Sponsored by:

Sketchy PPI

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 09:15 PM
Big C
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Sketchy PPI

I have been searching for my first Porsche and after scouring the net, this forum and driving three local examples (all 997.1) I found a car and had a PPI done today. I am in Canada and the car is in Texas so I am happy to pay someone to be my eyes as many others have done.

The car is a 2009 C2S, with just under 50k miles and CPO until 2015. My research and personal taste led me to seek a 997.2, black, with full leather and adaptive sport seats, also black. Bonus points would be SPASM, Carrera Classic wheels and no sport chrono. Well, the car I found meets the first three requirements, is equipped with SPASM and sport chrono but not the wheels. I had ticked enough boxes and agreed to $63k, subject to inspection.

Unfortunately, while mechanically sound the car has had both bumpers, front fenders, hood and driver's door resprayed. Black is a tough color to match but the new paint also fails in terms of texture and sanding marks. I am told that it looks great under bright sunshine and the defects were only noticed under the shop lights.

Carfax doesn't report any collisions and the mechanic doesn't see any signs of collision repair in terms of welding or replaced suspension members so we can only guess the paintwork was done for cosmetic reasons/parking mishaps/what have you?

Also, even though the car was supposed to have been through the CPO inspection it shows diagnostic fault codes stored for :

1.steering angle sensor not coded to vehicle
2. central gateway fault codes
3 instrument cluster fault codes

As if that was not enough, the battery has been replaced with one of the incorrect size.

I have yet to speak with the salesman at the dealer but even if they were to knock the price back to $60k and remedy the battery and fault codes I think I will pass. As I have read many times in this forum, there are many cars to choose from out there, no need to choose an example with a story. Also, I have read the comment, "why would I bother with a PPI when the car comes with CPO?" I am happy to have paid $254 and walk away from this deal.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:59 PM
PasPar2
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

how can they CPO it with this much paint work? very sketchy. I walked away from a car too after a ppi very similar to yours.

maybe post the vin here so that it comes up in searches? - help the next guy.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:05 PM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Just my 2 cents on the paint. With 50k miles there probably was significant dings and chips in the paint especially on a black car. I've seen dealers repaint hoods and bumpers prior to resale on high-end vehicles to make the car look new.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:08 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Big C
I have been searching for my first Porsche and after scouring the net, this forum and driving three local examples (all 997.1) I found a car and had a PPI done today. I am in Canada and the car is in Texas so I am happy to pay someone to be my eyes as many others have done.

The car is a 2009 C2S, with just under 50k miles and CPO until 2015. My research and personal taste led me to seek a 997.2, black, with full leather and adaptive sport seats, also black. Bonus points would be SPASM, Carrera Classic wheels and no sport chrono. Well, the car I found meets the first three requirements, is equipped with SPASM and sport chrono but not the wheels. I had ticked enough boxes and agreed to $63k, subject to inspection.

Unfortunately, while mechanically sound the car has had both bumpers, front fenders, hood and driver's door resprayed. Black is a tough color to match but the new paint also fails in terms of texture and sanding marks. I am told that it looks great under bright sunshine and the defects were only noticed under the shop lights.

Carfax doesn't report any collisions and the mechanic doesn't see any signs of collision repair in terms of welding or replaced suspension members so we can only guess the paintwork was done for cosmetic reasons/parking mishaps/what have you?

Also, even though the car was supposed to have been through the CPO inspection it shows diagnostic fault codes stored for :

1.steering angle sensor not coded to vehicle
2. central gateway fault codes
3 instrument cluster fault codes

As if that was not enough, the battery has been replaced with one of the incorrect size.

I have yet to speak with the salesman at the dealer but even if they were to knock the price back to $60k and remedy the battery and fault codes I think I will pass. As I have read many times in this forum, there are many cars to choose from out there, no need to choose an example with a story. Also, I have read the comment, "why would I bother with a PPI when the car comes with CPO?" I am happy to have paid $254 and walk away from this deal.
Parking mishaps?

Reads more like the car's a reject from a carnival bumper cars ride.

The body/paint work is done under shop lights. If the body/paint shop let the car out with that poor of a paint job I think you're right to walk away.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:31 PM
deijmaster
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CPO and that situation doesn't make any difference for Porsche anymore... It happened to me twice with CPO models and that's why I finally paid 10 grand more to get a mint car. I sent a letter to Porsche America and in Germany with no answers about this...

BTW, a 2009 at that price is ridiculous, a nice 09 should at least be in the 70s to get something proper. 1 year ago, I paid my 06 in the 60's and I'm super satisfied and would pay that price again in a sec for a single owner mint car. You what you pay for Big C...
Old 03-05-2012, 11:32 PM
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

No way in the world do you need to buy a car that has been painted when it is a 2009! Trust me the repaint will drive you nuts. It is better to pay the $10,000 more to get a clean car. I mean defects only noticed under shop lights? Back away far away!
Old 03-05-2012, 11:52 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,042 Likes on 535 Posts

At 50k miles/$63k and the noted paint it sounds like the dealer new he had a less than optimum car. With those miles and the paint I'd look a little further.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:07 AM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 63 Posts

Regarding the paint, depending on how close they are spraying to the edge of a car's panel, they may have to spray the neighboring panel to blend the paint even if that panel has no damage.

Example 1. Had a BMW 330 that a parking lot attendant smash up the front left fender. The hood was untouched but part of it was resprayed to match the new fender.

Example 2. My Cayenne had a bad door ding where the paint was chipped. Only way to do it right based on three body shops was to spray the door and blend it a little onto the rear door.

As mentioned above, I too can understand both bumpers being repainted. As far as the hood, fender and door, it could have been a bad key job on the fender. Or maybe the fender needed to be replaced with no damage to the frame and suspension? To me it comes down to the price. If it's low enough than it's accounted for.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:16 AM
Big C
Rennlist Member

I will agree that with 50k miles, which I hoped were highway miles, there might be a call for some front end paint work. No problem. But...the respray doesn't match the quality required of a Rennlister.

It does seem to be yet another example of you get what you pay for. I thought I would gamble the PPI cost in the hope that I might land one of those rare deals which I have read about when searching the archives. Again, no problem that it didn't work out.

There is a sweet, low mileage C2S (7500 miles/12000kms but no CPO) example in Vancouver priced at CDN$77k. The car is a 2008 so it does not directly compare although it does match my personal taste for full leather, adaptive sport seats, Carrera Classic wheels and no Sport Chrono. I will re-visit this deal and see what I can find to dispel the issue of a low mileage car which has sat too long. If that checks out and I can get them to budge a couple of $ I guess I will be happy.

As a new member, is it appropriate to list the VIN of the resprayed car as a head's up?
Old 03-06-2012, 12:27 AM
pewter82
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

CPO does limit how much painting can be done. Bluegrass Motorsport has a 09 C2S that has plenty of rock chips, that they cannot respray anymore and still offer a CPO. They could do just a limited amount of paint respray. This car is now under $70K with miles in the 30's IIRC. Black and Tan.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:36 AM
X51
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

Too many questions and oddities with this 2009.

I would pass and continue your search. I paid nearly $60k for my 2007 S back in October - like was said earlier you get what you pay for. I would pay up for a pristine example, but that's just me. Too many nits with a car just drives me crazy.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:29 AM
Big C
Rennlist Member

For perspective, my local dealer has a Guard's Red 2008 C4S, 30k kms (18.6k miles) 2 year CPO, full leather, adaptive sport seats, turbo wheels and a few red accents in the interior for CDN $70k. I have driven this car and have no complaints, I just don't desire red.

They also have a new, 2012, Black Edition for about CDN $97.3, but it doesn't have full leather or adaptive sport seats.

I typically add 10% to the US price of a car to approximate what it will ultimately cost me in Canadian dollars. It's true that today our currencies are essentially on par but I have to add shipping or air fare/travel expense (unless the car is in Seattle), 6.1% duty as well as minor importation charges to the US price .
Old 03-06-2012, 10:29 AM
Spokane5150
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd pass on this car. It will look worse in the sunlight. If the yoyo's that painted the car would have done a good job then I would buy the car.

Quick Reply: Sketchy PPI