears when their time comes
Old 04-15-2012, 01:43 PM
Sharkys
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in California so I can get away with an all summer tire like the Bridgestone RE11. I would never use the PS2. But I will try the MPSS in another year. If I wanted an inexpensive commute tire, I would go with the Hankooks as it would get the job done with good performance given the great price.
Old 04-15-2012, 02:20 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
Default MPSS vs. PZero? and should I mix or match?

I currently have Pirelli P Zero Rosso's with 5K miles on them. These supposedly wear fast so I'm considering replacement the rear tires within a year or so and the MPSS looks enticing... should I:

1. replace the rear set when they are wear out with MPSS and keep the PZero's in front. Would there be adverse issues with mixing front and rear brand/tire types.
2. get another set of P Zero's to match the fronts then replace with MPSS all around when the front and rear sets are both be worn out.
3. replace all 4 when the back are worn... most likely the ideal for best performance but also the most costly.

Any thoughts on MPSS vs. PZero? I don't drive in adverse weather so need tires for max summer driving on street and intend to do a few DE's in the near future.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:24 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
I currently have Pirelli P Zero Rosso's with 5K miles on them. These supposedly wear fast so I'm considering replacement the rear tires within a year or so and the MPSS looks enticing... should I:

1. replace the rear set when they are wear out with MPSS and keep the PZero's in front. Would there be adverse issues with mixing front and rear brand/tire types.
2. get another set of P Zero's to match the fronts then replace with MPSS all around when the front and rear sets are both be worn out.
3. replace all 4 when the back are worn... most likely the ideal for best performance but also the most costly.

Any thoughts on MPSS vs. PZero? I don't drive in adverse weather so need tires for max summer driving on street and intend to do a few DE's in the near future.
100% NO to mix and matching tires, absolutely not! It could make the car handle dangerously!

Now, there are TWO PZero tires (people always confuse this, which is Pirelli's fault by confusing brandin): PZero Rosso (came on .1), and PZero (came on .2 and 991), the PZero Rosso is an older tire and from what I've read will generate a lot of tire noise when it ages, and overall not that good reivews. PZero on the other hand, is a fantastic tire, was on-par and in some cases BETTER than PS2... but probably not as good as MPSS or S04. Since you got the Rosso, the MPSS or S-04 will be a better tire (or PZero for that matter).

So, what I suggest is to see how much front you got left. If it's EXACTLY half of the wear of rear, meaning if you changed the rears only, your next tire change is for all-4, then it's cost prohibitive to change all 4 now. However, if your front has only 30% left or so, might as well change them all. So, either option 2 or 3, depeding on how much your fronts are worn.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:43 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Thanks. That makes sense. BTW, I do have the 997.1S with the PZero Rosso's.

Quick Reply: Micheline Pilot Sports PS2