Sponsored by:

FFS... another speeding ticket...

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 05:21 PM
buddy911t
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mumbles
For 50km over the speed limit you can lose your car up here. Even crushed.
Crushed?....Move!
Old 04-08-2012, 07:04 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Roadside suspension, vehicle seizure.....caught racing....crushed

Heads up if you come to Ontario and wanna boot it !
Old 04-09-2012, 11:57 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
And answering "no" while not being truthful may result in the same probable cause. Last ticket I got was for speeding three years ago late one Saturday night. Not a drop consumed but that officer was right in my face through the rolled down window. Any amount consumed beyond a drink or two will probably register on the scent test and you'll be asked to exit the car just the same.
My experience, too, at least the right in the face part.

I was pulled over (I was not even in my Porsche) once after leaving a restaurant. Officer got right in my face. I knew what he was up to.

He asked me if I had been drinking. I had had a cocktail or a glass of wine -- I forget which now -- before dinner. But I said 'no'. He said something like "whew the smell is very strong."

I think trying to trip me up.

I pointed out I had just eaten at a Japanese restaurant and consumed some rather spicy food.

He turned and walked away.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:43 AM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Skibum
Any officer that is using speed detection equipment actively will always win.
What the detector will do is protect you from lazy officers that leave the unit on all the time.
Not quite so far in officer's favor. Frequently the instant-ON folks will be hitting the targets in front of you, even if those vehicles are a couple tenths of a mile ahead of you - your detector will go off. This has happened numerous times with me and those bike cops using the instant-ON and I've been saved by my V1.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:46 AM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by buddy911t
If your going to drive a 911 at 65mph you might as well drive a Prius.

I say pick your spots,(very light traffic of coarse), be vigilant, and get a good detector. It's always going to be a cat and mouse game but you can't let them crush your Porsche spirit.
+1 go drive a Prius. Makes no sense to have a car like this and drive it like an econo-box.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:28 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by yemenmocha
+1 go drive a Prius. Makes no sense to have a car like this and drive it like an econo-box.
my god are you guys dense?

What is the point of cruising at 85mph on the highway? Do you really get such a thrill out of that? Is that exciting to you?

to me, if you're not doing 100+ (at which point no radar will save you) or doing some corner carving, I may as well drive at or near the speed limit.

Also, If I speed, I don't whine if I get tickets.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:11 AM
Skibum
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He does all his whining here...
Old 04-10-2012, 10:32 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

He does all his whining here...
hey, i heard they make a whole car condom. Might protect from errant chips from NJ gasjockeys. You should look into it
Old 04-10-2012, 01:44 PM
sullivas
Rennlist Member

For those of you who have detectors, where do you put them and what does the Trooper say if/when he sees it? I would think if it is visible it is a guarantee you will get a ticket.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:48 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Burnt up one of my nine Carrera lives last week on a 100+ miles drive thru some rural back roads. Was passing a large semi that was behind another semi... they were doing 50-55 on a 65mph road. As I was trying to pass the 1st semi he decided to speed up to the semi in front of him and close me out... with oncoming traffic coming far enough in the distant I decided to WOT instead of brake. Next thing I know the car hit 118mph. Wife asked how fast I was going. Told her over a hundred... there are somethings left better unsaid in marriage.

These cars are not only fast but spooky quick getting there. Lucky for me deputy dog was not on that section of the hwy. Just have to mind my passing speed next time... I know that would have been a case of incarceration for both the car and I... likely a visit from Dog the Bounty hunter and my attorney. So lesson learned w/o adjudication this time.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:55 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by sullivas
For those of you who have detectors, where do you put them and what does the Trooper say if/when he sees it? I would think if it is visible it is a guarantee you will get a ticket.
Right under the rear view mirror. I have it hardwired to the dome light. I simply remove it with the suction cup as a whole unit if pulled over. Hard wire is tucked behind the mirror so not really noticeable by LEO. Agree that a RADAR detector will typically = a speeding ticket even thought they are legal here.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:00 PM
Skibum
Banned

I have mine on the hump between the rear seats.
Can't stand the look of it on the dash.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:38 PM
cuttinsod
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I have mine on the hump between the rear seats.
Can't stand the look of it on the dash.
Huh?
Old 04-10-2012, 03:43 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by sullivas
My V1 is suction cupped to the windshield way up top (with the unit just under the tinted border) just a bit left of center of the steering wheel.

The Garmin NAV unit is suction cupped up there between the V1 and the rear view mirror.

I've been pulled over maybe 4 to 6 times with the V1 in the car and its presence has not been an issue save one time.

One time in fact when I was pulled over on I-20 as a result of the police officer mistaking my Boxster for the speeding car I told the officer I had a radar detector in the car and knew he was up ahead over a mile before I got to his 'hiding' spot.

The one time the radar detector became something of an issue was when I was pulled over at Williams AZ for failure to signal properly.

I was so tired I was using the on-board computer stalk of my Turbo as the turn signal stalk and of course there was no turn signal function. The AZ state trooper pulled me over and made a big deal out of having me demo the blinkers worked.

'course, the stop woke me up and I grabbed the turn signal and of course the blinkers worked. I did tell him was very tired and was leaving the freeway to pull over and rest.

He didn't give me a ticket only a warning.

But he mentioned both V1 and the NAV unit saying that they were located in an illegal position. The only two legal areas are the lower left hand corner of the windshield or the lower right hand corner.

I made an attempt to point out that the units were mounted up high and in fact interfered not one whit with my ability to see out of the car and in fact the sun visor when down covered more glass and down lower than the two units combined.

But the officer would have none of this and got a mite testy. Mentioned that he could confiscate one or both units if I failed to comply.

So I removed the V1 and I relocated the NAV unit down low on the left side.

Once I crossed the AZ/NM state line though the units went right back up where I had them before I got pulled over.

However, I do remember when I pass through AZ to use the V1's sunvisor mount and put the V1 on the passenger's sunvisor, and I put the NAV unit on the seat next to me. I really don't need it but I like having in the car for just in case.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:21 PM
Skibum
Banned

Originally Posted by cuttinsod
Huh?
Does what I need it to do.
Try it you would be surprised... maybe having no top helps.

Quick Reply: FFS... another speeding ticket...