Back in a 997!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 08:39 PM
PHX 911
Official Rennlist Snake Slayer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Back in a 997!

I sold my 2006 C2S about 2 years ago, and strayed off course (pun intended) with a 2006 Z06 that I still have, but about 3 months ago started looking for another Porsche. Needs were pretty specific, yet general - 2009+, PDK, Cabriolet, S, like to have ventilated seats, chrono, and a few other goodies.
I looked and looked; talked to a few owners, some of them asking Turbo money for their S's.

Then I saw where Wolfgang1 posted this: (thanks again Wolfgang1!)
https://rennlist.com/forums/for-sale...s-pdk-cab.html

The wife and I flew to Houston Friday, bought it, and drove it back to Phoenix (1176 miles) over the next 2 days.
I must add Dave, the seller, is an awesome guy, and had the car perfectly prepped for our trip. Car was represented accurately, and no suprises or issues of any sort. We did the deal in about 1 1/2 hrs. and were on our way!

First goal was to get to Fort Stockton that night, which was 500 miles or so. Went smoothly until about 8:30 p.m., hit a truck tire tread that was laying on it's side across my entire lane on I10. Swerved, but not in time to miss it. It knocked the front splitter loose on the right side, and yanked out the clips of the trim piece just in front of the rear tire. Bought some duct tape at a truck stop, and taped them up for the rest of the ride home. My wife got a real kick out of that, and I think she posted on Fbook the pic of duct tape on my new to me car...
I fixed both yesterday, and it could have been a lot worse.

Struck out Saturday morning for the remaining 660 miles, and got to Phoenix about 4:30 p.m. Thanks Texas for having 80 mph speed limits in rural areas. We made some really good time that morning!

Some comments about the car - it's awesome! Nice thing about the swerve trying to miss the tire, was it reminded me of how these cars handle. I had the cruise set at 90, made an extreme maneuver (car killed the cruise), and it handled the misdirection like a go cart.
Averaged 23.5 mpg for the trip - alot of it with the cruise set to 90, thanks again to Texas speed limits. Another thing about Texas that's big, is the bugs. Some of them were like hitting cherry tomatoes!
Car burnt zero oil - nada, none. I would have expected at least some, as there was some spirited driving on occaision. Dave, the seller, had put a quart in the frunk in case I needed it. Awesome gesture and thoughtfulness that thankfully wasn't needed.

I spent most of Saturday night in the hot tub, as this old body can't do Cannonball Runs like I used to..

So here's the obligatory pictures of the front of the car when I got home, my duct tape repair that had come loose after 660 miles, and the ultimate in sacrilege----sharing the garage with a Chevy!!

Nice to be back!
Attached Images    
Old 03-26-2012, 09:11 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

It looks a very nice car....enjoy and congratulations. Somewhat a unique colour.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:34 PM
Tito_gsx
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats....I'm a big fan of z06's, how do you compare that to pcar?
Old 03-27-2012, 05:47 PM
mzn50
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

We were looking at that car.. my wife and I and loved it.. was just a little too much to bring into Canada.. that's a beautiful car and smoking colour combo... congrats !!..

Better pressure wash those bugs off...!
Old 03-27-2012, 06:30 PM
pewter82
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice Stable of cars !
Old 03-27-2012, 07:25 PM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

Beautiful addition to the stable. Best of luck with your new 997.

Mark
Old 03-27-2012, 08:50 PM
PHX 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tito_gsx
Congrats....I'm a big fan of z06's, how do you compare that to pcar?
First, thanks to all of you that expressed congrats.

Tito, it's difficult to draw exact comparison between the 2 cars, as they are about as different as can be. One a raw, front engine pushrod monster, and the other a rear engined, highly refined sports car, but they do what each does very well.

One reason for the Z06 is I live 10 miles from Bondurant, and took their Z06 driving school. The Z06 on a track is an amazing car, but you also learn that driving it to it's potential is impossible anywhere but the track. I don't care to endanger my license or other people, so won't drive the Porsche to its potential, either, at least on the street.

There's not too many vehicles that are more polarizing to people than these two are, as owners of each are quick to defend their choice. I think alot of that is due to the heritage these cars have of being icons of their respective brand since the 50's. For me, I like experiencing different cars, and appreciate most all of them. Yes, I'd love to have a R8, and a GT-R, and a .....

Straight line performance #'s are weighted heavily in the Z06's favor, but when it comes to cornering, the Porsche loves to turn, if that makes sense. On a track, the Z06 wants to stay in a straight line, and feels a little more reluctant on turn ins. It has exceptional grip, yet will slide the front on turn in, and the rear with too much pedal on exit, but you have to really throw it to lose any control.

Over quality of the vehicle - there's no comparison, which should be expected at the premium you pay for the Porsche. The Z06 interior (and I have the highest optional interior they offered in 2006), is cheap, cheap, cheap. Seats don't hold you well, rattles, noises, fitment.....the crusie control is the same stem I had in my 99 Suburban. The Porsche is exquisite materials and craftsmanship.

To come up with a lame meataphor, the Z06 is like that somewhat skanky girl that has a great body, and late Saturday evening, you hook up. Your not sure what you're in for, but you know it will be a good ride.
The Porsche is that great looking gal that you have to ask out a couple times before she says yes, but you don't mind introducing her to Mom & Dad.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:07 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by PHX 911
First, thanks to all of you that expressed congrats.

Tito, it's difficult to draw exact comparison between the 2 cars, as they are about as different as can be. One a raw, front engine pushrod monster, and the other a rear engined, highly refined sports car, but they do what each does very well.

One reason for the Z06 is I live 10 miles from Bondurant, and took their Z06 driving school. The Z06 on a track is an amazing car, but you also learn that driving it to it's potential is impossible anywhere but the track. I don't care to endanger my license or other people, so won't drive the Porsche to its potential, either, at least on the street.

There's not too many vehicles that are more polarizing to people than these two are, as owners of each are quick to defend their choice. I think alot of that is due to the heritage these cars have of being icons of their respective brand since the 50's. For me, I like experiencing different cars, and appreciate most all of them. Yes, I'd love to have a R8, and a GT-R, and a .....

Straight line performance #'s are weighted heavily in the Z06's favor, but when it comes to cornering, the Porsche loves to turn, if that makes sense. On a track, the Z06 wants to stay in a straight line, and feels a little more reluctant on turn ins. It has exceptional grip, yet will slide the front on turn in, and the rear with too much pedal on exit, but you have to really throw it to lose any control.

Over quality of the vehicle - there's no comparison, which should be expected at the premium you pay for the Porsche. The Z06 interior (and I have the highest optional interior they offered in 2006), is cheap, cheap, cheap. Seats don't hold you well, rattles, noises, fitment.....the crusie control is the same stem I had in my 99 Suburban. The Porsche is exquisite materials and craftsmanship.

To come up with a lame meataphor, the Z06 is like that somewhat skanky girl that has a great body, and late Saturday evening, you hook up. Your not sure what you're in for, but you know it will be a good ride.The Porsche is that great looking gal that you have to ask out a couple times before she says yes, but you don't mind introducing her to Mom & Dad.

I bet your wife's not over your shoulder when typing this....lol
Old 03-27-2012, 09:35 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,273 Likes on 586 Posts

Really nice cab. Well done on huntin' 'im down and draggin' 'em back home! Interior pics?
Old 03-27-2012, 10:39 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

wow, congrats! love the color combo.

the Vette ain't bad either
Old 03-27-2012, 10:52 PM
997silver
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice ride. I like to try the skank , I mean the zo6 one time. Lol
Old 03-28-2012, 12:49 AM
PHX 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Zeus993
Really nice cab. Well done on huntin' 'im down and draggin' 'em back home! Interior pics?
Here's a few shots. The pics in the ad are better, though.
Seats are heated (don't need) and ventilated (really need with dark interior in pizza oven). Color is Cocoa Natural Leather.
Attached Images   
Old 03-28-2012, 12:54 AM
PHX 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 997silver
Nice ride. I like to try the skank , I mean the zo6 one time. Lol
Most excellent first post, welcome!
Old 03-28-2012, 01:07 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had a full up Z 06 with coil overs and the whole Pro-Tec engine build. High 500's at the wheels. Dumping that car was the second worse thing I've ever done in screwing with cars. You want "raw and visceral" that is the pic in the book.

Sorry for the hijack, very nice car. I love Porsche Cabs! And you're in the best place for night cruising down the road, cool (or warm) wind in my hair.

Be Well
Old 03-28-2012, 01:26 AM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

To come up with a lame meataphor, the Z06 is like that somewhat skanky girl that has a great body, and late Saturday evening, you hook up. Your not sure what you're in for, but you know it will be a good ride.
The Porsche is that great looking gal that you have to ask out a couple times before she says yes, but you don't mind introducing her to Mom & Dad.
I like your metaphor. I might take it a little further and say that you might want to dump the Z06 after you're done having fun with her because she's really going to show her age after awhile. On the other hand, the Porsche is going to look young and refined no matter how old she gets.

Kirstie Alley versus Michelle Pfeiffer, perhaps?

Quick Reply: Back in a 997!