Sponsored by:

FFS... another speeding ticket...

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 09:16 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jkw911
Correct answer. Answering "yes" gives the officer probable cause to conduct a field sobriety test.
Well, if you are not driving over the limit, there isn't much of an issue with such a test, right?

While if you answer no and the officer thinks they smell hooch on you then your likley in for a more rigerous sobriety test. Lying to the police generally doesn't pay off in the long run.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:19 PM
csorrows
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Minok
Lying to the police generally doesn't pay off in the long run.
People lie to the cops all the time.

"Do you know why I stopped you?"
Wrong answer: Yes, you stopped me for speeding.
Right answer: I'm sorry, officer, I don't.

"Do you know how fast you were going?"
Wrong answer: Yes, 82 in a 65.

"Where were you driving to so fast?"
Wrong answer: I'm about to miss the start of Game of Thrones.
Right answer: I'm running late for my three-year-old's birthday party, which I missed the last two years because I was out of town on business trips.

I provide these examples for educational purposes only. I would NEVER lie to the cops myself :fingerscrossed:
Old 04-11-2012, 01:01 PM
PCC
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Heres a better idea...slow the F down.

best part...its free
You're ridiculous. Any 911 is completely safe driving 90 mph on the highway assuming light traffic. If you buy a P car and never utilize and appreciate the power and handling you are simply wasting your money or just playing a status game (ie, look at my expensive car, I'm better than you).

I bought mine to drive. I am responsible but routinely exceed the speed limit when I can do so safely. You should sell your P car and buy a Honda Accord.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:24 PM
Fin Fever
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by csorrows

Right answer: I'm running late for my three-year-old's birthday party, which I missed the last two years because I was out of town on business trips.

I provide these examples for educational purposes only. I would NEVER lie to the cops myself :fingerscrossed:

I don't lie and it pays off. The last timeI got pulled over for sliding around a right turn, the officer asked me a question which would have tempted me to lie. He said, "Hi doc, you were going pretty fast there (I was in scrubs), are you on your way to an emergency?" I would have been tempted to say yes, because he might let me off the hook in that case. "I answered, no I was on my way to pick up my daughter from school, and that looked like a fun corner to take at speed." He replied, "Just be careful ok? and slow it down" He did not issue a ticket.

I am full of flaws, but at least I am not a liar.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:07 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Telling the cop you didn't know how fast you were going when he asks you is -- if it is the truth or not -- is very likely to get you a ticket.

This is an admission you were not paying attention to your driving.

A better answer -- though chances are in a Porsche you're still going to get a ticket -- to the question: "Do you know how fast you were going?" is: "Five mph over the limit. I was keeping up with traffic."

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:10 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,161 Likes on 761 Posts

This is of course you assuming the cop actually believes what you are saying. Its not their first time at a speeders window. Sometimes pleasant honesty and gentle pleading is best.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:20 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,425 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by PCC
You're ridiculous. Any 911 is completely safe driving 90 mph on the highway assuming light traffic. If you buy a P car and never utilize and appreciate the power and handling you are simply wasting your money or just playing a status game (ie, look at my expensive car, I'm better than you).

I bought mine to drive. I am responsible but routinely exceed the speed limit when I can do so safely. You should sell your P car and buy a Honda Accord.
wow, you deduced a lot of things there david copperfield.

1. Just about any car produced today is safe to drive at 90mph. A 911 is safe to drive at 120. Now...what the blue hell does how safe a car is at 90mph have to do with the fact that if you speed, you are at risk for a ticket?

If that is your justification for speeding, I suggest you tell that to the cop the next time you get pulled over.

2. If you bought your 911 to drive 80 or even 90mph on a motorway, then perhaps you need the honda accord, which will do 90mph all day long.

3. Seems your reading comprehension is lacking, considering that I've said I speed all the time. What I don't do is whine about it.

4. If I was interested in status, why would I buy a 16 year old 993 instead of spending the same money on a 997? For the status crowd, newer is always better.

so, in short, your post is total crap, and when you assume...well, you know.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:17 PM
Minok
Drifting

Its an assumption that all of those are lies. If I get pulled over I have no idea why I got pulled over until the cop tells me. I could guess at why, but its not my place to guess. If I was doing 100+ I would know why, but for all I know I've got a tail light out or something else is wrong.

How fast was I going... not really sure. I don't stare at the speedo nor have the cruise control on most of the time.. I could give you a ballpark but as the speedo isn't precise and I don't know for sure, whats the point in me guessing. I'd give a ballpark.

Where was I going? Doesn't matter. If I'm heading home for an appointment, thats what I'm doing.

Anyway, not paying off in the long run doesn't mean it doesn't happen and provide some benefits in the occasional short term. It just means in the long run (LONG RUN) your not likely going to come out ahead by pointlessly making the jobs of our police that are trying to enforce the laws WE had our legislatures and city councils pass, more difficult.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:40 PM
Minok
Drifting

Originally Posted by PCC

Such a blanket statement isn't true. It may be safe to drive at 90 or 120 or 40 depending on the conditions and traffic.

The reason the average speed on the Autobahn in Germany is around 130kph (~81mph) is not because its mandated, but because that is what the right speed feels like in general. Slower than that and it feels like you can go faster, safely and easily. Faster than that and you start to have to work/concentrate much more and the drive gets a bit less relaxing. Thats on Germany's well maintained and well designed roads with trained and disciplined drivers (for the most part).

Here in the USA, with the much lower quality roads, and lower driving ability of the public and much worse lane discipline as well as what the law allows for drivers to do, it is not nearly as safe at comparable speeds. The speed limit isn't there just for you, its there for everyone.. including those drivers that drive 55 in a 60mph speed limit (and perfectly justifiably so).

That said, the capability of the car going fast doesn't mean its not superior to other rides and worth the money, in the 0-60mph range as well. I prefer driving it at 35mph to driving other cars at 35mph.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:31 PM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
hey, i heard they make a whole car condom. Might protect from errant chips from NJ gasjockeys. You should look into it
Ha.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:39 PM
Skibum
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rcg412
Ha.
I've spent the past 2 days looking for a valid URL...
Old 04-11-2012, 09:03 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,425 Likes on 825 Posts

http://www.carcondomstopreventagains...mumwagejackass
Old 04-11-2012, 10:12 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 679 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
V1 is the most sensitive radar out there, to drive without one is quite silly.

as of laser jammers - i do not think they are worth their money due to possibility of complications with law enforcement if they find them, but some people do use them just fine. up to you what to do.
laser jammers are not illegal - at least no more than radar detectors in those states where they are illegal i.e. Virginia.

Laser detectors, as mentioned elsewhere are useless - except to let you know you need to pull over as once it goes off, it's too late.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:23 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 136 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by E55AMG
laser jammers are not illegal - at least no more than radar detectors in those states where they are illegal i.e. Virginia.
Sorry, no. Laser jammers are illegal in Nebraska, Minnesota, Utah, California, Oklahoma, Virginia, Colorado, Illinois and Washington DC. Radar detectors are illegal only in Virginia and D.C. (and military bases) according to:

http://www.radarbusters.com/legalissuesarticle.cfm
Old 04-12-2012, 12:39 AM
Fin Fever
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Fin Fever
I don't lie and it pays off. The last timeI got pulled over for sliding around a right turn, the officer asked me a question which would have tempted me to lie. He said, "Hi doc, you were going pretty fast there (I was in scrubs), are you on your way to an emergency?" I would have been tempted to say yes, because he might let me off the hook in that case. "I answered, no I was on my way to pick up my daughter from school, and that looked like a fun corner to take at speed." He replied, "Just be careful ok? and slow it down" He did not issue a ticket.

I am full of flaws, but at least I am not a liar.
It just happened again. A policeman pulled me over and asked if I knew why. I told him that I think it is because I went sliding around that corner back there at a high rate of speed. He told me, "yes, that, plus you were doing 50 mph in a 30 mph zone, you rolled through a stop sign and you neglected to put out your turn signal for two turns." I told him I was sorry and I would be more careful in the future. No citation

If you are honest and polite with police officers, they are more apt to be lenient. I think I will slow it down for a while though, I don't want to push my luck.

Quick Reply: FFS... another speeding ticket...