XKR vs 997

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 03:43 PM
Raron
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XKR vs 997

Anyone Considered XKR?
So I've been shopping for a new toy for a while now. I was looking at M6, GT3, Vantage and XKR. I almost got a GT3 but backed out of the deal.

I ended up disqualifying the M6 because although it is a fabulous car with an incredible engine I've never too much cared for the rear-end. The Vantage had a terrible ride except for the 11' which is more than I want to spend. Also for the $80k budget it would be an 08' so out of warranty.

Then I drove an 11' XKR... Wow, that car is a beast. You can definitely tell it has 510hp and 461 lb-ft torque. It also has that classic coupe shape with aggressive rear haunches like a crouching cat. From the rear the fenders and highly flat hatch definitely has presence. Great organic shape that will only be more nasty lowered on some nice wheels.

So... I'm about to pull the trigger on a black 11' XKR. Then I noticed the same dealer happens to have an 11' 911S in white for about the same price but the 911 has 12k miles whereas the XKR has 1k and would be a new car (so I get to go to the "R" Academy etc). I began to consider this 911S. I've always thought dark colors accentuate the 911 best but the white is clean. But I'm digressing. Comparing these two here are my thoughts:

Rarity:
XKR. Likely a ratio of 1 to 15 at least. Do a search for 2010+ XKR vs 2010+ 911. Even the plain XK is more rare

Driver Involvement:
911. 6speed, lower, lighter, steering firmer etc. XKR paddle shift trans while not sequential is an awesome tranny and has rec'd lots of praise.

Sound:
XKR. If you've never heard one with an exhaust you need to

Looks:
XKR by a nose. Stock for stock the XKR seems to have more presence. But a lowered 911 with those fenders fights back. But the XKR's long wide presence squatting on wheels will be nasty as well.

Power:

XKR. Torque everywhere

Practicality:
911. I think the back seats might be bigger on 911 and could even fit a child seat? In case we end up having a brat. Also gets better gas mileage

Luxury:
XKR

Modability:
XKR by a nose. 911 definitely has a larger aftermarket. However, the supercharged XKR only needs a pulley, ECU, exhaust to add another 100hp to already super potent 510hp. Takes much more to add power to 911 but you do have a larger aftermarket

Resale:
Tie. Normally it is 911 particularly from new. In this case the XKR has already taken the hit yet it is technically still a new car. Also the 10'+ cars will hold even stronger than the older cars due to the new gen motor and increased rarity.

Seems based upon my personal opinions the XKR has the higher score. But driver involvement and practicality are no trivial areas...

So what are your thoughts? Particularly you .2 S owners?
Old 03-31-2012, 04:03 PM
Palmbeacher
Banned

My thoughts are you must really have money burning a hole in your pocket if you're trying to decide between such vastly different cars. If you were comparing a new 991 with an XKR I might understand it better, because the 991 has more of the luxury-touring accoutrements and feel than a 997, and especially you're talking a proper manual gearbox in that Porsche vs an automatic with paddle flippers in the XKR.

And I completely don't understand your remarks on resale. My price-check on a 10 yr old Porsche and a 10 yr old XK shows the latter far behind and still dropping like a mothbitten parachute.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:22 PM
Raron
Instructor

I was originally also looking at Viper SRT10 coupe and GTR. I've had a Viper GTS and I loved the torque, fat rubber and wild looks. I've also had a Lotus Elise before my last car a Z4 M Coupe. However, this time I also wanted a quality interior and a ride that didn't quite beat you up. The GTR is nice but way too big.

I've had a 993 and 3 NSX's, Elise, etc. The NSX felt far more "sports car" like than my 993. I owned them both at the same time. When I got in the 911 it felt more whats the word... shall we say pedestrian. It was upgright like you sat on the car instead of in it. The NSX felt low, wide, roof right over your head like you smushed in a full blown exotic like a Lambo or Ferrari. 993 also had very long throws which also made you feel like you're in some normal car rather than a purpose built racer. Of course it did have good grip though.

I used to absolutely require a manual trans. In fact if I get the XKR it will be my first auto/paddle car. I'm trying not to be closed minded. I may miss rowing my own gears but I can always go back. Looking for a toy that makes me smile to drive, look at, hear etc. And am wanting good quality as well. The XKR is definitely not as focused as a 911. But if I get it I assure you when I lower it and put fatter rubber it will look the business. They look aggressive even stock. So I'm cross shopping because I've had many pure sportscars and I love all cars for the various character and qualities they bring.

Regarding resale that is true about the XKR fall especially the last gen. Particularly because the last gen was still based upon the XJ platform which is a dinosaur. I was comparing the current generation. 07's and 08's are still in the 40's and 50's very similar to 911's. The 10+ should hold even stronger due to 5.0 with 100 extra hp.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:10 PM
deijmaster
Advanced

M6 = fat
XKR = Short life
Old 03-31-2012, 09:23 PM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 111 Posts

911....its a no brainer given your choices.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:50 PM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

When I see an XKR I tend to feel bad for the owner as the Porsche is a much better car.

You forgot to mention the 4000 lb curb weight of the XKR.

I personally don't care for the looks. If I felt the need to get away from the 911 I'd consider a Vantage. I also like the Z4M but haven't driven one. I assume you think the ride was too rough for everyday use?
Old 03-31-2012, 10:23 PM
fc2s
Advanced

Recently looked at both and decided to go with my first 911...
Old 03-31-2012, 10:30 PM
Gleek48
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was planning out in advance and am thinking an XKR Cab might make a nice weekend car with the family - in addition to a 991.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:04 PM
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

My god man you are in two different worlds and not comparing apples to apples! Just make up your mind and live with it!
Old 03-31-2012, 11:35 PM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 111 Posts

Porsche 911 is the world's best sports car all round. The Veyron, F458, MP4-12C, and the Lambos are in a different league of super cars. You are comparing a bunch of GT cars to 911. I don't know why you even considered a GT3 bcos thats typically a second P-car for extreme fun including tracking.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:02 AM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Raron
Anyone Considered XKR?
So I've been shopping for a new toy for a while now. I was looking at M6, GT3, Vantage and XKR. I almost got a GT3 but backed out of the deal.

I ended up disqualifying the M6 because although it is a fabulous car with an incredible engine I've never too much cared for the rear-end. The Vantage had a terrible ride except for the 11' which is more than I want to spend. Also for the $80k budget it would be an 08' so out of warranty.

Then I drove an 11' XKR... Wow, that car is a beast. You can definitely tell it has 510hp and 461 lb-ft torque. It also has that classic coupe shape with aggressive rear haunches like a crouching cat. From the rear the fenders and highly flat hatch definitely has presence. Great organic shape that will only be more nasty lowered on some nice wheels.

So... I'm about to pull the trigger on a black 11' XKR. Then I noticed the same dealer happens to have an 11' 911S in white for about the same price but the 911 has 12k miles whereas the XKR has 1k and would be a new car (so I get to go to the "R" Academy etc). I began to consider this 911S. I've always thought dark colors accentuate the 911 best but the white is clean. But I'm digressing. Comparing these two here are my thoughts:

Rarity:
XKR. Likely a ratio of 1 to 15 at least. Do a search for 2010+ XKR vs 2010+ 911. Even the plain XK is more rare

Driver Involvement:
911. 6speed, lower, lighter, steering firmer etc. XKR paddle shift trans while not sequential is an awesome tranny and has rec'd lots of praise.

Sound:
XKR. If you've never heard one with an exhaust you need to

Looks:
XKR by a nose. Stock for stock the XKR seems to have more presence. But a lowered 911 with those fenders fights back. But the XKR's long wide presence squatting on wheels will be nasty as well.

Power:

XKR. Torque everywhere

Practicality:
911. I think the back seats might be bigger on 911 and could even fit a child seat? In case we end up having a brat. Also gets better gas mileage

Luxury:
XKR

Modability:
XKR by a nose. 911 definitely has a larger aftermarket. However, the supercharged XKR only needs a pulley, ECU, exhaust to add another 100hp to already super potent 510hp. Takes much more to add power to 911 but you do have a larger aftermarket

Resale:
Tie. Normally it is 911 particularly from new. In this case the XKR has already taken the hit yet it is technically still a new car. Also the 10'+ cars will hold even stronger than the older cars due to the new gen motor and increased rarity.

Seems based upon my personal opinions the XKR has the higher score. But driver involvement and practicality are no trivial areas...

So what are your thoughts? Particularly you .2 S owners?
You seem to be sold on the XKR and want confirmation of your decision. Go ask the question on an XKR forum and get the confirmation you're looking for. Purchase car. Kick self for long period of time till you can dump it. Buy Porsche-the real better choice.

See you back here in a year.

Rare? The XKR is more rare not because they are not obtainable. It's because more people choose not to have them.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:53 AM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

This is an interesting thread because (despite what some serious enthusiasts might think) it shows the way consumers shop this market. Very rarely are consumers stone cold logical in thier analysis. That's totally OK- just helpful to recognize it. Buying a car is an emotional decision and even if we try to reason it out the reasoning is sometimes less than logical. Comparing a 911 to an XKR is like apples and oranges to some but to Raron it's not. In the greater sense these are both sporty cars so why shouldn't he compare.

Raron, you seem like you're a straightline power guy since you mention power as one of your factors... traditionally a 911 is more about cornering performance and track times rather than drag racing. I think you should buy the car you love the most (as long as there are no dealbreakers- I don't see you mention any) and don't second guess yourself. Again you can try to rationalize the decision by analyzing every factor but I think you'll find that is going to be difficult or impossible because the factors you mention (except for the test-able factors like power) are difficult or impossible to quantify.

Also.. gas mileage? really? wha..?
Old 04-01-2012, 12:34 PM
CBejbl
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Life is short. Try something new (XKR). If it ends up not being what you hope, you can always come back to a 911.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:37 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,385 Likes on 804 Posts

buy the one you prefer after driving them.

You are posting on a board of people who think the 911 is the best car ever made.

They've probably never driven an XJR and think it sucks because its not a 911.

XJRs are awesome if you ask me.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:44 PM
deijmaster
Advanced

Originally Posted by 997_rich
This is an interesting thread because (despite what some serious enthusiasts might think) it shows the way consumers shop this market. Very rarely are consumers stone cold logical in thier analysis. That's totally OK- just helpful to recognize it. Buying a car is an emotional decision and even if we try to reason it out the reasoning is sometimes less than logical. Comparing a 911 to an XKR is like apples and oranges to some but to Raron it's not. In the greater sense these are both sporty cars so why shouldn't he compare.
Great comment 997_Rich... I always wonder at how people (specially journalists) want us to compare cars in the same "class" or segment. Of course these cars are really different, but bottom line, cars are cars.

I wouldn't stretch it to comparing an SUV with an F1, but still I see many customers at dealers (including Porsche) comparing the panamera with the cayenne or even wondering if the 911 could fit the bill; crazy yet very interesting.

Quick Reply: XKR vs 997