Sponsored by:

San Diego to Denver Trip Report

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 12:22 AM
Dutchie in NC
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default San Diego to Denver Trip Report

Well, yesterday I picked up the 2007 997 S that I have been posting about. I live in Denver and I bought this car from Porsche of San Diego. Following find pics and some details re the last couple of days:

I spent Wednesday through Friday early afternoon at Pebble Beach, playing golf with customers (yes, I had a pretty good week).

Third green amd 4th fairway on Spyglass;

A couple of pictures from Pebble Beach... First on eis the 18th hole at daybreak and the second one is from the teebox of the 18th hole:

On Friday afternoon, I flew from San Jose to San Diego to pick up the car. I bought the car from Porsche of San Diego. My sales manager was Chris Huck, he picked me up from the airport and I have nothing but good to say about him... class act... would HIGHLY recommend doing business with him.

We arrived at the delaership at about 6PM... first time I saw the car in person:

Car looked great; the whole sales/checkout process went quickly and around 639PM local time I drove off for my 1,000 mile trip to Vail, CO (we live in Denver but have a place in the Vail area, so that's where I was going to see my family):

I had booked a hotel in Las Vegas to spend the night... 325 miles from San Diego. I arrived after about 4 1/2 hours... sorry for the bad pic... best I could do;

I had a great night sleep, woke up at 630 and after breakfast I wrapped the car up in some heavy duty saran wrap for the second part of the trip... 650 miles from Las Vegas, to Vail, CO:

I started off with a leisurely drive down the Las Vegas Strip:

After that I made my way out... after Nevada, hit Arizona:

Some stunning scenery in the short stretch that I was in Arizona;

Utah up next:

Some nice open roads (overall I did stick much closer to the speed limit than what this pic would suggest);

Here a number of pictures from various places in Utah:

Overall, the Utah part of the drive was absolutely stunning... unbelievable scenery.

Ok, by now I am reaching the Colorado state line and we are into the home stretch:

The Colorado river in the front, with mountain ranges behind it;

Almost there... this is Mount of the Holy Cross in the background, one of the 53 14ers (14,000+ ft mountains) in Colorado... Mount of the Holy Cross is 14,009 ft... barely makes the list:

And here we are home:

Overall, observations/thoughts/facts:

LOVE the car... drives awesome, I'm happy as a kid in the candy store!!

The overall drive was about 1,000 miles (I have another 100 miles tomorrow to Denver, but won't post any pics... sorry). Driving time was about 13 hours, my average speed on the trip computer showed 74 miles/hr... I think I was a bit faster, by accident I reset the trip computer a couple of times (trying to figure out all the buttons...).

Gas mileage pretty darn good... north of 22 miles to the gallon.

If you haven't done the drive from Vegas to Colorado, please add it to your bucket list... it is an unbelievable beautiful drive... I really, really enjoyed it. I wish I could have done San Diego to Vegas during daylight, but couldn't make that work.

Hope you enjoy the pics... I am very happy to have another P-car in the garage!
Old 03-11-2012, 01:23 AM
Vancouver-BC
Instructor

Beautiful car, great pics, thanks for sharing.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:47 AM
smokestack20
Instructor

Dutchie,

Outstanding! We only go around once in life..... your doing it right!!!

Ken
Old 03-11-2012, 08:12 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Wouter,

Great pics! It sounds like it was a great week, capped off by getting your Black Beauty! Glad you are back in a Porsche...... there is no substitute!
Old 03-11-2012, 08:24 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Great write-up...and beautiful car. I've made the drive (Denver to LA and return) many times but never in the Porsche. I was worried when I saw 122 mph and the tire pressure warning but in later pictures it looks like TPC was not working - what's up with that?
Old 03-11-2012, 08:34 AM
NaviRyan
Advanced

It's a rough life you lead Dutchie...haha Golf, Porsches, ski house in Vail and a beautiful drive in between. I would know I live in Northglenn. Keep livin the dream brotha.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:54 AM
PasPar2
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

great post! glw/the new car!

Is that the "Carpet Runner" stuff on the front end? looks a bit like you put a surgical mask on the car?
Old 03-11-2012, 10:19 AM
Dutchie in NC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Great write-up...and beautiful car. I've made the drive (Denver to LA and return) many times but never in the Porsche. I was worried when I saw 122 mph and the tire pressure warning but in later pictures it looks like TPC was not working - what's up with that?
Yes, had a warning light that TPC is Inactive... need to study the manual to see if I can fix it, but probably means first trip to the local dealer... thanks for CPO
Old 03-11-2012, 10:20 AM
Dutchie in NC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PasPar2
great post! glw/the new car!

Is that the "Carpet Runner" stuff on the front end? looks a bit like you put a surgical mask on the car?
Yes, carpet runner saran wrap from the Lowes... seems to work well
Old 03-11-2012, 10:24 AM
Dutchie in NC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NaviRyan
It's a rough life you lead Dutchie...haha Golf, Porsches, ski house in Vail and a beautiful drive in between. I would know I live in Northglenn. Keep livin the dream brotha.
The last week was rather exceptional... back to the grind starting tomorrow.
Old 03-11-2012, 02:42 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Congrats Dutchie. You done good.

Enjoy your new ride.

Originally Posted by Dutchie in NC
Yes, had a warning light that TPC is Inactive... need to study the manual to see if I can fix it, but probably means first trip to the local dealer... thanks for CPO
I could be wrong, but I'm thinking you're on your own for the TPMS. The batteries inside the tires are 4 years old now, and probably the cause of the problem. I doubt the batteries are covered under CPO. You'll need 4 new sensors ($400), and all the tires dismounted, new sensors installed, then all the tires remounted and balanced ($100).

Looks like the first 1000 miles cost $500 in maintenance, or 50 cents per mile. That's about right for these cars.

Good luck, hope I'm wrong and Dr. Porsche covers the repairs.
Old 03-11-2012, 03:30 PM
SC2993
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts

Golf in Pebble Beach, p/u 997 in San Diego, spend night in Las Vegas, drive on beautiful roads to Vail in your 997. Sounds like a great weekend, do you think that work is getting in the way of your lifestyle now?

Thanks for sharing your adventure!
Old 03-11-2012, 03:56 PM
chinole
Intermediate

You weren't kidding with the blue tape, huh. It's good as you save a couple of g's...

Any alerts from the passport?

Congrats on your new car and thanks for sharing your story.

BTW, are there any openings at your work? Seems like a nice company to work in....
Old 03-11-2012, 03:58 PM
Dutchie in NC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SC2993
Golf in Pebble Beach, p/u 997 in San Diego, spend night in Las Vegas, drive on beautiful roads to Vail in your 997. Sounds like a great weekend, do you think that work is getting in the way of your lifestyle now?

Thanks for sharing your adventure!
I need work to pay for my lifestyle... guess I should have married smarter
Old 03-11-2012, 03:59 PM
Dutchie in NC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RollingArt
Congrats Dutchie. You done good.

Enjoy your new ride.

I could be wrong, but I'm thinking you're on your own for the TPMS. The batteries inside the tires are 4 years old now, and probably the cause of the problem. I doubt the batteries are covered under CPO. You'll need 4 new sensors ($400), and all the tires dismounted, new sensors installed, then all the tires remounted and balanced ($100).

Looks like the first 1000 miles cost $500 in maintenance, or 50 cents per mile. That's about right for these cars.

Good luck, hope I'm wrong and Dr. Porsche covers the repairs.
Hopefully iy will be covered... else, the dealer in San Diego told me that would take care of it. Hopefully they will keep their word.

Quick Reply: San Diego to Denver Trip Report