Sponsored by:

DIY Mod: IPD Plenum

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 07:34 PM
BogdanR
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
All very good questions... in my case I'm too far down the road to validate the specifics of just the IPD mod. Cooler weather is around the corner so I'll dyno the car soon but it will include the total of a complete FVD 70mm exhaust system(long pipe headers, 200 cell cats, muffler, tips) and ECU remap mods. Hoping to see 20-25hp+...
OK my friend... the suspense is killing me... Did you ever get this dyno done? And the results... Good?... Bad?... Ugly?!!?

I'm just curious nothing else... I picked up my 997.1 a week ago and I'm slowly discovering things about her I haven't actually paid for... Like an IPD plenum and an updated exhaust I yet have to identify... My discoveries are slow because I enjoy the drive WAY too much to stop and prod/ pry at all de details...

It felt different from all the 997.1 C2 I tried to begin with if I'm honest... Nothing ground-breaking but a bit more responsive especially in sport mode, with a bit more push "authority" off the line and definitely a louder, sweeter exhaust gargle (that I can't seem to get tired of, not now nor ever). All of this even before I realised there were more things done than the Fuchs and the nice, discreet Techart trim...

For a Porsche complete neophyte (which I am) all the above might sound like pure rubbish (which 95% probably is) however my engineering background and job (automotive systems development/ testing) made me extremely sensitive in feeling this sort of "off norm" changes...

The same background however heavily relies on hard data collected on tests/ trials, that's why I was curious as to why there was no follow up to this thread.

Sorry to bring up another beat up, nearly dead horse...

Last edited by BogdanR; 03-09-2014 at 11:04 PM.
Old 03-09-2014, 11:51 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by BogdanR
OK my friend... the suspense is killing me... Did you ever get this dyno done? And the results... Good?... Bad?... Ugly?!!?

I'm just curious nothing else... I picked up my 997.1 a week ago and I'm slowly discovering things about her I haven't actually paid for... Like an IPD plenum and an updated exhaust I yet have to identify... My discoveries are slow because I enjoy the drive WAY too much to stop and prod/ pry at all de details...

It felt different from all the 997.1 C2 I tried to begin with if I'm honest... Nothing ground-breaking but a bit more responsive especially in sport mode, with a bit more push "authority" off the line and definitely a louder, sweeter gargle (that I can't seem to get tired of, not now nor ever). All of this even before I realised there were more things done than the Fuchs and the nice, discreet Techart trim...

For a Porsche complete neophyte (which I am) all the above might sound like pure rubbish (which 95% probably is) however my engineering background and job (automotive systems development/ testing) made me extremely sensitive in feeling this sort of "off norm" changes...

The same background however heavily relies on hard data collected on tests/ trials, that's why I was curious as to why there was no follow up to this thread.

Sorry to bring up another beat up, nearly dead horse...
Congrats on the new ride. This is also my 1st p-car and after 3 yrs it still puts a grin on my face although I've added a few more mods along the way since the IPD plenum was installed 2 yrs ago. https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...r-carrera.html

FWIW, I did get the car dyno'd but it was not w/o issues. Although she produced 320 RWHP on a warm day... I believe that there may be another 5-15 RWHP left untapped as the 2WD dyno triggered limp mode. Apparently, our cars require an AWD dyno system. Here's a prior write-up with dyno results and explanation. https://rennlist.com/forums/11112782-post50.html Regardless of the dyno results... the car is more responsive and has more mid-range than it did in stock condition = more grin factor.

BTW, you may want to post pics of any markings on your exhaust system. Someone on the RL may recognize it for what it is... GL and enjoy the ride.
Old 03-09-2014, 11:57 PM
BogdanR
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply , much appreciated
320 RWHP on a hot day is not too bad if I'm honest...

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
BTW, you may want to post pics of any markings on your exhaust system. Someone on the RL may recognize it for what it is... GL and enjoy the ride.
I might do that at some point... but for the time being, getting inside and driving it beats the hell out of crawling under it taking pics of the exhaust :-)
Old 04-24-2014, 03:30 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We dun got em in stock and ready to roll - :-)
Old 04-24-2014, 05:53 PM
PTParks
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AP997S
28 additional ponies for less than a 1K buck is a pretty good deal. I'd have to see more data than a 'butt dyno' to throw money towards an IPD plenum.
Even if it wasn't producing the advertised 28 HP gain, with what HP costs in the Porsche community to begin with, even 10-15 HP over stock for $1K is a pretty good bargain. Why didn't Porsche design a better plenum? R&D ("hey, this'll work") and manufacturing costs (simple plastic vs cast aluminum) pure and simple.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:49 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

I've hear the theory of placing a model HP at a level so as not to compete with a more expensive model with nearly the same engine...one method
Old 04-25-2014, 12:25 PM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 43 Posts

I would believe more like 2.8 hp and 2.6 torque increases! But I agree in the incremental approach to improve these engines. A slightly better exhaust system, a slightly better intake system (including K&N filters), an ECU tweak, and maybe we can squeeze another 20-25 hp out of the stock engine. But the plenum by itself cannot do that! The IPD does look really cool but then after it is installed, no one but your mind's eye can see it! Great write up. Thanks.
Old 04-25-2014, 11:11 PM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

The IPD website says 12/14 hp/T is possible and the dyno shows it. I retract my 2.8 & 2.6 hp/t comment but I'm still skeptical! Any other installs have experience?
Old 04-25-2014, 11:31 PM
Redline911
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RobC4sX51
The IPD website says 12/14 hp/T is possible and the dyno shows it. I retract my 2.8 & 2.6 hp/t comment but I'm still skeptical! Any other installs have experience?
I had the Plenum installed last week. My shop did the break in procedure (per my request.) There was a noticeable difference on my drive home. The car absolutely pulled from 4k to 7k quicker and more smoothly. It caught me by surprise on the first few pulls, had to adjust and shift sooner. Other than a Fister exhaust I drove the car bone stock for 18 months so I think I had a good baseline to compare to. I considered doing a before & after dyno, but honestly I really don't care if it gave me 5, 10, or 15 HP. It did make a difference, and that's what matters. So is it 28hp, no......but I believe 10-15. I'm a satisfied customer.
Old 04-26-2014, 02:10 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

FWIW, I recall feeling more pull in the mid-range after I installed the IPD plenum a few years ago... before all my other mods. It's a fairly inexpensive and easy initial mod. I've since gone with the competition plenum and GT3 TB.
Old 04-26-2014, 08:13 AM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I have the 82mm IPD plenum + TB, full Fabspeed exhaust and competition intake so there are a lot of variables involved. My sphincter is not calibrated so I'll have to wait for the post-dyno results but I would expect to see an improvement.
Old 04-26-2014, 10:03 AM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys. I will get back with my experience after install
Old 04-14-2016, 03:23 AM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

Received 71 Likes on 49 Posts

Just realized this in in my car...........
Old 04-14-2016, 09:35 AM
Blue Chip
Burning Brakes

I don't know that I really felt any difference... I already had an EVOMS intake, and an exhaust. Added the plenum later... it didn't hurt - but not sure of the gains.
Old 04-14-2016, 10:07 AM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I changed back to the 74mm IPD plenum. I also have headers, sport cat, and non-stock mufflers. The difference between the before and after dyno was like 33hp and 34ftlbs torque. There are a few more factors to muddy the waters 1) different dynos and 2) a professional custom tune but those numbers should be representative of expected returns from the above mods. To what extent the plenum played - who knows.

Quick Reply: DIY Mod: IPD Plenum