Question on installing rear camera in Targa

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 11:40 PM
Orlock
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on installing rear camera in Targa

Hi guys,

So, first post, and first Porsche. Bought an '07 Targa 4s about 4 weeks ago, knowing there would be a few things I'd want to change/upgrade as time went on.

While I love the sound of the engine (and the glances I'm getting while driving my new toy), I'm missing some of the niceties from my older BMW - like being able to take calls from the road and actually find my way to a new client site without 3 wrong turns.

Number one was move to a more modern audio system (love the buttons on the PCM, but lack of bluetooth and poor navi is killing me). Number two was to see if I could improve on the poor rear visibility if the top is retracted.

I have just picked up an aftermarket Pioneer AVH-p8400BH, one of the Eurospeed fascias, and a MOST-HUR harness. I'll DIY in a week or so, and take photos. Nice thing is the head unit has has a camera input, so I also picked up a Boyo license plate camera.

Now the issue is how to route the video and power lines from the aft, through the engine compartment, to the head unit. I've found the engine compartment gasket to the right hand side, and I've found a couple of threads detailing how to remove the coupe's passenger side rear interior panel... but of course the Targa is a little bit different, and I really would hate to break a tab wrestling this thing apart.

Anyone out there done something similar in a Targa 4 or 4s, and have some words of wisdom to share? Specifically, how do I get the rear right seatbelt guide (and speaker cover/interior light) assembly off? I'm guessing once that part which is unique to the targa is off, the rest will be like the C4S.

Hope someone out there can help! Thanks

Quick Reply: Question on installing rear camera in Targa