service dept (parts counter) prices

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012 | 09:42 AM
partcrash
4th Gear

Default service dept (parts counter) prices

gentlemen,

first post.

acquired a 2011 turbo cab pdk car two weeks ago.

on saturday decided to go for a short drive to check out my local porsche dealer.

drive there (niiiiiiceeeee) walk in and inquire about the service/parts department as it appears i need wipers (it was raining and i noticed some streaking on the windshield). i am informed that the porsche parts/service is closed on saturday, but i can buy most parts from the audi parts counter which is open. i dont think much of it, pay $84 + tax and go home.

since this is my first porsche i decide to get a feel about how retail vs. online oem prices go so look up the wipers (oem part number). it appears that i can have them for about $40 + shipping. fine. as expected.

what i do notice though is that msrp on wipers is $59. i check a few other places and msrp appears to be $59. so... the local dealer sold me a part (not an accessory which are marked up everywhere) at about 50% markup.

is that typical porsche dealer doing? i have had many high end cars and i have always been charged msrp (or less) at the parts counter except when dealing with brand merchandise or accessories (100% or more markup)

thank you
Old 04-02-2012 | 09:49 AM
Barn996
Race Director

Can't speak for all dealers, but my local dealer is always in the 'gouge' mode concerning parts pricing.
Old 04-02-2012 | 09:58 AM
nkelley
Instructor

gaudin porsche has the best prices that I've seen thus far. Approx 40% off std porsche list. customer service is excellent. NK
Old 04-02-2012 | 10:02 AM
Spokane5150
Banned

I paid $42.00 from Sun Coast Parts but got nailed with a $15 delivery charge. I think if you bundle with some other stuff then you'll see substantial savings. Also, most of the dealerships provide a 10-20% discount if you're a Porsche Club Member.
Old 04-03-2012 | 12:16 AM
Yet anothercrisis
Racer

I have ordered some leather bits for the interior as well as the clear marker lights for my 2012 997 C2S. I order from Suncoast and have found them to be as reasonable as the Porsche world gets. While that is not generally reasonable, it is within the realm of "about what I expected since I am buying for a Porsche"
Old 04-03-2012 | 01:08 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Default Wiper blades...

Not to hijack the thread... but unabashidly hijacking the thread, what options are there for aftermarket wiper blades? I see that Rainex has replacements. Anybody use these? They are after all just, err... wiper blades. Thoughts?
Old 04-03-2012 | 08:53 AM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

I've been using Costco's $9 Goodyear blades with no problems on all my cars.
I'm a cheap SOB.
Old 04-03-2012 | 08:58 AM
Frino
Pro

Originally Posted by partcrash
since this is my first porsche i decide to get a feel about how retail vs. online oem prices go so look up the wipers (oem part number). it appears that i can have them for about $40 + shipping. fine. as expected.

what i do notice though is that msrp on wipers is $59. i check a few other places and msrp appears to be $59. so... the local dealer sold me a part (not an accessory which are marked up everywhere) at about 50% markup.
Consider this a very inexpensive lesson on buying parts at the dealer...whether it's $80 wiper blades, $600 for one rear PS2 or $25 for one spark plug, the dealer's parts counter (whether buying direct or through the P-Dealer service department) is always a big rip-off.
Old 04-03-2012 | 12:49 PM
csorrows
Instructor

Holy crap!

For $80, a set of wiper blades better make the Porsche logo in the rainwater as they swipe it across.
Old 04-03-2012 | 01:30 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

gentlemen,

first post.

on saturday decided to go for a short drive to check out my local porsche dealer.

drive there (niiiiiiceeeee) walk in and inquire about the service/parts department as it appears i need wipers (it was raining and i noticed some streaking on the windshield). i am informed that the porsche parts/service is closed on saturday, but i can buy most parts from the audi parts counter which is open. i dont think much of it, pay $84 + tax and go home.

is that typical porsche dealer doing? i have had many high end cars and i have always been charged msrp (or less) at the parts counter except when dealing with brand merchandise or accessories (100% or more markup)

thank you
Join the PCA, delaerships usually give 15 - 20% of parts and labor.
Old 04-03-2012 | 05:01 PM
Macster
Race Director

gentlemen,

first post.

thank you
Two things:

1) Join PCA and at the various dealers I do business with I get a discount with my PCA membership.

2) My dealer contacts tell me PCNA uses expensive shippers to supply the dealers with the parts they order. Some dealers pass this cost on the customer, and some eat it, or most of it. The dealer you spoke of I suspect does not eat the cost.

For lower parts prices I think it will require PCNA to make a deal with 1 or 2 shippers to get better pricing and then pass this savings on to dealers which hopefully will pass it on to their customers.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 04-03-2012 | 05:11 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macster
Two things:

1) Join PCA and at the various dealers I do business with I get a discount with my PCA membership.

2) My dealer contacts tell me PCNA uses expensive shippers to supply the dealers with the parts they order. Some dealers pass this cost on the customer, and some eat it, or most of it. The dealer you spoke of I suspect does not eat the cost.

For lower parts prices I think it will require PCNA to make a deal with 1 or 2 shippers to get better pricing and then pass this savings on to dealers which hopefully will pass it on to their customers.

Sincerely,

Macster.

I suspect the shipper excuse is BS & ADM (additional dealer markup) there is a PCNA regional parts warehouse in Ontario CA & I have the option of getting a part the next day with shipping charge or in a couple days with no shipping charge.
Old 04-03-2012 | 09:13 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Many of us here on Rennlist use either Sunset (Oregon) or SunCoast (FL) for discounted Porsche prices.

Even with the 10% PCA discount at your local place all that will do it negate the sales tax.
Old 04-03-2012 | 10:12 PM
ajayabb
Rennlist Member

Called for pricing for a set of front brake pads at my local stealership. Got a quote of 250 bucks versus 150 at Suncoast and Pelican Parts
Old 04-04-2012 | 01:35 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Originally Posted by csorrows
Holy crap!

For $80, a set of wiper blades better make the Porsche logo in the rainwater as they swipe it across.
Those were the billeted wiper with gold lettering... JK.

I just got a set of stock wipers for $42 from Suncoast. http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...ode=997S_wiper

Quick Reply: service dept (parts counter) prices