997 to 991: Guards Red or GT?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 10:23 PM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 111 Posts
Default 997 to 991: Guards Red or GT?

Finally ordered my 991s

After an extended drive in a stock 991S I decided to opt for almost all performance options except for PDCC. The stock car with PASM handled so well, I didnt think I wanted more gizmos to stabilize the car. The stock exhaust sounds so great and I can only imagine how the PSE sounds.

Also, opted for PDK bcos it was so greatto drive and shifting was a blast. Unquestionably, it is a great car and all 911 all the way. When I got back in 997.1 Targa 4S 6M, it wasnt a big stepdown either. Certainly I have mixed emotions about trading it in, bcos I know I will miss somethings about it.

Here is the build:
991S
Guards Red with wheels in black
Full leather deviated red stitching
Sports Chrono
Sports design steering
PDK
Premium pckge with adaptive sports seat +
sports PASM
PSE
Sun Roof (doesnt hurt - it is there when u need some sun)
Elect mirrors
Burmester

I am still a little undecided about the color: I am seriously considering GT Silver with wheels in black as opposed Guards Red with black wheels.

Comments and input are welcome from fellow rennlisters!!
Old 03-11-2012, 10:59 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Silver or Black Porsche = all too common

Red Porsche with red stitching = sweet!
Old 03-11-2012, 11:13 PM
vman4639
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a seal grey 911 - I REALLY wanted that color when I was looking. I wanted something a little understated - I thought the fact that it was a 911 spoke loud enough.

I still really like the color - I think there is a lot of depth to it. However, the next 911 is going to have more character. Now that I have a 911, I am more of the opinion that it's a crazy nice sports car - so why not have some fun with it.

As a kid I loved Guards Red, but I don't love it on the 997 (have not seen it on the 991) - I do still like it on 993's. It just seems like a flat paint to me.

BUT - if you like the red, then go for that over the silver. It's not a BMW (which I also have in grey - but my Jeep Wrangler Rubicon is red!) - get something colorful - have fun.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:17 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Get the color, YOU like best... I know it's hard, and I know seeking opinion is important,but color is VERY PERSONAL, and as you're the one paying for it, gotto make the final call.

Having said that, for re-sale, Silver moves faster, while red appeals to less buyers, consider that if that matters to you.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:25 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I viewed a 991 S in Guards Red over black this past week. It's just plain HOT in that classic color combo.

However, again, get what YOU want, not what we like.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:27 PM
PasPar2
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

while red does look good in pics, its not for everyone. I am one of those who wouldnt drive one...

GT Silver is one of my fav colors on the other hand - so my vote is for the GT Silver.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:35 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,146 Likes on 751 Posts

Any thoughts on a white exterior? I've seen a 991 in white, sharp.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:13 AM
PasPar2
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

u know... white is the new black...
Old 03-12-2012, 01:14 AM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 111 Posts

Thanks for comments. Great points. I drive Guards Red 997. Simply love it. I just like the GT Silver too. Still undecided....Any comments on opting out of the PDCC?
Old 03-12-2012, 01:24 AM
Aerokitted
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys know why real estate is crazy pricey in SF? It's because a lot of people want to live there.

You know why silver, white and black are popular colors? Because a lot of people like them.

There are good reasons why those are tried-and-true colors sell. While I can enjoy a red car, I'd definitely opt for the silver every time especially on a Porsche. Leave the bright red for the Ferrari crowd. If you want to really add spice, opt for a red interior with black dash and carbon bits here and there. That'll pop real nice.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:52 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

OP, you should test drive both colors to see what grabs you.

Originally I was looking for black or silver... a more conservative color. Was thinking along the lines of what others here have stated as well. I even approached my search for a 997 clinically. Convinced myself that color didn't matter and focused instead on spec sheets, price, CPO/warranty, options, etc. Started test driving different 997s in various colors but mainly to try different functions/features like S vs. non-S, PDK vs. manual, etc. But then I made the mistake of test driving a guards red on black 997S and it was game over. Something about that particular color just got my blood pumping... desengaged the left hemisphere of my brain and tapped into my emotional right side. After all, why get a sports car if it doesn't stir something inside you beyond HP and spec sheets.

A year later I'm so glad I took the red pill that day. Love the fact that there are so few of these on the road in guards red. To each his own but for me it's a hot blooded red head parked in my garage each night.
Old 03-12-2012, 03:21 AM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow, lots of good color advice here.

Bottom line is follow what your heart is telling you. It's a totally personal thing, and it's your thing. I believe the choice of color is very important in cars like these. I love my Riviera blue car and knew it was the one for me as soon as I saw it. There are plenty of guys who just don't see the appeal of the Rivi paint, and that's OK with me. I know I dig it and I'm the one living with the decision.

I'd pass on the Guards red myself as I already have one.

If it was me, .... I'd get a white one... I think the white makes the 991's lines kind of work. Black or Red interior...
Old 03-12-2012, 03:31 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Color is simply a personal decision and I'd go for what you like best - the hell with what anyone else thinks! And do consider a paint to sample - even if its your own personal red - best option Porsche offers and something I just have to do someday!
Old 03-12-2012, 08:28 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 474 Likes on 272 Posts

Tooooooooo many silvers....................go BOLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-12-2012, 08:39 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 474 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by jcnesq
Color is simply a personal decision and I'd go for what you like best - the hell with what anyone else thinks! And do consider a paint to sample - even if its your own personal red - best option Porsche offers and something I just have to do someday!
I agree completely! My last 2 911s (counting this one were LTS (lipstick red) on my 2006 and PTS (Turquiose Blue) on my current one and I'd never go a standard color again. For $5,500 how can you not opt for a special one.

And best of all the process of finding that wonderful color is so much fun. Whether Porsche will paint it is another challenge but part of the excitement in my view. Also now that I have a non-metallic color I'd never go with a metallic one again.

PTS is a wonderful way to go and if I ever get another it'll surely be PTS! Do it once and you'll be hooked forever!

Good Luck!

Tom

Quick Reply: 997 to 991: Guards Red or GT?